THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: National Eating Disorders Awareness Week.  (Read 9416 times)

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
National Eating Disorders Awareness Week.
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:10:36 AM »

Couldn't find anything like this with trusty search, but link me if I missed it.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/programs-events/nedawareness-week.php

My theater company and I put on a special request show last week to raise some pennies. My director went to donate this morning.

You guys do/doing anything? Like the idea of a support week? I personally do, considering how taboo discussion about stuff like this (in all seriousness, not media opinion) is.

Tshabalala

Re: National Eating Disorders Awareness Week.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 03:12:00 AM »

I personally do, considering how taboo discussion about stuff like this (in all seriousness, not media opinion) is.

It must be taboo. I have never even heard of this thing you call eating disorder.

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:15:43 AM »

I personally do, considering how taboo discussion about stuff like this (in all seriousness, not media opinion) is.

It must be taboo. I have never even heard of this thing you call eating disorder.

Click the above link and get learning :)

armyoflarry

• and army of names
  • a human, lyman sinister, jupiter or japan
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 11:34:12 AM »

Don't worry, the fake poster knows all about it and just wanted to waste our time pretending to be someone else.
Also, oh my God I could eat your family pets right now. GNNFFGH!!

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:47:24 AM »

Don't worry, the fake poster knows all about it and just wanted to waste our time pretending to be someone else.

I thought a much from looking at other posts. But then I thought, who could be as callus as to pick holes in a good cause like this?

Heh.

In other, more related news, I managed to get some flyer's up with links/numbers on. Seems like a lot of work, but if it gets just one guy or gal out of this hell, I care not. That, and I like making flyers.

Tshabalala

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 12:27:05 PM »

I am sorry. Please document your time lost and describe the goals you were trying to reach. I will proceed with whatever laborious efforts necessary to help you catch up.

I thought a much from looking at other posts. But then I thought, who could be as callus as to pick holes in a good cause like this?

Likewise, I will campaign to repair the damage I have done to your good cause. Perhaps I could arrange speaking engagements. You know, like talking to groups of skinny people about nutrition. I could bring mangoes!

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 12:51:32 PM »

I am sorry. Please document your time lost and describe the goals you were trying to reach. I will proceed with whatever laborious efforts necessary to help you catch up.

Likewise, I will campaign to repair the damage I have done to your good cause. Perhaps I could arrange speaking engagements. You know, like talking to groups of skinny people about nutrition. I could bring mangoes!

You can leave right now if you're going to take the piss. I won't stand for it.

old news

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 01:12:49 PM »

Someone has a warped and twisted sense of humour. Go away, you puppet account.

I'm not doing anything myself, since I'm so weighted down by things as it is, but I fully support those who are.

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 01:19:50 PM »

Someone has a warped and twisted sense of humour. Go away, you puppet account.

I'm not doing anything myself, since I'm so weighted down by things as it is, but I fully support those who are.

Yeah, we shall ignore the troll :)

Sometimes it's just about awareness. I mean, the number of people who've either asked me, or I've spoken to about this type of mental illness know only what the media shows. Unfortunately, that info is highly cliched and inaccurate... It's actually rather annoying, especially when people use it aganst those struggling.

Thanks for your support, moon.

Tshabalala

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 02:33:45 PM »

You girls are being ridiculous. One quick quip and you whip out every cliche of internet indignation that you know. There was no disrespect or trivialization of the condition. The bad feelings were born in the responses. As they say in my country, "O lọ sÍjẹ̀bú ẹ̀ẹ̀kan, o ru igbá àṣẹ bọ̀ wálé." I suspect I know a lot more than you realize about this condition and am sensitive to it when such sensitivity is warranted. I also suspect the world is more aware of the nuances of this condition than your "nobody understands me" instinct will allow you to believe.The path you are walking is shorter if you can get over yourselves.

Kovacs

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 03:54:03 PM »

There was no disrespect or trivialization of the condition. The bad feelings were born in the responses.

Same ol', same ol'.

Don't you ever get tired of setting the same trap, over and over?

