THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 32  All   Go Down

Author Topic: the suicide thread  (Read 66975 times)

Tomatoes and Radiowire

• The Angel Islington
    • this is my band and I'm the pimp...
the suicide thread
« on: February 25, 2009, 12:36:05 AM »

not sure if this already exist but ah..

so recently a friend of mine was mad at me because I discredited his compliment fishing
he was going on and on about how suicidal he is and how he "just might end it."

I told him that he'd be hard pressed to find somebody who didn't seriously consider killing themselves at least once.
if not that then more frequently.

I used to be like this too, but seeing everyone else with their unfulfilled suicidal threats has sort of conditioned me against it.

what do you guys think?
am I right or just being insensitive?

also, what are some of your suicide related stories?

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
Re: the suicide thread
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:44:56 AM »

I have the awesomest suicide plan. I devised a way to detonate myself, hang myself, shoot myself, overdose, drown, AND get eaten by sharks... all in the time it takes to catch a catfish.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 12:46:17 AM »

^Yeah, your method is in the other thread, that was an "interesting" choice.

I am tempted to do the Jesse but nah, something good can come up in a new discussion.
[emo]
Thoughts, mm whenever depression kicks in really hard I start to think about it, I think of the easiest way out & considering I don't think there is "something on the other side" death tends to be the easiest answer; Although it's a silly choice, I ended up realizing about that a while ago, at least for me the things I still want to do motivate me to continue.[/emo]

I need to sleep.

old news

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 12:53:32 AM »

I've thought about it. Had 'good' reasons for it too. But I know I could never do it, so I don't take such thoughts seriously.

Although I once, in a dark dark time, desired a sort of passive-suicide, whereby something would come along and kill me, so I'd disappear without my friends and family knowing I had done it. Some twisted misguided sense of protection for them. Thank goodness I'm better now.

mitrepeak

• sing
    • lj
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 01:04:34 AM »

Spent like, six years with suicidal thoughts on and off. I don't think I will ever go back to thinking about that or considering it again. Ever. Regardless of how crap or shitty things are, I know it's not the end of the world. I've only gotten over it in the past 5 months, but there's really nothing rational behind thinking "I want to kill myself" and I honestly realise that now.

Lots and lots of thinking and fighting with myself, but it feels good to say I've woken up every day for five months happy. That is a BIG thing for me.

You need a support network around you.. that's what got me through my teenage years. Can't imagine where I would be without friends, but I chose not to involve my family though they knew I was unhappy. I think quite differently now and would probably reach out to my family for help if I ever did need it again. In the end though, the only way I got over my shit was to move to another country and start over, surrounded by nobody that I knew, with no support network, other than talking to friends on the interwebz every now and then.

I have known people who've been affected by suicide.. nasty thing.
ps - if anyone ever needs an ear, please PM me and I will be happy to listen to you if you're feeling down. Promise I'm not crazy and won't think you are either. :)

you crawled into my bed
like some sort of giant insect
and i found myself spellbound
that night at the sight of you there
beautiful and grotesque and all the rest of that bug stuff

Tomatoes and Radiowire

• The Angel Islington
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 01:08:26 AM »

I have a feeling there are going to be a shit load of little miss sunshine references here.

^Yeah, your method is in the other thread, that was an "interesting" choice.

I am tempted to do the Jesse but nah, something good can come up in a new discussion.
[emo]
Thoughts, mm whenever depression kicks in really hard I start to think about it, I think of the easiest way out & considering I don't think there is "something on the other side" death tends to be the easiest answer; Although it's a silly choice, I ended up realizing about that a while ago, at least for me the things I still want to do motivate me to continue.[/emo]

I need to sleep.

was it birthday cake?
come on, you know it was birthday cake.
that is, the metaphorical birthday cake.
no matter how shit something gets at least once a year, you get birthday cake!!!
nothing can make you depressed when you've got birthday cake!!! except when you're already depressed and then you're given birthday cake, but you're to loathsome to enjoy it so you hate yourself more.... I think that still applies to the metaphor..

I've thought about it. Had 'good' reasons for it too. But I know I could never do it, so I don't take such thoughts seriously.

Although I once, in a dark dark time, desired a sort of passive-suicide, whereby something would come along and kill me, so I'd disappear without my friends and family knowing I had done it. Some twisted misguided sense of protection for them. Thank goodness I'm better now.

jeez, how awfully characteristic of you.
looking out for everyone else even in death?
I'm selfish. I would only think like that when something dangerous was near and wonder what the people against me would feel.

itevaporated

• see?
    • theburbs
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 01:13:12 AM »

I had a friend commit suicide four years back this April. There are still loads of questions and what ifs and sadness surrounding it all. Not something I'd ever wish upon anyone.
The things I really cared about just left along the way,
For being too pent up and proud.

old news

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 01:15:36 AM »

I'm selfish. I would only think like that when something dangerous was near and wonder what the people against me would feel.

I sometimes feel I come across as 'overly nice' here.

