THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AFP's not camera shy and her YouTube and Vimeo channels are chock-full of eye candy to prove it. Content's added to both all the time, so be sure to subscribe!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: High-fructose corn syrup contains mercury  (Read 3075 times)

music box

• http://icemyeyes.deviantart.com/
High-fructose corn syrup contains mercury
« on: January 29, 2009, 11:45:43 PM »

Study: High-fructose corn syrup contains mercury

By Robert Preidt, HealthDay
Almost half of tested samples of commercial high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) contained mercury, which was also found in nearly a third of 55 popular brand-name food and beverage products where HFCS is the first- or second-highest labeled ingredient, according to two new U.S. studies.

HFCS has replaced sugar as the sweetener in many beverages and foods such as breads, cereals, breakfast bars, lunch meats, yogurts, soups and condiments. On average, Americans consume about 12 teaspoons per day of HFCS, but teens and other high consumers can take in 80% more HFCS than average.

"Mercury is toxic in all its forms. Given how much high-fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the [U.S. Food and Drug Administration] to help stop this avoidable mercury contamination of the food supply," the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy's Dr. David Wallinga, a co-author of both studies, said in a prepared statement.

In the first study, published in current issue of Environmental Health, researchers found detectable levels of mercury in nine of 20 samples of commercial HFCS.

And in the second study, the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP), a non-profit watchdog group, found that nearly one in three of 55 brand-name foods contained mercury. The chemical was found most commonly in HFCS-containing dairy products, dressings and condiments.

But an organization representing the refiners is disputing the results published in Environmental Health.

"This study appears to be based on outdated information of dubious significance," said Audrae Erickson, president of the Corn Refiners Association, in a statement. "Our industry has used mercury-free versions of the two re-agents mentioned in the study, hydrochloric acid and caustic soda, for several years. These mercury-free re-agents perform important functions, including adjusting pH balances."

However, the IATP told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that four plants in Georgia, Tennessee, Ohio and West Virginia still use "mercury-cell" technology that can lead to contamination.

IATP's Ben Lilliston also told HealthDay that the Environmental Health findings were based on information gathered by the FDA in 2005.

And the group's own study, while not peer-reviewed, was based on products "bought off the shelf in the autumn of 2008," Lilliston added.

The use of mercury-contaminated caustic soda in the production of HFCS is common. The contamination occurs when mercury cells are used to produce caustic soda.

"The bad news is that nobody knows whether or not their soda or snack food contains HFCS made from ingredients like caustic soda contaminated with mercury. The good news is that mercury-free HFCS ingredients exist. Food companies just need a good push to only use those ingredients," Wallinga said in his prepared statement.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-01-27-corn-syrup_N.htm?POE=click-refer

well shit.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
Re: High-fructose corn syrup contains mercury
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 11:59:24 PM »

I knew there was a reason I avoid that stuff whenever/wherever possible.

Problem is, it's in everything...

Except:

Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.   :)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

music box

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:45:27 AM »

Problem is, it's in everything...

exactly.

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 11:49:13 AM »

Best Soda EVER (tied with most jones sodas)
http://www.dublindrpepper.com/
and no HFCS!
bitch please, my hate can't be contained in one thread.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 03:02:14 PM »

The Kroger stores near me have regular ol' Coca-Cola (sweetened with HFCS) in the soda aisle
for about $3 for a six-pack...  and over in the imported-foods aisle, the have Mexican-bottled
Coke (sugar-sweetened) for about $3 a bottle (that's a roughly-pint-size bottle)....

Call me racist or whatever, but two things that bug me:
France's National Anthem is a better song than ours...
...and Mexico's CocaCola is better than ours...

It's just not right.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Five

• Six!?
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 10:50:19 PM »

Fuck. 5 cokes a day.

Mercury is also in tooth fillings. Damn it.

Bubblegum Britt

• is flirting with too many disasters.
  • All is fair in love and war and love
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 10:51:56 PM »

Best Soda EVER (tied with most jones sodas)
http://www.dublindrpepper.com/
and no HFCS!

I just Jones sodas, but I always feel like I'm just giving myself diabetes whenever I drink one.

music box

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 11:06:12 PM »

jones soda is good, but it isn't something i can drink on a regular basis.

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 09:52:19 PM »

There are 90 grams of sugar in a Jolt Blue, my soda of choice. I drink about three a day. SOmetimes four, but we'll call it three for the sake of the math. Fifty grams equal twelve teaspoons of high fructose corn syrup. I drink more than five times that in a day. I am drinking in excess of sixty teaspoons of high fructose corn syrup every day.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 10:58:04 PM »

This is why I drink water, hot tea, Izze (if I can find it), and Lorina juices (if I can find them).  *mouth water*  I've never liked soda (though if I'm around a Coke drinker, I'll have one once in a while), but I love sparkling water (Perrier not Pellegrino pls), and I love fruit juice.  Izze is both.  Squeek.

Yes, I actually have a sparkling water preference.  There's something sweeter about Perrier that I like.  Especially the lemon-flavored Perrier.  *lame*

edit:  Wtf, Wyatt?  You're gonna be dead or fat before the apocalypse (which apparently is coming pretty soon, according to Southern folk).

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
  • Don't shootshootshoot that thing at me!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 11:11:09 PM »

The Kroger stores near me have regular ol' Coca-Cola (sweetened with HFCS) in the soda aisle
for about $3 for a six-pack...  and over in the imported-foods aisle, the have Mexican-bottled
Coke
(sugar-sweetened) for about $3 a bottle (that's a roughly-pint-size bottle)....

Call me racist or whatever, but two things that bug me:
France's National Anthem is a better song than ours...
...and Mexico's CocaCola is better than ours...

It's just not right.

We sell these -- and the Mexican Pepsi -- at the record store I work at for $1.00 each.
Quote from: armyoflarry
Sweet!!! Ummm, I mean that fills my soul with Northern Darkness of Frostbitten Empires and stuff.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 11:36:12 PM »

edit:  Wtf, Wyatt?  You're gonna be dead or fat before the apocalypse (which apparently is coming pretty soon, according to Southern folk).

It's probably not very good, huh? I've lived this long though, and I've been swilling ungodly amounts of soda since I was fifteen. I'll be thirty-nine day after tomorrow.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 11:42:44 PM »

ZOMG HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY, MAH NIGGA!

xD

Kovacs

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 11:44:13 PM »

In the first study, published in current issue of Environmental Health, researchers found detectable levels of mercury in nine of 20 samples of commercial HFCS.

And in the second study, the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP), a non-profit watchdog group, found that nearly one in three of 55 brand-name foods contained mercury. The chemical was found most commonly in HFCS-containing dairy products, dressings and condiments.

I can never understand studies like this.

That's a horrible way to do an experiment. They only test 20 samples? Really? I mean...it doesn't even take that long. I don't get it. Grab 100 samples why don't you? And test em in triplicate.

Still, the stuff is bad for you. Wyatt, that's pretty awful. I'd recommend cutting back now, before you're ordered to stop entirely so you don't become diabetic.  :buck2:

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 01:07:51 AM »

I think I'd have to replace it with the blood of innocents for the first few months. Sometimes, I'll have a beer so I'm not drinking so much soda.

And thank you, Caddy. It's very unlike me to let it be known in public like this.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up