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 03:55:49 PM »

*ugh*

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 04:00:32 PM »

You girls are being ridiculous. One quick quip and you whip out every cliche of internet indignation that you know. There was no disrespect or trivialization of the condition. The bad feelings were born in the responses. As they say in my country, "O lọ sÍjẹ̀bú ẹ̀ẹ̀kan, o ru igbá àṣẹ bọ̀ wálé." I suspect I know a lot more than you realize about this condition and am sensitive to it when such sensitivity is warranted. I also suspect the world is more aware of the nuances of this condition than your "nobody understands me" instinct will allow you to believe.The path you are walking is shorter if you can get over yourselves.

With all due respect I don't care. Take it elsewhere. This thread isn't about pettiness, it's supposed to be about spreading the word for a good cause, one that means a lot to me. Either offer your *on topic* opinion and ideas or leave.

old news

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 04:10:42 PM »

As they say in my country, "It's fun to be an Internet troll and provoke people to get a reaction"

Fixed.

I've had a few friends who have either come very close or have had disorders themselves, and it's not pleasant. I'm not a million miles away from it myself, although I do try and keep myself only slightly underweight at most if I can help it.

The media sensationalise so much. I don't know if they realise that their inaccuracies and stereotyping cause so much disruption.

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 04:52:17 PM »

I'm not a million miles away from it myself, although I do try and keep myself only slightly underweight at most if I can help it.

It's good your aware, but still worrying. I've wandered down your road and it didn't take me to a nice place... I hope you can find a better turn.

The media sensationalise so much. I don't know if they realise that their inaccuracies and stereotyping cause so much disruption.

Indeed. I can't tell you how many times I've had people say to me, 'so you don't eat to look like a model?' And it's so freaking inaccurate, and frankly rather insulting. In fact, when I was in NY, some guy knocked me over, turned to apologize but called me an 'anorexic bitch' instead. Things like that just highlight the problem. You see only very few idiots joking about cancer, or other physical illnesses, but the second it's mentally based people who were seemingly accepting of others change.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 05:04:57 PM »

In fact, when I was in NY, some guy knocked me over, turned to apologize but called me an 'anorexic bitch' instead.

Yes, because it was your eating habits that caused him to run into you, I'm sure.

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 05:08:03 PM »

In fact, when I was in NY, some guy knocked me over, turned to apologize but called me an 'anorexic bitch' instead.

Yes, because it was your eating habits that caused him to run into you, I'm sure.

Oh, of course.

Tshabalala

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 06:55:39 PM »

Same ol', same ol'.

I have certainly not meant to set any traps here.

With all due respect I don't care. Take it elsewhere. This thread isn't about pettiness, it's supposed to be about spreading the word for a good cause, one that means a lot to me. Either offer your *on topic* opinion and ideas or leave.

My original comment expressed an on topic opinion. It might have been an indirect method of expression, but everyone seemed to understand my meaning. Since then, my commnets have been responses to things said to me. We can continue discussing this in whatever way you see fit. I actually know more than the average person about eating disorders. I also know quite a bit about how the rest of our society sees them. As far as me leaving, you can save your finger strokes. I'll do this for you though. I will make my statement directly, and I will tell you why I think it is healthier for people with eating disorders to understand it. The subject is not taboo amongst the larger population. It is a portion those with the disorders with sensitivities about discussing it. The other portion loves to discuss it. Those of us impacted by the eating disorders of others discuss it quite freely, and the unaffected discuss it as the topic arises.

Eating disorders are, in part, an askew perspective on reality. Perpetuating this with misconceptions is not healthy. As a person who has been dramatically affected by eating disorders, I feel (and felt) it was my duty to bring this concept to the surface. Armyoflarry feeling the need to focus on his beliefs regarding my account status, and the application of the label troll are the sources of off-topic drama. My purpose is to shine the light of reality on the subject. Unless you want to continue to characterize me as someone who means his words as a pisstake instead of discussing eating disorders.

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 07:01:34 PM »

Tshabalala, you're my new fave SBer.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 08:42:30 PM »

Pfft, now everyone is a troll. :uglystupid2:

Kovacs

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 08:43:43 PM »

Same ol', same ol'.

I have certainly not meant to set any traps here.

My original comment expressed an on topic opinion. It might have been an indirect method of expression, but everyone seemed to understand my meaning. Since then, my commnets have been responses to things said to me. We can continue discussing this in whatever way you see fit. I actually know more than the average person about eating disorders. I also know quite a bit about how the rest of our society sees them. As far as me leaving, you can save your finger strokes. I'll do this for you though. I will make my statement directly, and I will tell you why I think it is healthier for people with eating disorders to understand it. The subject is not taboo amongst the larger population. It is a portion those with the disorders with sensitivities about discussing it. The other portion loves to discuss it. Those of us impacted by the eating disorders of others discuss it quite freely, and the unaffected discuss it as the topic arises.

