THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down

Author Topic: National Eating Disorders Awareness Week.  (Read 9415 times)

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
National Eating Disorders Awareness Week.
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:10:36 AM »

Couldn't find anything like this with trusty search, but link me if I missed it.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/programs-events/nedawareness-week.php

My theater company and I put on a special request show last week to raise some pennies. My director went to donate this morning.

You guys do/doing anything? Like the idea of a support week? I personally do, considering how taboo discussion about stuff like this (in all seriousness, not media opinion) is.

Tshabalala

Re: National Eating Disorders Awareness Week.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 03:12:00 AM »

I personally do, considering how taboo discussion about stuff like this (in all seriousness, not media opinion) is.

It must be taboo. I have never even heard of this thing you call eating disorder.

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:15:43 AM »

I personally do, considering how taboo discussion about stuff like this (in all seriousness, not media opinion) is.

It must be taboo. I have never even heard of this thing you call eating disorder.

Click the above link and get learning :)

armyoflarry

• and army of names
  • a human, lyman sinister, jupiter or japan
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 11:34:12 AM »

Don't worry, the fake poster knows all about it and just wanted to waste our time pretending to be someone else.
Also, oh my God I could eat your family pets right now. GNNFFGH!!

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:47:24 AM »

Don't worry, the fake poster knows all about it and just wanted to waste our time pretending to be someone else.

I thought a much from looking at other posts. But then I thought, who could be as callus as to pick holes in a good cause like this?

Heh.

In other, more related news, I managed to get some flyer's up with links/numbers on. Seems like a lot of work, but if it gets just one guy or gal out of this hell, I care not. That, and I like making flyers.

Tshabalala

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 12:27:05 PM »

I am sorry. Please document your time lost and describe the goals you were trying to reach. I will proceed with whatever laborious efforts necessary to help you catch up.

I thought a much from looking at other posts. But then I thought, who could be as callus as to pick holes in a good cause like this?

Likewise, I will campaign to repair the damage I have done to your good cause. Perhaps I could arrange speaking engagements. You know, like talking to groups of skinny people about nutrition. I could bring mangoes!

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 12:51:32 PM »

I am sorry. Please document your time lost and describe the goals you were trying to reach. I will proceed with whatever laborious efforts necessary to help you catch up.

Likewise, I will campaign to repair the damage I have done to your good cause. Perhaps I could arrange speaking engagements. You know, like talking to groups of skinny people about nutrition. I could bring mangoes!

You can leave right now if you're going to take the piss. I won't stand for it.

old news

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 01:12:49 PM »

Someone has a warped and twisted sense of humour. Go away, you puppet account.

I'm not doing anything myself, since I'm so weighted down by things as it is, but I fully support those who are.

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 01:19:50 PM »

Someone has a warped and twisted sense of humour. Go away, you puppet account.

I'm not doing anything myself, since I'm so weighted down by things as it is, but I fully support those who are.

Yeah, we shall ignore the troll :)

Sometimes it's just about awareness. I mean, the number of people who've either asked me, or I've spoken to about this type of mental illness know only what the media shows. Unfortunately, that info is highly cliched and inaccurate... It's actually rather annoying, especially when people use it aganst those struggling.

Thanks for your support, moon.

Tshabalala

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 02:33:45 PM »

You girls are being ridiculous. One quick quip and you whip out every cliche of internet indignation that you know. There was no disrespect or trivialization of the condition. The bad feelings were born in the responses. As they say in my country, "O lọ sÍjẹ̀bú ẹ̀ẹ̀kan, o ru igbá àṣẹ bọ̀ wálé." I suspect I know a lot more than you realize about this condition and am sensitive to it when such sensitivity is warranted. I also suspect the world is more aware of the nuances of this condition than your "nobody understands me" instinct will allow you to believe.The path you are walking is shorter if you can get over yourselves.

Kovacs

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 03:54:03 PM »

There was no disrespect or trivialization of the condition. The bad feelings were born in the responses.

Same ol', same ol'.

Don't you ever get tired of setting the same trap, over and over?

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 03:55:49 PM »

*ugh*

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 04:00:32 PM »

You girls are being ridiculous. One quick quip and you whip out every cliche of internet indignation that you know. There was no disrespect or trivialization of the condition. The bad feelings were born in the responses. As they say in my country, "O lọ sÍjẹ̀bú ẹ̀ẹ̀kan, o ru igbá àṣẹ bọ̀ wálé." I suspect I know a lot more than you realize about this condition and am sensitive to it when such sensitivity is warranted. I also suspect the world is more aware of the nuances of this condition than your "nobody understands me" instinct will allow you to believe.The path you are walking is shorter if you can get over yourselves.

With all due respect I don't care. Take it elsewhere. This thread isn't about pettiness, it's supposed to be about spreading the word for a good cause, one that means a lot to me. Either offer your *on topic* opinion and ideas or leave.

old news

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 04:10:42 PM »

As they say in my country, "It's fun to be an Internet troll and provoke people to get a reaction"

Fixed.

I've had a few friends who have either come very close or have had disorders themselves, and it's not pleasant. I'm not a million miles away from it myself, although I do try and keep myself only slightly underweight at most if I can help it.

The media sensationalise so much. I don't know if they realise that their inaccuracies and stereotyping cause so much disruption.

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 04:52:17 PM »

I'm not a million miles away from it myself, although I do try and keep myself only slightly underweight at most if I can help it.

It's good your aware, but still worrying. I've wandered down your road and it didn't take me to a nice place... I hope you can find a better turn.

The media sensationalise so much. I don't know if they realise that their inaccuracies and stereotyping cause so much disruption.

Indeed. I can't tell you how many times I've had people say to me, 'so you don't eat to look like a model?' And it's so freaking inaccurate, and frankly rather insulting. In fact, when I was in NY, some guy knocked me over, turned to apologize but called me an 'anorexic bitch' instead. Things like that just highlight the problem. You see only very few idiots joking about cancer, or other physical illnesses, but the second it's mentally based people who were seemingly accepting of others change.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up