THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 24  All   Go Down

Author Topic: THE OFFICIAL ALYSS/MAN ALICE HATE/LOVE/Bitch&Moan thread  (Read 60117 times)

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
Re: THE OFFICIAL ALYSS/MAN ALICE HATE/LOVE/Bitch&Moan thread
« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2009, 05:04:09 PM »

Ok, so what he said was offensive, but he's apologised - aren't we open-minded enough to accept that?
Remember when we discussed the concept of "pro forma"....?
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2009, 05:04:31 PM »

Ok, so what he said was offensive, but he's apologised - aren't we open-minded enough to accept that?

Um. No. What does that mean again?

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »

He said "I'm sorry", but clearly felt no remorse, nor did he even show that he really grasped why
his behaviour had really pissed some people off (as opposed to people like me who just dislike
alt-personas).

Also, he started posting a whole lot of utterly pointless shit. 
Not mean or argumentative, just space-filling.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #198 on: February 02, 2009, 05:10:57 PM »

He said "I'm sorry", but clearly felt no remorse, nor did he even show that he really grasped why
his behaviour had really pissed some people off (as opposed to people like me who just dislike
alt-personas).

Also, he started posting a whole lot of utterly pointless shit. 
Not mean or argumentative, just space-filling.

Ah, whatever. I tried to care, I'm giving up now - do what you like! I'm going to bed.

That came out snottier than I meant it to - sorry. I just mean, I've said what I think, it's clearly pointless, so I'm giving up. Night! xxx

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: February 02, 2009, 05:24:59 PM »

G'night Indja!

Pleasant dreams...   :)

Kenny Wisdom

• Desire in a Bowl of Potatoes
  • Emmett does peace; his way.
« Reply #200 on: February 02, 2009, 05:35:30 PM »

http://www.diggers.org/overview.htm

A life played for keeps. Read it, dig it, man...

Laissez lire, et laissez danser; ces deux amusements ne feront jamais de mal au monde!!

Greg Nova wrote:
Harper tu n'es qu'un petit couillon!

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2009, 05:54:07 PM »

Wow...well then.  *ahem*  Getting on, shall we?

Mockery

• Frank L. Baum's past bride and Oz princess
  • Lovely, lovely lady lumps
« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2009, 06:14:35 PM »

He can still read the board but can't post. 

The problem has been handled for the time being.  I have muted "Man Alice". 
What does that mean, exactly?
Well at least we get a break.

I feel bad for being so bitchy towards him and I was in a bad mood but that's not an excuse. Either way, I think this was a good idea.
was too busy looking at the attractive girl in the weird paint vag bib.

I have 47 Indja Points

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: February 03, 2009, 12:46:06 AM »

Mister Wisdom, why is that woman drawing a chalk-line across the street?

Kenny Wisdom

• Desire in a Bowl of Potatoes
  • Emmett does peace; his way.
« Reply #204 on: February 03, 2009, 01:38:03 AM »

Mister Wisdom, why is that woman drawing a chalk-line across the street?

Kenny Wisdoms Pick-N-Mix-Joke-A-Rama-Pick-an-Answer Service®

[Delete as applicable]

1. To get to the other side.

2. Because a pervert was attached.

3. To prove to the possum it could actually be done.

4. It was an historical inevitability.

5. Because of an excess of light pink gooey stuff in its pancreas.

6. You allow your gender bias stereotype conditioning to presuppose that long hair and vaguely gender-assigned clothing means it's a woman. That's why we should draw a line. Amen, phallus.
http://www.diggers.org/overview.htm

A life played for keeps. Read it, dig it, man...

Laissez lire, et laissez danser; ces deux amusements ne feront jamais de mal au monde!!

Greg Nova wrote:
Harper tu n'es qu'un petit couillon!

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #205 on: February 03, 2009, 02:43:33 AM »

So what you're saying is....

That woman works for Nigella's legal representation, and she's demonstrating in clearest terms
exactly how close you may come to the house before you're in violation of the restraining order...

Right?