Eating disorders are, in part, an askew perspective on reality. Perpetuating this with misconceptions is not healthy. As a person who has been dramatically affected by eating disorders, I feel (and felt) it was my duty to bring this concept to the surface. Armyoflarry feeling the need to focus on his beliefs regarding my account status, and the application of the label troll are the sources of off-topic drama. My purpose is to shine the light of reality on the subject. Unless you want to continue to characterize me as someone who means his words as a pisstake instead of discussing eating disorders.

Well, now you've got me laughing. You're so full of it man, seriously. Pretty words though.

First:
- You're not Albert Tshabalala. http://www.the-islomaniac.com/2007/07/island-conmen-albert-tshabalala.html
- You're probably Wyatt.

What you said:

Sure, I can see you trying to make a point here (nevermind the fact that its the second post in the thread, not even letting the discussion begin). Eating disorders are unheard of in other cultures. Good of you to elaborate on that point straight out, instead of leaving a single statement than can be interperated as inflamitory. Oh, wait.

That's why it's a trap. You say you have an overall point, but you deliberately make the initial attempts trollish, or troll seeming. That way, when people react, you can place all the blame on them, and say you were "just responding". How could they not have seen it!

It works, because you usually do have a point. It's not trolling, but it's definitely not as noble as you make it out to be. And it's for sure not you being misunderstood.

You can't later say "oh, I have an overall purpose, it reads like this" when you first make one sentance statements, designed to bait. Just say what you mean if you want to make a point, instead of these things always degenerating into you defending yourself from reactions.

And I do agree that people, especially here, are too quick to react. But most of the time you're to blame, not them. You like it. There's no other explanation to you using the same tactic, over and over, when you could avoid it so easily.

And what you say later:

Oh, yeah, that definitely jives with:

My purpose is to shine the light of reality on the subject. Unless you want to continue to characterize me as someone who means his words as a pisstake instead of discussing eating disorders.

How could anyone characterize you as a pisstake, what with the gem of complete sincerity and not-taking-the-pissness above! Heaven forbid! C'mon.

If you really were trying to make a point using your alias, you'd say the larger post I quoted at the top (minus the misunderstoodness and denial) straight out. You never do, it's always inflame first, then blame people for reacting, because you get a kick out of it. You justify it with "furthering communication", while ignoring the fact that this is all text, you can't achieve that kind of communication and nuance here. If your statements really are meant as you say they are meant, it's being lost in translation.

I don't blame you for it, do what you want. But I'm tired of seeing you use your grasp of the English language to weasel your way out of what you're really doing (or at least how you're presenting yourself). Let the people discuss eating disorders, contribute and make your point, but don't start the "woe is me" routine when you're the one that posted on a serious topic under an alias in the first place.

I know you try and defy convention, try and give alt accounts "meaning" (and to a certain extent you do) but you sometimes miss the mark. And when you do, people have a legitimite right to being upset, and all your posturing comes across as feeble justifications, and deflection of blame, to be frank.

Haushinka

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 08:45:15 PM »

I AM A TROLL. I DO NOT EXIST. I WAS A LIE ALL ALONG.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 08:49:54 PM »

I AM A TROLL. I DO NOT EXIST. I WAS A LIE ALL ALONG.

The truth, is I am Haushinka, I have pretended to be Haushinka all this time, that's why I want to marry me.

Haushinka

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 09:13:48 PM »

I'm going to offer some kind of understanding to not understand thing here-

OK. My personal opinion here. I know people who have eating disorders. I currently have one old friend in hospital because nobody can make her eat. It is really too hard for me to understand this as an illness. All of the girls I know who have experienced this have done so at points in their lives where they felt lacking in energy or attention or love or SOMETHING. For some it was borne out of Vanity and for others from a need for attention. I think it's hard to deny either of these as HUGE factors in the start of a (very probably) addictive affair with control over food. As a result I have always found it hard to empathise or even sympathise with Anorexics and Bulimics. I understand it becomes addictive, I understand addiction. But the start of it is almst always a conscious decision to either LOOK SKINNIER or cry for help by controlling one aspect of your life.

