THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 32  All   Go Down

Author Topic: the suicide thread  (Read 62843 times)

JessyLou22

• "A Force To Be Reckoned With"
  • punk cabaret suffragette
    • flickr!
Re: the suicide thread
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 11:17:40 PM »

can i just say; as i slowly ease myself into these boards...

we're all a bunch of freaks.

i like that.  O0

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 12:20:06 AM »

I've had a few friends... acquaintances, commit suicide. One friend once told one of these suicides to go ahead and do it. It was a couple years before he actually did, and I don't know if my friend thinks about those words he said, or the logic behind them. I know it was in the tough love spirit, and I don't imagine it played any role in Bart's eventual follow through, but the thought of one event always leads me to think of the other. I've never asked my friend if he thought about what he said. I don't know how the logic feels to him now, or if he's ever said that to anyone else. Fifteen years have passed. My friend is a teacher. I troubleshoot cable. Bart is still dead. Clay is dead. Bruce is dead. Johnny is dead. There are others, but those are the direct suicides. There are a few AIDS victims. The dope and tricks are a sort of suicide I guess. Several overdoses. More fakers of suicide though. Lots of fakers. Lots of people trained to keep making it a part of their lives because people react the way the person wants them to.

I call out bullshitters sometimes. I tell people suicide is stupid. I say it's a copout. I try to offer the perspective that can embrace and draw good from pain and trials of life.

I never tell anyone to go ahead and do it. Never.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 12:20:34 AM »

can i just say; as i slowly ease myself into these boards...

we're all a bunch of freaks.

i like that.  O0

Oh... almost forgot. Everyone but me.

Alyss

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 01:40:54 AM »

I heartily support anyone who wishes to end their life. A lot of people say it's cowardly, but I don't agree.

So if someone told you, a close friend, that they were gonna kill themselves, you would say, "Go ahead."
Yes. If you can't be allowed to choose to opt out of this horrible little reality we dwell in, then you have no point to living in it anyway. The freedom to make personal choices is the most important freedom anyone can ever have.

BB Gun-it

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 02:01:18 AM »

I heartily support anyone who wishes to end their life. A lot of people say it's cowardly, but I don't agree.

So if someone told you, a close friend, that they were gonna kill themselves, you would say, "Go ahead."
Yes. If you can't be allowed to choose to opt out of this horrible little reality we dwell in, then you have no point to living in it anyway. The freedom to make personal choices is the most important freedom anyone can ever have.

I'm not going to say that suicide is cowardly, either. I'll say it's unfortunate, sad, unnecessary, heartbreaking, understandable, a bad decision, and even, but very rarely, a good choice for the person. But not cowardly. However, I think that telling a close friend to go ahead and kill themselves is wrong in every way. There is a difference between being allowed to off one's self and being encouraged to off one's self.

Anyone can kill themselves. Newsflash, I know. But there is help that people can get. It's not a bad thing. If someone can get help, and work toward changing their opinion of their existence as a "horrible little reality," I'd say that would be incentive enough not to encourage them to kill themselves. Not to mention that if, as a close friend of theirs, you let them know that you do not value their presence in your life enough to say, "hey, don't kill yourself, get help," the probability that they'll go through with it is only increased.

Alyss

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 02:03:12 AM »

Telling and condoning are totally different. I'd never encourage people to kill themselves (though Alice has), but if they wanted to I wouldn't stop them.

Bubblegum Britt

• is flirting with too many disasters.
  • All is fair in love and war and love
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 07:00:37 AM »

Okay, and I mean this in the least bitchiest way possible, but if the world is so horrible, why are you still alive? I still don't understand how someone can think the world is such a terrible place, yet they're still here. You gotta like something about it

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 09:23:52 AM »

It's all perspective. This world is wondrous and amazing. Magical and fascinating.

Alyss

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 02:49:19 PM »

Okay, and I mean this in the least bitchiest way possible, but if the world is so horrible, why are you still alive? I still don't understand how someone can think the world is such a terrible place, yet they're still here. You gotta like something about it

Because I'm far too much of a coward.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 04:21:55 PM »

Same. Every time I think about it - which is a lot, and don't call me emo or I'll hit you with my Kaiser Chiefs CDs - the one thing that stops me, apart from not owning a gun which is how I think I'd do it, is fear. It's like in Hamlet's soliloquy - "the dread of something after death ... makes us rather bear those ills we have / Than fly to others that we know not of".

Tomatoes and Radiowire

• The Angel Islington
    • this is my band and I'm the pimp...
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 04:25:56 PM »

oh you are just so DARK

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »

Can I be DARK too? Can I, Rson? Pleeeaaase! xD

Musings

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 04:34:05 PM »

Suicide ends a lot more than just one life.
www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

the empty girl

• cyber stalker extraordinaire.
  • I'm going to go draw happy cheese now.
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 05:02:09 PM »

My Godfather blew his head off the day after my father's 73rd birthday. My dad called to thank him for his card and found out about it. I don't know if I've screamed so loud in my life.

I've debated and attempted suicide before in my younger years. My most recent run in with these thoughts I was doped up on anti depressants and had a little too much to drink, and debated (happily mind you) jumping off of my balcony at the Courtyard into rush hour traffic on International BLVD in Atlanta. Or in high school when I blew my dad off to go to a football game and we heard his car crash three blocks up later that evening. When I found out that the crash we heard had been my father, I determined that if I got word he was dead, I was going to nose dive off the back of the 30 foot bleachers.

I guess at the time that you're feeling these feelings, you're not really thinking about the impact that it's going to have on the people around you. It's a matter of rationalization. It's been my experience too that people who voice a desire to kill themselves, are really just looking for a subject that will ease them into the line of attention. And I don't mean that in a shitty way. I mean that people might just be feeling really alone, and they need someone to relate to them, and voicing an idea, such as suicide, will let people around them understand what they're feeling. It's the people that don't voice those feelings that wind up doing it and killing little pieces of people around them.

"When people say they envy me and my life that's like a movie come true, I smile and neglect to tell them that the movie is Rock-a-Doodle." -JV

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 05:05:10 PM »

I'll admit, I sometimes - not often mind - say things that I hope to God someone will pick up on so that they'll sort of force me to confront what's wrong. I just can't bring myself to do it by myself, you know?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 32  All   Go Up