THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 10  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Writer's Thread  (Read 19339 times)

Alyss

Re: The Writer's Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 06:40:24 PM »

Well the world needs both. And one of my favourite books ever is non-fiction, 'A People's Tragedy' by Orlando Figes.

Britt: I used to look for inspiration in adverts. Or, just hang around in public parks and eavesdrop, that's good.

Indie: Sure, email it over. I'm very new to screenplays myself, but I could read it and give you some feedback, if you want. Or just read it, whatever.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 11:23:23 AM »

I love getting inspiration from the people around me, whether they're like people I know or otherwise. I think people are by far the most interesting things in like the whole world ^.^ Like, the way they react to each other, how they interact, how they talk - I love language as well, so I really like hearing how different people speak or how the same person will talk in totally different ways depending on who they're with.

I suck at non-fic, I get bored. Not reading it, I mean - I quite like biographies and stuff - just writing it. Then again, my prose stuff is kinda crappy ^.^

Mockery

• Frank L. Baum's past bride and Oz princess
  • Lovely, lovely lady lumps
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 05:24:21 PM »

I write! Hooray! Represent! I am trying to get a book finished before June. It's non-fic. Anyone else write the non-fic?
I haven't tried yet but I would like too.
was too busy looking at the attractive girl in the weird paint vag bib.

I have 47 Indja Points

The King of Carrot Flowers

• 67 Indja Points
    • Surviving in a World of Stylish Peril
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 05:27:38 PM »

I write! Hooray! Represent! I am trying to get a book finished before June. It's non-fic. Anyone else write the non-fic?
I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove non-fiction! Anyone read The Devil in the White City?

Mockery

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 05:46:18 PM »

I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove non-fiction! Anyone read The Devil in the White City?
I've wanted to! Is it good?

I have 47 Indja Points

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 06:14:28 PM »

It's really good! I read it for a class (that I ended up not taking :(), and it was seriously one of the best books I'd ever read. Some people in the class didn't like it, though, so I guess it's an acquired taste.
Same with The Scarlet Letter...

Alyss

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 06:57:18 PM »

I get worried about sources in Non-Fiction though. A lot of stuff takes figures out of context, or just uses rumours to write...urgh...

Mockery

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 06:59:39 PM »

It's really good! I read it for a class (that I ended up not taking :(), and it was seriously one of the best books I'd ever read. Some people in the class didn't like it, though, so I guess it's an acquired taste.
Same with The Scarlet Letter...
Exciting. I really have been wanting to read that.

I have 47 Indja Points

Alyss

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 07:01:02 PM »

'The Butcher's Tale' is a great non-fic I read back when I was doing by end of sixth form history coursework. Novelistic but informative, the best kind.

Elle

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 03:33:51 AM »

Taking inspiration from the people around you is the best, becuase often times, the people around you are a lot more interesting and absurd than anything you could think up on your own. I have a tendency to see the amazing flitting beneath the surface of the ordinary...that's why I love non-fic so much.

As far as sources, that is a risk with non fic. I know that for my research-based books, I plan on some serious, thorough research with professionals in the fields explored and through available materials. But I am a huge whore for research, and that makes all the difference.

Fiction is wonderful and can be very beautiful and well done. But so many things happen in real life that are just....hilarious or ridiculous or amazing, and those things deserve to be pointed out. My take on it is that it takes all kinds. We need phenomenal fiction writers, playwrights, screenwriters, poets, lyricists, journalists, and non-fic writers. It's all equally important. Words are just beautiful, sacred things. <3
Only when you eat a lemon do you appreciate what sugar is. Life is a paradox...but is it really? Is the contradictions within and around us really a formal dissonance, or just another word for a chord in a language we're yet to discover?

Alyss

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 03:37:50 AM »

Here here. Incidentally, I still need to write something based on a story a friend of mine told me, about this time he was dating a girl with no sense of smell and they went to a perfume shop. Because she could smell any of them, she told him to choose one for her.

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 06:44:27 PM »

Here here. Incidentally, I still need to write something based on a story a friend of mine told me, about this time he was dating a girl with no sense of smell and they went to a perfume shop. Because she could smell any of them, she told him to choose one for her.
That asks an excellent philosophical: Do those who can't perceive that which they can't perceive?

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 07:12:46 PM »

I get worried about sources in Non-Fiction though. A lot of stuff takes figures out of context, or just uses rumours to write...urgh...

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell is a great non-fic.  It talks about split second decision making, and is actually entertaining.  I don't know how many people I have seen reading that book.  It took me about three days to get to the last chapter...and then stop reading.

But that's my horrible problem with any book.  I've done it to Good Omens, Everything Is Illuminated, and The Graveyard Book as well.

Alyss

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 12:16:08 AM »

That asks an excellent philosophical: Do those who can't perceive that which they can't perceive?
I pretty sure that sentence doesn't make any sense.

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2009, 12:32:53 AM »

I pretty sure that sentence doesn't make any sense.
My apologies:

"That asks an excellent philosophical question: Do those who cannot perceive need that which they cannot perceive?"

Much better!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 10  All   Go Up