THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All   Go Down

Author Topic: National Eating Disorders Awareness Week.  (Read 9419 times)

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
Re: National Eating Disorders Awareness Week.
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 12:37:30 AM »

I do declare. This is surreal, even by my standards. I must admit, Mr. Tshabalala's writing style mirrors my own to a degree. His attitude, to be sure.

Orly?  See, I was going to be very honest and open about my stupid comfort eating, and how it's wrecked my body and my self-esteem, but you know...why?  Why the fuck even care, y'know?  Joke thread.  Ha stinkin' ha.  Fuck that shit.  Bet this wouldn't have happened to a religion thread.  OH WAIT, YOU MEAN MY EMPATHY THREAD?  No, I mean a...well...yes.

=\

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 01:14:40 AM »

Nothing has happened to it. A post is a post. A thread is a bunch of them. We could seriously discuss anything, right now. It's a serious thread. One joke was made. It even had a serious point. All hell broke loose. The thread is still just as good a place to discuss anything as it ever was.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 06:49:26 AM »

I do declare. This is surreal, even by my standards. I must admit, Mr. Tshabalala's writing style mirrors my own to a degree. His attitude, to be sure.

Orly?  See, I was going to be very honest and open about my stupid comfort eating, and how it's wrecked my body and my self-esteem, but you know...why?  Why the fuck even care, y'know?  Joke thread.  Ha stinkin' ha.  Fuck that shit.  Bet this wouldn't have happened to a religion thread.  OH WAIT, YOU MEAN MY EMPATHY THREAD?  No, I mean a...well...yes.

=\

Hey! I posted my own quite possibly retarded opinion!
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Kenny Wisdom

• Desire in a Bowl of Potatoes
  • Emmett does peace; his way.
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 09:36:16 AM »

I personally do, considering how taboo discussion about stuff like this (in all seriousness, not media opinion) is.

It must be taboo. I have never even heard of this thing you call eating disorder.

This was actually a really good point, taken by me as satire.

If you're going to talk about eating disorders then it's fair to look at cultural impact / perception too.  This was a good opener. Shame Tshabalala broke character. Ruined the illusion now. Le vomity sigh.
http://www.diggers.org/overview.htm

A life played for keeps. Read it, dig it, man...

Laissez lire, et laissez danser; ces deux amusements ne feront jamais de mal au monde!!

Greg Nova wrote:
Harper tu n'es qu'un petit couillon!

Tshabalala

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 10:11:56 AM »

Meaning my last post? There are other things here to debate than my identity. I will be submitting a video soon. It would have been easier before my flight east. Until then, people can assume what they want.

Kovacs

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 01:49:21 PM »

I personally do, considering how taboo discussion about stuff like this (in all seriousness, not media opinion) is.

It must be taboo. I have never even heard of this thing you call eating disorder.

If you're going to talk about eating disorders then it's fair to look at cultural impact / perception too.  This was a good opener. Shame Tshabalala broke character. Ruined the illusion now. Le vomity sigh.

Now we're cooking with gas. The guy who so despised the use of alt accounts he created his own (vengence inspired) to point out their flaws, comes in full support. There's no honor (honour) amoungst annonymous internet message boards anymore.  :'(  :'(  :'(  O0

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 03:39:56 PM »

Now we're cooking with gas. The guy who so despised the use of alt accounts he created his own (vengence inspired) to point out their flaws, comes in full support. There's no honor (honour) amoungst annonymous internet message boards anymore.  :'(  :'(  :'(  O0

*cackles*

MeaCulpa

• I Am Pro-Vanity
  • Beau Rêve
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 04:08:48 PM »

I'm going to offer some kind of understanding to not understand thing here-

OK. My personal opinion here. I know people who have eating disorders. I currently have one old friend in hospital because nobody can make her eat. It is really too hard for me to understand this as an illness. All of the girls I know who have experienced this have done so at points in their lives where they felt lacking in energy or attention or love or SOMETHING. For some it was borne out of Vanity and for others from a need for attention. I think it's hard to deny either of these as HUGE factors in the start of a (very probably) addictive affair with control over food. As a result I have always found it hard to empathise or even sympathise with Anorexics and Bulimics. I understand it becomes addictive, I understand addiction. But the start of it is almst always a conscious decision to either LOOK SKINNIER or cry for help by controlling one aspect of your life.