...but in this case, it's a really big deal. It's the one thing that has kept me most from thinking about suicide more seriously, because I hate upsetting people, and I don't want to hurt the people I care closely about. I know how I'd be utterly broken if someone close to me died, and if suicide...that'd be even worse. I'm not saying there aren't also 'well, I'm gonna die someday, so why hurry it?' thoughts in there as well, as well as 'screw you life, I'm not going to let you beat me', but honestly it is the desire not to hurt my friends that keeps me most from self-destructive behaviour.

Tomatoes and Radiowire

• The Angel Islington
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 01:38:22 AM »

I sometimes feel I come across as 'overly nice' here.

...but in this case, it's a really big deal. It's the one thing that has kept me most from thinking about suicide more seriously, because I hate upsetting people, and I don't want to hurt the people I care closely about. I know how I'd be utterly broken if someone close to me died, and if suicide...that'd be even worse. I'm not saying there aren't also 'well, I'm gonna die someday, so why hurry it?' thoughts in there as well, as well as 'screw you life, I'm not going to let you beat me', but honestly it is the desire not to hurt my friends that keeps me most from self-destructive behaviour.
some french word I've never heard of
:buck2:

yes, I know people like you.
often times it keeps them from doing what they want with their lives, but you seem like you're more in control than that. still, even if it's out of some subconsciously imprinted fear, it's still nice to have nice (or even overlynice) people around.
nice to see some self empowerment in there too though.

Rini Martini

• is not as callous as you think.
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 08:12:45 AM »

I've gone on and off seriously wanting to end it, several times... That's not to say I'm petty, at all, there are just times when I'm significantly better at coping and talking myself out of it than others.

I used to be like this too, but seeing everyone else with their unfulfilled suicidal threats has sort of conditioned me against it.

what do you guys think?
am I right or just being insensitive?

I totally understand what you're saying. There are times I worry that I might be having the same effect on someone close to me. I've only ever spoken to one person about the feelings I've had, but more than once, when I've been at my lowest - a guy I used to go out with. He's a great friend and he's been really supportive, always encouraging me to talk, but there are times when I worry that he might almost think badly of me if I didn't go through with it, dismissing it as a 'cry for attention', as they say.

Rson, try really hard to be patient with your friend. If he doesn't think you take his feelings seriously, it'll lower his self-esteem and could potentially spur him on to go through with it. It's a difficult situation.

'Hello, I'm good for nothing, would you love me just the same?'

JessyLou22

• "A Force To Be Reckoned With"
  • punk cabaret suffragette
    • flickr!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 09:17:14 AM »

i like that this is being talked about here.

i like that some of you are talking about it in ways that make me laugh.  that [/emo] shit made me laugh.  Thank you for that.

Suicide is something that has profoundly affected my life.  A friend just died last year, and a few others here and there, throughout the years.  And lets just say its more than crossed my mind.

Its a struggle every day... really for anyone i guess.

Again, thanks for making me laugh.

Alyss

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 10:07:42 AM »

I heartily support anyone who wishes to end their life. A lot of people say it's cowardly, but I don't agree.

Bubblegum Britt

• is flirting with too many disasters.
  • All is fair in love and war and love
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 11:46:59 AM »

I heartily support anyone who wishes to end their life. A lot of people say it's cowardly, but I don't agree.

So if someone told you, a close friend, that they were gonna kill themselves, you would say, "Go ahead."

Half Mar

• steals flamingos and gnomes.
  • Cake Sex Riot
    • Drumssss!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 12:01:04 PM »

So if someone told you, a close friend, that they were gonna kill themselves, you would say, "Go ahead."

Same question... 'cause I think you are having a weird point of view then, to say the least.
Quote from: Audrey
she's captain of the awesome ship
Quote from: Lucy
if you had a giant spoon you could scoop up an evil person with that spoon and feed them to a giant for breakfast -like a good hearty bowl of evil
Quote from: Chloe
my flatmates can suck on my meat loaf

Domestibot

• Has His hand wrapped around a
  • Squee
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 12:14:36 PM »

I can comprehend Alyss' take on the whole thing... here's why:

I particularly have a difficult time "comforting" friends who consider suicide.  I see things the exact same way they're describing... how life is pointless, nothing they do matters, etc. This is not to say I'm depressed... in fact, I love my life.  I love everything about my life, and I'm a very happy person.

The difference between me and them is that I've accepted the absurdity to life.  They can't.  They want to fight life, they want it to be something other than what it is.  That's just not possible.  So when a friend comes to me contemplating suicide, I find myself in a hard place because I can't just lie to them and say there's a point and meaning to life when I personally don't feel that way. 

I try telling them that yes, there might not be a big, important reason reason to life, but that makes life all the more beautiful, because they can make their own point for themselves.  This usually works, but if not...

Well, let me just say that if a friend truly cannot accept this absurdity, that they're in so much pain living is just not worth it... then as a friend, I support whatever decision they make.  If that's suicide, all I can tell them is that I'll miss them. 

I never had a friend who committed suicide, and I usually take such declarations with a grain of salt.  People frequently proclaim that they'll "kill themselves" and in my experience it's mostly been a cry for attention, or another way of dealing with problems or garnering support.  I am well aware this is not always the case. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 32  All   Go Up