THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High school girls basketball teams beats team with disabilities 100-0  (Read 2006 times)

ratsforcandy

• FbFb
Re: High school girls basketball teams beats team with disabilities 100-0
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:00:18 AM »

I read this story, but it didn't mention that the team was disable >.> Haha. I thought the girls were just plain bad.

The King of Carrot Flowers

• 67 Indja Points
    • Surviving in a World of Stylish Peril
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 12:04:58 AM »

^It did mention that the school taught kids with learning disabilities like dyslexia.

Seeking a forfeit is a stupid, selfish, assumptive thing to do.  A win is a win. They won. You don't win a basketball game by putting in the best effort; you win it by scoring more points than the other team. All they're doing here is trying to make it look like they aren't a bunch of bigoted punks who wouldn't take it easy on the disabled. If I were disabled, I wouldn't want a team that beat me to say "Sorry, but we're better than you" by rejecting that superiority. You won, get over it! If you wanna be a good sport, just tell the girls on the other team that they did a good job. But don't go so far as to denying the fact that you won!

ratsforcandy

• FbFb
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 12:06:05 AM »

I didn't mean that story, I should have been more clear.

:knuppel2:

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 12:11:23 AM »

I didn't mean that story, I should have been more clear.

:knuppel2:
It's okay, Rattie!

colordeaf

• New! Chicken of the Galaxy Dolphin Nuggets
    • Gallery of Questionable Taste
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 12:45:29 AM »

^It did mention that the school taught kids with learning disabilities like dyslexia.

Seeking a forfeit is a stupid, selfish, assumptive thing to do.  A win is a win. They won. You don't win a basketball game by putting in the best effort; you win it by scoring more points than the other team. All they're doing here is trying to make it look like they aren't a bunch of bigoted punks who wouldn't take it easy on the disabled. If I were disabled, I wouldn't want a team that beat me to say "Sorry, but we're better than you" by rejecting that superiority. You won, get over it! If you wanna be a good sport, just tell the girls on the other team that they did a good job. But don't go so far as to denying the fact that you won!

This is the sentiment echoed by the One-Armed Bandits baseball team (a team made of one-armed men, just like the name says) and many, many subjects of documentaries about "weird people" on TLC.
Dude...  I'm getting high just from being in the same room with you...

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 12:46:36 AM »

This is the sentiment echoed by the One-Armed Bandits baseball team (a team made of one-armed men, just like the name says) and many, many subjects of documentaries about "weird people" on TLC.
I think charity is a good thing when doled rationally and moderately. Don't give it to people when they don't need or want it.

Alyss

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 03:35:45 AM »

Quite.

music box

• http://icemyeyes.deviantart.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 10:31:54 AM »

damn.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 01:40:35 PM »

Did any of you read the story?

For starters, Covenant School, the school which won, is a church school.  Whatever your feelings
about organized religion or Christianity, the folks at Covenant came up with the idea of forfieting
after what they (clearly, not the coach, but the administration) characterised as an "un-Christian"
display...  Up by 80 points, still playing a full-court press and shooting 3-pointers?  The losing team
comes from a much smaller school for kids with the sorts of disabilities that might not affect ability
to play basketball, but they were clearly overmatched. Nevertheless, they stayed out there, kept trying...

The argument over the point of interscholastic athletics has been going on for a long time, and I doubt
I'll change anyone's mind.  HOWEVER, I feel strongly that warm-fuzzy notions like teamwork, sportsmanship,
fair play and such are far more important than learning to WIN!!!  IN yer face!  YAAAH!  Don't Bring that
noise to MY houuse! 

If you want that crap, just watch pro sports on the TV.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Alyss

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 02:31:21 PM »

That's why I said 'quite'. The girls won, and that should be the end of the story.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 01:25:06 AM »

That's why I said 'quite'. The girls won, and that should be the end of the story.
If it were playground basketball, sure.  Then again, if it were playground basketball, they should
have divided the teams differently.  In an organized game, though, the coach should have called
off the high-pressure defense and three-point shots; pass the ball around and let the clock run.

I don't blame the players for being a better team, or even for failing to stop and think "gosh, we're
being pretty damn mean here to a team that's obviously not as good as we are
."  I do blame the
coach(-es) for setting the wrong priorities.

On the other hand....  If you're playing a team that's remotely "in your league", running up a big lead then trying to coast to the end of the game can be both insulting to the opponents and suicidal, if only constant pressure is keeping them out of their game-plan.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?
Pages: [1]   Go Up