This is only my opinion. I've obviously not personally had an eating disorder so I may be getting it all wrong. But I hope what I've said makes it easier for people arguing on the other side of the coin to see how people like me view it.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Tshabalala

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 09:36:31 PM »

There's no other explanation to you using the same tactic, over and over, when you could avoid it so easily.

There is another explanation. I seek to underscore certain truths, but I also speak as the words come to mind. My first though when reading the girl's words was "Oh... right. Anorexia is really taboo. It's discussed in countless documentaries, all over forums and it has been for decades." Snark emerged. That was what I thought, and it was a bit funny to me. The words I typed represented the most accurate protrayal of my feelings. My responses since, I might also add, are not of the "woe is me" character. They are adverserial and explanatory. I am not claiming any injury. I have true meaning behind every word I say, and I also shoot from the hip. In the end, the message is delivered.

And what you say later:

My purpose is to shine the light of reality on the subject. Unless you want to continue to characterize me as someone who means his words as a pisstake instead of discussing eating disorders.

How could anyone characterize you as a pisstake, what with the gem of complete sincerity and not-taking-the-pissness above! Heaven forbid! C'mon.

A desire to shed light on a subject does not preclude the employment of the occasional, rich vein of sarcasm. It is not mango season.

If you really were trying to make a point using your alias, you'd say the larger post I quoted at the top (minus the misunderstoodness and denial) straight out. You never do, it's always inflame first, then blame people for reacting, because you get a kick out of it.

Man, I made a point with a little humor. It wasn't even a little over the top, especially not for a public forum. My subsequent posts were of the character they were because ArmyofLarry came in with his Holier-Than-Thou Asshole cape in trail. I wasn't counting on or hoping for any huge reaction to my first post, but neither am I surprised by it. My choices are two. I could temper my humor and modify my messages (and despise myself), or I can risk poking the occasional sensitive rib. It's been a lot of years, me on this planet. My kid gloves don't fit anymore. If I had thought my initial comment would disrupt the momentum of the message of this thread, I might have waited. Maybe. It seemed pretty innocuous, but I don't measure every possibility.

Regarding the article you posted about me; I don't know what point it makes, but there are more interesting and recent articles. I have just this month, left Raratonga, to return to Africa. I may blog about my adventures travelling up the continent from Capetown to Lagos. I'll be sure to post a link.

Haushinka

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 09:40:14 PM »

It is not mango season.

If only I could laugh like this every day!
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 10:02:35 PM »

My personal opinion here. I know people who have eating disorders. I currently have one old friend in hospital because nobody can make her eat. It is really too hard for me to understand this as an illness. All of the girls I know who have experienced this have done so at points in their lives where they felt lacking in energy or attention or love or SOMETHING. For some it was borne out of Vanity and for others from a need for attention. I think it's hard to deny either of these as HUGE factors in the start of a (very probably) addictive affair with control over food. As a result I have always found it hard to empathise or even sympathise with Anorexics and Bulimics. I understand it becomes addictive, I understand addiction. But the start of it is almst always a conscious decision to either LOOK SKINNIER or cry for help by controlling one aspect of your life.

This is only my opinion. I've obviously not personally had an eating disorder so I may be getting it all wrong. But I hope what I've said makes it easier for people arguing on the other side of the coin to see how people like me view it.

I think there are degrees of these disorders, and I think there are degrees of truth to accounts of them. I watched a girl I loved dearly fall apart after eating a bagel. I watched her go into deep depressions over having her 25 miles walks interrupted. I saw her suicidal. I watched her cut off friends because they talked about their own disordered eating (which is not necessarily evidence of an eating disorder). To expand on the parenthetical; bulimia and anorexia can be illnesses OR behaviors. Lots of people pick up these habits for a variety of reasons, ranging from desire to lose weight to want of attention.

True eating disorders usually come with other baggage. Panic disorders. Depression. There is quite a list. They are often non-functional in society, and these people may even be of normal weight. Don't dare fucking tell them that though. Don't call them skinny either. Best bet... don't comment on their bodies at all. Usually, the ones to talk a lot about their disorders, don't really have them, so making assessments of the seriousness of the disorder, based on those claiming to have it, might lead one to believe it is immaturity and not a real sickness.