This is only my opinion. I've obviously not personally had an eating disorder so I may be getting it all wrong. But I hope what I've said makes it easier for people arguing on the other side of the coin to see how people like me view it.

You got the word 'addictive' in there and you're very right. Many people with easting disorders have highly addictive personalities; I'd go as far as to all practically all. I feel you're wrong, however, by thinking it's born out of either vanity or attention (although... maybe you're right on some level?). It's something like 52% of sexually abused kids grow up to have an eating disorder (don't cite that, I need to check my sources), so maybe your idea it's for attention is right... draw focus to the abuse, perhaps?

For me, personally, it was never about being thin. Now, it's a factor, but that stems from other people's views as a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. I stopped eating foods the media told me could increase the risk of Cancer, as I lost my mother, grandmother an aunt to the same hereditary form and I was scared of developing it myself... I lost a lot of weight by doing that and it was only a few years later when people kept the focus on how 'slim' I was that I began to think of the weight issue myself. It's not an unusual story, mine, and it's something to keep in mind. I totally understand why you find it hard to emphasize, it's something that's really hard to understand unless you've wandered the road yourself, but I'd be happy to keep up this chat with you.

I think you have a lot of very accurate points, especially concerning the level of control a person with anorexia or bulimia has. Something I personally contend with on a daily basis.

Orly?  See, I was going to be very honest and open about my stupid comfort eating, and how it's wrecked my body and my self-esteem, but you know...why?  Why the fuck even care, y'know?
=\

Comfort Eating, compulsive-over-eating, Binge eating... all serious, all important issues, and all dangerous in their own right. I'd like it if you could be honest in here. That's what this is about, not the petulance of some.

Tshabalala

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 09:12:37 PM »

Ah yes. I know this word from my ESL classes.

pe-tu-lant: adj

1. Unreasonably irritable or ill-tempered; peevish.
   2. Contemptuous in speech or behavior.

examples:

a] "Don't worry, the fake poster knows all about it and just wanted to waste our time pretending to be someone else."

b] But then I thought, who could be as callus as to pick holes in a good cause like this?

c] You can leave right now if you're going to take the piss. I won't stand for it.

d] Someone has a warped and twisted sense of humour. Go away, you puppet account.

e]Yeah, we shall ignore the troll

f]With all due respect I don't care. Take it elsewhere. This thread isn't about pettiness

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2009, 09:14:16 PM »

^ You totally forgot when they dissed good tacos.

Tshabalala

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2009, 09:19:18 PM »

I am a compassionate man. I will grant them some latitude, because I know tacos are their enemies.

old news

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2009, 12:29:14 AM »

Nope, still don't like the idea of puppet accounts. I can get they can be used to make points genuine accounts don't, but I don't see that as a valid reason for a level of pretense. Sure, we're all different online to how we are in real life, so it's debatable to what extent we are all puppet accounts, but deliberately setting up a fake personality (okay, Tshabalala is real, but he ain't you)...it just compromises your arguements, like attending a debate dressed up as Darth Vader. Especially when you desire such a reaction.

Fine, I may in the minority and overreacting and whatever, but it just doesn't sit with me. If you had made the same points from your main account, and not one based around an admittedly intruiging fellow who irritated Fiji, I wouldn't have been as dismissive.

MeaCulpa, carry on. I still think this a good topic.

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2009, 12:42:18 AM »

like attending a debate dressed up as Darth Vader.

It's a shame you are so opposed to the idea. That is genius!

*googles for next town meeting*
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2009, 12:49:30 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh man so many funny thoughts.

old news

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2009, 12:56:14 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh man so many funny thoughts.

Hmmmm, granted. You wouldn't be taken seriously, of course, which is my point, but... :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All   Go Up