THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An Artists Opinion  (Read 2303 times)

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
An Artists Opinion
« on: January 02, 2011, 01:11:38 PM »

I don't know if I've put this in the correct thread. Anyway. Last night I wrote a note on Facebook explaining how I felt about music and the arts. I know we have many artists on the Box and was wondering how you would feel if you were forbidden to create what you loved most.

Discuss!
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Morpheus Laughing

Re: An Artists Opinion
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 01:19:50 PM »

Forbidden by a person?
Forbidden by circumstances? (I guess that's more of a technicality but it amounts to the same thing).

I'd feel as sick in the stomach about it as I do now for not having my music computer (no means to capture ideas in the way I prefer).  

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 01:28:57 PM »

Forbidden in general. Like if you woke up tomorrow and knew that you were never allowed to create music, art, theatre, whatever it was.
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 01:53:09 PM »

It’s tricky to say… There would obviously be the similar frustration to what I’m feeling now but after that it would depend on how easily I could come to terms with it.  It’s a way of processing ideas and feelings so it depends on how readily that processing can switch to somewhere else. It’s actually very difficult to think of a substitute at the moment and in my case I can imagine that the frustration would probably re-ignite until something intervened in that process.

I’ve frequently imagined how much easier my life would be if I didn’t have this creativity addiction (which is what it feels like sometimes, particularly when the means for it aren't available).

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 03:28:34 AM »

This is going to sound retarded, but I don't care.

If I were forbidden to liberate myself through the only way I knew how, I would have killed myself years ago. I am a person that has an extremely difficult time expressing his true feelings to anyone beyond his own four walls. For me, music is an escape from my own self-destructive behaviours and those that try to enforce their beliefs on me, such as the government, the radio, the signs on the walls, and the media. Already I am following trends that have been set by our current era's "progress" with fashion, the people I see on the billboards and ads scattered across my city overwhelm my neighbours and I with subliminal messasges on how to look, and what to think, and what is socially acceptable in today's world. The bombardment of buy buy buy, and looking a certain way, or dressing a certain way has taken control of us, little by little. But in each one of us there is a small existence of our true self that has not yet been stained by society. We musn't let that go because that is what keeps us individuals. Humans, for lack of a better word. That is our only connection beyond the blankets of trend and mind control. I take advantage of my last strand of normalcy - in a sense of being a grounded human - through art. I reveal myself through my art by wringing out every thought, question, and frustration in my head one note at a time because I feel that it is the only way I can cope, if not temporarily leave, [with] my environment. Music and many other art forms has kept me alive in many ways. It has given me hope for mankind, it's given me the strength to carry on with my day-to-day life, it allows me to stay happy. Music supports my vision of a more honest, more loving, more peaceful, less archaic time. Without it I would feel and be nothing.

Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

louon

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 03:42:41 AM »

Humans are so good and at the top cause We are adaptive we can find ways to cope with and then overcome changes so I would find something else too love doing but then it would probably evolve into somthing they wouldnt let me do either ....No Fuck Im so Glad I dont live with my parents
I may as well be a 40 year old woman with lots of cats.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 11:07:11 AM »

I'm not sure it's possible to stop someone from creating art entirely.

Some time when you're bored, ask Google to show you some of the work created by prisoners-of-war,
from the American Civil War, or even earlier, to the present. Often with no "art supplies" and no formal
training, and frequently facing confiscation of their work, POWs from every nation have created pieces
of amazing insight and technical refinement.

Given enough repression, the artist may even make "resistance" into a performance-art.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 12:12:31 PM »

growing up, i had sketchbooks taken from me all the time.  drawing was always second to whatever anyone wanted me to do because it was all i wanted to do.  my mom wouldnt buy me coloring books, because she said they were uncreative, so i drew outlines and stapled them together to make my own.  we weren't allowed a television because mom believed it would give us radiation and besides, jesus didn't like teevee.

we lived near acres of woods, though, so when i got sent outside and frisked for books or paper, i'd go in the woods and build stuff.  or i would sneak into the library window and sit in there and read till mom caught on i was back inside.

whenever i was grounded, they took all pens and pencils and paper they could find away so i couldn't draw.  so i started carving things with my brother's pocketknife.  they took that away because girls weren't supposed to have knives, and i got another one.  and another.  finally i made one of mom's steak knives into a chisel and they gave up on me carrying a weapon.  no one ever gave me credit for a knife being an art tool, instead i got the reputation for being a badass.  when mom lost the 'how you will dress' battle with me, it just reinforced the badass stereotype.

the weird thing is i never drew on the walls, even as a toddler.  although i did once try to paint a skeleton on a black cat we had.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 08:44:24 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NSdXitBkFb0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NSdXitBkFb0</a>

^ Messiaen wrote the above piece while a prisoner in a Nazi concentration camp.

#@!

music box

• http://icemyeyes.deviantart.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 09:30:53 PM »

I would feel very lost and deeply upset.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 09:02:29 PM »

I would feel very lost and deeply upset.

I spent February through August of last year working on a set of six somewhat interlinked songs. When I finished the last uncompleted song (4th of the 6), the...umm, place in my head where the music comes from went silent for 2-1/2 months. That had never happened since it first started when I was 13 or 14.

It was actually nice for a while. I started to get a bit concerned around election day, but it started up again just before Thanksgiving, so it's all good.

:glasses9:

#@!

my beautiful idiot

• I was born to die alone.
    • tumblr
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 12:25:52 AM »

If I was ever forbidden from theater or from drawing or from sewing ... I wouldn't know what to do with myself. It would literally suck the soul out of me. I need a creative outlet in order to function.

cynthiaskeezy

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 05:22:52 AM »

I would die in such a way that somehow represents art....if I could.

Otherwise, I'd probably just die.
Christine O'Donnell is just like me. She's a gay left-leaner who masturbates daily.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 07:02:01 AM »

i would simply become a masked art vigilante....prowling the streets at night creating works of nightmare
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel
Pages: [1]   Go Up