I have known a few of the real deal. I have known dozens making the cliam. I can pretty much say with certainty that eating disorders are real and serious. They just aren't as prevalent as some would have us believe. And skinny does not equal anorexia. Neither does anorexia equal being skinny. Most skinny, young girls are just normal girls with the metabolism of youth.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 10:03:48 PM »

I suppose I should also commnet on the Tshabalala thing, but I don't really have the energy for it right now.

Kovacs

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 10:28:04 PM »

There's no other explanation to you using the same tactic, over and over, when you could avoid it so easily.

There is another explanation. I seek to underscore certain truths, but I also speak as the words come to mind. My first though when reading the girl's words was "Oh... right. Anorexia is really taboo. It's discussed in countless documentaries, all over forums and it has been for decades." Snark emerged. That was what I thought, and it was a bit funny to me. The words I typed represented the most accurate protrayal of my feelings. My responses since, I might also add, are not of the "woe is me" character. They are adverserial and explanatory. I am not claiming any injury. I have true meaning behind every word I say, and I also shoot from the hip. In the end, the message is delivered.

And what you say later:

A desire to shed light on a subject does not preclude the employment of the occasional, rich vein of sarcasm. It is not mango season.

If you really were trying to make a point using your alias, you'd say the larger post I quoted at the top (minus the misunderstoodness and denial) straight out. You never do, it's always inflame first, then blame people for reacting, because you get a kick out of it.

Man, I made a point with a little humor. It wasn't even a little over the top, especially not for a public forum. My subsequent posts were of the character they were because ArmyofLarry came in with his Holier-Than-Thou Asshole cape in trail. I wasn't counting on or hoping for any huge reaction to my first post, but neither am I surprised by it. My choices are two. I could temper my humor and modify my messages (and despise myself), or I can risk poking the occasional sensitive rib. It's been a lot of years, me on this planet. My kid gloves don't fit anymore. If I had thought my initial comment would disrupt the momentum of the message of this thread, I might have waited. Maybe. It seemed pretty innocuous, but I don't measure every possibility.

Regarding the article you posted about me; I don't know what point it makes, but there are more interesting and recent articles. I have just this month, left Raratonga, to return to Africa. I may blog about my adventures travelling up the continent from Capetown to Lagos. I'll be sure to post a link.

Cool, I agree with pretty much everything you said. At least it's clear, and you seem to realize that you are almost as reactionary as some folks around here.

Others speak what comes to mind as well. That's what I've been getting at, several times, on several of these topics. That's all for me, sorry for the derailment to anyone else trying to discuss the topic at hand.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 11:15:14 PM »

I do declare. This is surreal, even by my standards. I must admit, Mr. Tshabalala's writing style mirrors my own to a degree. His attitude, to be sure.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 12:37:30 AM »

I do declare. This is surreal, even by my standards. I must admit, Mr. Tshabalala's writing style mirrors my own to a degree. His attitude, to be sure.

Orly?  See, I was going to be very honest and open about my stupid comfort eating, and how it's wrecked my body and my self-esteem, but you know...why?  Why the fuck even care, y'know?  Joke thread.  Ha stinkin' ha.  Fuck that shit.  Bet this wouldn't have happened to a religion thread.  OH WAIT, YOU MEAN MY EMPATHY THREAD?  No, I mean a...well...yes.

=\

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 01:14:40 AM »

Nothing has happened to it. A post is a post. A thread is a bunch of them. We could seriously discuss anything, right now. It's a serious thread. One joke was made. It even had a serious point. All hell broke loose. The thread is still just as good a place to discuss anything as it ever was.

Haushinka

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 06:49:26 AM »

Orly?  See, I was going to be very honest and open about my stupid comfort eating, and how it's wrecked my body and my self-esteem, but you know...why?  Why the fuck even care, y'know?  Joke thread.  Ha stinkin' ha.  Fuck that shit.  Bet this wouldn't have happened to a religion thread.  OH WAIT, YOU MEAN MY EMPATHY THREAD?  No, I mean a...well...yes.

=\

Hey! I posted my own quite possibly retarded opinion!
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Kenny Wisdom

• Desire in a Bowl of Potatoes
  • Emmett does peace; his way.
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 09:36:16 AM »

This was actually a really good point, taken by me as satire.