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #206 on: February 03, 2009, 03:11:36 AM »

With all due respect to Kovacs, "not feeding the trolls" is a problematic concept on so many levels. First of all, it assumes intent, and people are notoriously and grossly inept at that. Secondly, it assumes that a community could ever really act in conjunction like that. Suggesting it is just a "the end is near" sandwich board. It also utilizes a label. Trolls. It's absurd. Who knows what a troll is? I see peopel being called trolls because their words upset some people. I see people with noble objectives being called trolls. I don't even see any evidence that a community, as a whole, has a sense of when they are gaining something from such a thing. Then we get people all worked up, being reinforced in their overreactions (with all due respect to Rini Martini) instead of helping them contextualize something that is more like the real world than the indignant deceived like to acknowledge. Then... a silencing? I agree that the post rate is a little ridiculous, but so were many posters when they first popped up on the scene. The kid is a drama major. I honestly don't know what was posted. I haven't read the items of offense, but I bet I know where the power of the lies is coming from.

Ignore? I think that's the unhealthiest way a community can deal with anything. No... it's the second unhealthiest. Silencing someone is worse. If you let this kid post, eventually he will either become a normal member of the community or he will wander somewhere else. You lack trust for him? Then don't send him money. You don't like what he says? Respond or don't Anything done as a statement, and anything done to solve it as a problem, is misguided action.

In my opinion.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

Kovacs

« Reply #207 on: February 03, 2009, 03:28:17 AM »

Ignoring the trolls, board wide, never works in practice. I didn't really expect it to. Someone always takes the bait.

But it really is the only way to deal with them. You're kind of assigning far, far too much depth to the term troll (at least how I envision it), and it does have a solid definition. One who is not on a board for the general interest that the others have, but there to invoke reactions from people, either positive or negative. They watch topics go by, and post everywhere, hoping someone takes the bait. Like....you know.......trolling for fish?  :D

Most do not have motives beyond antagonizing. But you and I don't really agree on the benefits of antagonization for it's own sake, so it doesn't surprise me you'd disagree with me here.

This kids biggest tell was him still having the sig, tagline, and custom text he did. Each apology and attempt at friendliness was hilarious given in that context.

And the post rate was far, far beyond She, Ma Chao, Seth, any of them. It wasn't just distracting, it was overwhelming. You might find something positive there, but it'd be tough. Then again, I'm not sure I support the silencing either, though I can't offer an alternative solution.

Bill H

• Shadowbox Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Facebook
« Reply #208 on: February 03, 2009, 03:35:15 AM »

He and I have talked and he agrees that I made the right move but out of curiosity, how do these things tend to play out on your forum?  I've never been on a forum where no one is banned and I might could learn from that. 

With all due respect to Kovacs, "not feeding the trolls" is a problematic concept on so many levels. First of all, it assumes intent, and people are notoriously and grossly inept at that. Secondly, it assumes that a community could ever really act in conjunction like that. Suggesting it is just a "the end is near" sandwich board. It also utilizes a label. Trolls. It's absurd. Who knows what a troll is? I see peopel being called trolls because their words upset some people. I see people with noble objectives being called trolls. I don't even see any evidence that a community, as a whole, has a sense of when they are gaining something from such a thing. Then we get people all worked up, being reinforced in their overreactions (with all due respect to Rini Martini) instead of helping them contextualize something that is more like the real world than the indignant deceived like to acknowledge. Then... a silencing? I agree that the post rate is a little ridiculous, but so were many posters when they first popped up on the scene. The kid is a drama major. I honestly don't know what was posted. I haven't read the items of offense, but I bet I know where the power of the lies is coming from.

Ignore? I think that's the unhealthiest way a community can deal with anything. No... it's the second unhealthiest. Silencing someone is worse. If you let this kid post, eventually he will either become a normal member of the community or he will wander somewhere else. You lack trust for him? Then don't send him money. You don't like what he says? Respond or don't Anything done as a statement, and anything done to solve it as a problem, is misguided action.

In my opinion.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #209 on: February 03, 2009, 03:50:07 AM »

I've been banned from his forum.

*snerk*

Maybe you don't wanna learn from great, ancient master Numbers.  I kick forum, and indeed FORUM KICK BACK!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 24  All   Go Up