If you're going to talk about eating disorders then it's fair to look at cultural impact / perception too.  This was a good opener. Shame Tshabalala broke character. Ruined the illusion now. Le vomity sigh.
http://www.diggers.org/overview.htm

A life played for keeps. Read it, dig it, man...

Laissez lire, et laissez danser; ces deux amusements ne feront jamais de mal au monde!!

Greg Nova wrote:
Harper tu n'es qu'un petit couillon!

Tshabalala

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 10:11:56 AM »

Meaning my last post? There are other things here to debate than my identity. I will be submitting a video soon. It would have been easier before my flight east. Until then, people can assume what they want.

Kovacs

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 01:49:21 PM »

If you're going to talk about eating disorders then it's fair to look at cultural impact / perception too.  This was a good opener. Shame Tshabalala broke character. Ruined the illusion now. Le vomity sigh.

Now we're cooking with gas. The guy who so despised the use of alt accounts he created his own (vengence inspired) to point out their flaws, comes in full support. There's no honor (honour) amoungst annonymous internet message boards anymore.  :'(  :'(  :'(  O0

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 03:39:56 PM »

Now we're cooking with gas. The guy who so despised the use of alt accounts he created his own (vengence inspired) to point out their flaws, comes in full support. There's no honor (honour) amoungst annonymous internet message boards anymore.  :'(  :'(  :'(  O0

*cackles*

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 04:08:48 PM »

I'm going to offer some kind of understanding to not understand thing here-

OK. My personal opinion here. I know people who have eating disorders. I currently have one old friend in hospital because nobody can make her eat. It is really too hard for me to understand this as an illness. All of the girls I know who have experienced this have done so at points in their lives where they felt lacking in energy or attention or love or SOMETHING. For some it was borne out of Vanity and for others from a need for attention. I think it's hard to deny either of these as HUGE factors in the start of a (very probably) addictive affair with control over food. As a result I have always found it hard to empathise or even sympathise with Anorexics and Bulimics. I understand it becomes addictive, I understand addiction. But the start of it is almst always a conscious decision to either LOOK SKINNIER or cry for help by controlling one aspect of your life.

You got the word 'addictive' in there and you're very right. Many people with easting disorders have highly addictive personalities; I'd go as far as to all practically all. I feel you're wrong, however, by thinking it's born out of either vanity or attention (although... maybe you're right on some level?). It's something like 52% of sexually abused kids grow up to have an eating disorder (don't cite that, I need to check my sources), so maybe your idea it's for attention is right... draw focus to the abuse, perhaps?

For me, personally, it was never about being thin. Now, it's a factor, but that stems from other people's views as a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. I stopped eating foods the media told me could increase the risk of Cancer, as I lost my mother, grandmother an aunt to the same hereditary form and I was scared of developing it myself... I lost a lot of weight by doing that and it was only a few years later when people kept the focus on how 'slim' I was that I began to think of the weight issue myself. It's not an unusual story, mine, and it's something to keep in mind. I totally understand why you find it hard to emphasize, it's something that's really hard to understand unless you've wandered the road yourself, but I'd be happy to keep up this chat with you.

I think you have a lot of very accurate points, especially concerning the level of control a person with anorexia or bulimia has. Something I personally contend with on a daily basis.

Orly?  See, I was going to be very honest and open about my stupid comfort eating, and how it's wrecked my body and my self-esteem, but you know...why?  Why the fuck even care, y'know?
=\

Comfort Eating, compulsive-over-eating, Binge eating... all serious, all important issues, and all dangerous in their own right. I'd like it if you could be honest in here. That's what this is about, not the petulance of some.

Tshabalala

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 09:12:37 PM »

Ah yes. I know this word from my ESL classes.

pe-tu-lant: adj

1. Unreasonably irritable or ill-tempered; peevish.
   2. Contemptuous in speech or behavior.

examples:

a] "Don't worry, the fake poster knows all about it and just wanted to waste our time pretending to be someone else."

b] But then I thought, who could be as callus as to pick holes in a good cause like this?

c] You can leave right now if you're going to take the piss. I won't stand for it.

d] Someone has a warped and twisted sense of humour. Go away, you puppet account.

e]Yeah, we shall ignore the troll

f]With all due respect I don't care. Take it elsewhere. This thread isn't about pettiness

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2009, 09:14:16 PM »

^ You totally forgot when they dissed good tacos.

Tshabalala

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2009, 09:19:18 PM »

I am a compassionate man. I will grant them some latitude, because I know tacos are their enemies.

old news

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2009, 12:29:14 AM »

Nope, still don't like the idea of puppet accounts. I can get they can be used to make points genuine accounts don't, but I don't see that as a valid reason for a level of pretense. Sure, we're all different online to how we are in real life, so it's debatable to what extent we are all puppet accounts, but deliberately setting up a fake personality (okay, Tshabalala is real, but he ain't you)...it just compromises your arguements, like attending a debate dressed up as Darth Vader. Especially when you desire such a reaction.

Fine, I may in the minority and overreacting and whatever, but it just doesn't sit with me. If you had made the same points from your main account, and not one based around an admittedly intruiging fellow who irritated Fiji, I wouldn't have been as dismissive.

MeaCulpa, carry on. I still think this a good topic.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2009, 12:42:18 AM »

like attending a debate dressed up as Darth Vader.

It's a shame you are so opposed to the idea. That is genius!

*googles for next town meeting*

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2009, 12:49:30 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh man so many funny thoughts.

old news

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2009, 12:56:14 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh man so many funny thoughts.

Hmmmm, granted. You wouldn't be taken seriously, of course, which is my point, but... :)

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2009, 01:28:16 AM »

Town meetings are tragic. Someone should shake up the marbles a bit. There is always someone to take the shit seriously. There is always an open-minded audience. The rest learn more in their state of "What happened?" than they ever could from someone more obviously serious. They will talk. They will think. They will divide themselves into groups of outrages, amused, indifferent and enriched. Yeah, some people will freak out. In the end, more people will ponder the senselessness of freaking out than will actually do the freaking. And thus, in such small increments, we progress.

The topic of this thread pairs well with my avatar.

Kenny Wisdom

• Desire in a Bowl of Potatoes
  • Emmett does peace; his way.
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2009, 01:30:45 AM »

I think you'll find I covered all that in the 2008 edition of the Kenny Wisdom Almanac.
http://www.diggers.org/overview.htm

A life played for keeps. Read it, dig it, man...

Laissez lire, et laissez danser; ces deux amusements ne feront jamais de mal au monde!!

Greg Nova wrote:
Harper tu n'es qu'un petit couillon!

old news

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2009, 01:36:27 AM »

Town meetings are tragic. Someone should shake up the marbles a bit. There is always someone to take the shit seriously. There is always an open-minded audience. The rest learn more in their state of "What happened?" than they ever could from someone more obviously serious. They will talk. They will think. They will divide themselves into groups of outrages, amused, indifferent and enriched. Yeah, some people will freak out. In the end, more people will ponder the senselessness of freaking out than will actually do the freaking. And thus, in such small increments, we progress

Reminds me of Student Union meetings. The regulations, the regulations! The unnecessary drama! I swear that spending a good deal of time away from that world was like coming of drugs: you only fully realise how messed-up it all was when you're safely away from it.

...can we get the G8 leaders to dress up as members of the Fellowship of the Ring at the next summit? I wonder if that would work.

insignifikunt

• Super Fan
  • ...Strength through Music...
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2009, 01:45:06 AM »

So has this thread gone totally off topic now?
...Sing for the teachers who told you that you couldn't sing...

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2009, 06:44:49 AM »

There should be acronyms for "Yes, conversations tend to do that." and "You can bring it back on point any time your little heart desires."

Ronan

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2009, 11:13:21 AM »

There should be acronyms for "Yes, conversations tend to do that." and "You can bring it back on point any time your little heart desires."

Oh honey, you're being such a fierce hot bitch lately. Let's totally make out. xx ronan

Haushinka

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2009, 11:31:45 AM »

I've long had a bit of a desire to be a hot male that Ronan would like to snog.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Ronan

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2009, 12:33:42 PM »

O
R
L
Y
?

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2009, 12:51:30 PM »

Haushinka in man drag! (ronan dressed as a mysterious easterne uropean gentleman)
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Haushinka

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2009, 01:00:29 PM »

O
R
L
Y
?

Ya rly. *girly wave* *gay wave*.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2009, 09:01:46 PM »

You don't have to be hot. Just be a fierce bitch. Oh... you might want to sprout a cock.

Ronan

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2009, 08:30:29 AM »

Looking like white trash is always a turn-on.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2009, 08:31:31 AM »

Looking like white trash is always a turn-on.

*gigglesnort*

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2009, 01:32:50 PM »

You don't have to be hot. Just be a fierce bitch. Oh... you might want to sprout a cock.

HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

old news

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2009, 01:35:36 PM »

Oooh, further material for identity theft! Although who am I kidding, this stuff is all on Facebook anyhow...

Wyatt, do you actually have a star over your left eyebrow?

I look really glum and moody in my own passport photo. I blame the 'neutral expression' rules. But it's much better than my old one.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2009, 07:13:15 PM »

Wyatt, do you actually have a star over your left eyebrow?

No, but you could follow one to my place of birth.

HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY

Tausend Dank!

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2009, 05:56:13 PM »

Um, sorry I'm a bit late to this - are we done talking about fucked up eating habits? Cos I'll just mosey on by if so.

insignifikunt

• Super Fan
  • ...Strength through Music...
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2009, 03:47:22 AM »

That never actually got discussed, the thread went off topic very quickly.
...Sing for the teachers who told you that you couldn't sing...

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »

Ah, ok then. I'll just be a-moseying! Ta-ra!

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2009, 04:58:01 PM »

Um, sorry I'm a bit late to this - are we done talking about fucked up eating habits? Cos I'll just mosey on by if so.

Mmm. Tried to raise some awareness and failed. I did my part in person so fuck the Internet.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2009, 05:24:59 PM »

Well, I'm aware of it! Though, I kind of have to be, having fairly fucked-up eating habits as I do. Still, good attempt - you get the Effort Medal.

old news

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2009, 05:39:10 PM »

We can still try again...derailings don't mean abandonments, and this topic *has* come up in some other threads lately.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2009, 05:41:40 PM »

Cue People You'd Like To Bang!

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2009, 05:56:57 PM »

haha sorry, I started that one. I just like discussions :embarassed:
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

old news

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2009, 05:58:26 PM »

Don't apologise, sweety, it happens :)

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2009, 06:02:37 PM »

And there's no better place than here to have them - everyone's pretty tolerant, no-one's so convinced they're right that they won't listen, and people are seriously unlikely to storm off if you disagree with them.#

Now.

I know my eating habits are, if not a full blown disorder, definitely a concern. But I keep on with them. Wtf??

old news

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2009, 06:05:17 PM »

This is a sanctuary of sorts, yes.

I'm similar. It's not extreme, but it is a concern...I have a reason for putting weight on, but I'm still not happy when I see my weight has gone up...even if it means I'm no longer underweight.

Haushinka

« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2009, 08:00:08 PM »

And there's no better place than here to have them - everyone's pretty tolerant, no-one's so convinced they're right that they won't listen, and people are seriously unlikely to storm off if you disagree with them.#

Now.

I know my eating habits are, if not a full blown disorder, definitely a concern. But I keep on with them. Wtf??

I don't understand how you talk about this so frankly. You're also quite vague.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2009, 05:23:54 PM »

Now.

I don't understand how you talk about this so frankly. You're also quite vague.

I talk about it very frankly on here because it's the internet - it's people I don't know, who don't know me, who can judge me all they like but I've got nothing to lose if they do, you know? But they're still "real" enough for me to take comfort in it if they're concerned. I never, NEVER talk about my eating habits in the rest of my life - to anyone. I've only just started admitting it to myself that it's an issue. I've been more open in the past on the SB about my mental health, which again, I never talk about, so it feels safer to talk about this element of that on here.

As for being vague, I don't know. I think there's bits scattered on different threads that would make up a full picture.

old news

« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2009, 06:03:39 PM »

I find it's easier to open online, although years of journalling about personal things have helped with that. I know I'm probably too open about things myself, but so be it.

That said, I was more open than I meant to be last night. I was tired and not really realising where I was typing things until people had already replied...

*hugs for Indja*

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2009, 07:30:12 PM »

Speaking frankly online is a lot easier. I mean, if I were to say to people in a conversation, 'oh, I have anorexia' I'd get some strange looks... but If I say it online, there is not tone... it's simply a fact that adds to a discussion. There's no emotional obligation to respond quickly in a certain way with certain facial expressions.

And guys, for the record, my 'issues' started with simple fucked up eating habits.  It can spiral... so just take care of yourselves.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]   Go Up