THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 32  All   Go Down

Author Topic: the suicide thread  (Read 67017 times)

Bubblegum Britt

• is flirting with too many disasters.
  • All is fair in love and war and love
Re: the suicide thread
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2009, 09:26:47 PM »

Alyss you are amazingly emo.
What else is new?
"I'm not the one that's crazy."
"But it's more productive than if I were to be happy."
"How many happy endings do you need to change your FUCKING mind?!"

F, if you are listening to Juno's soundtrack it doesn't mean you are emo, it means you are a sissy.
"Do it for the monsters under your bed!"

I like my new bunny suit
I like my new bunny suit
When I wear it I feel cute

Alyss

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2009, 09:42:21 PM »

"I don't see what anyone can see in anyone else: but you!"

the empty girl

• cyber stalker extraordinaire.
  • I'm going to go draw happy cheese now.
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2009, 10:25:46 PM »

I'm currently listening to the Juno soundtrack and grinning my face off. Your theories are poorly researched.

Good God, Why?! With the exception of Belle and Sebastian and there actually being a song by Buddy Holly, and maybe two others, the soundtrack to that movie made my ears bleed.

In your defense, lets go ahead and say fuck the emo spiel.

Emo is paraphrasing the word "emotional", in reference to the whiny bitch mentality that seems to be the basis of every teenager in the year 2009 and a few year years prior's attempts at individuality. I was once deemed "emo" for listing my favorite band as The Cure. For the first year and a half that emo was a classification, I thought people were calling me an Emu, and I was completely lost on the subject. But I stray off course.

By my understanding of the word,  Emo=unhappy and overly emotional.
If you are in fact smiling and using happy exclamation points, you are clearly not whiny and miserable, and therefore not "emo". right?   O0

Gee thanks, You're not half bad yourself. ^_^

"When people say they envy me and my life that's like a movie come true, I smile and neglect to tell them that the movie is Rock-a-Doodle." -JV

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2009, 11:35:09 PM »

Volcanos. Termites. Syphilis.

Termites are tasty. Volcanos are fascinating. Syphillis... well, there's not much of a good angle on that, except I don't have it.

I could list more happy things than you could sad things.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

Tomatoes and Radiowire

• The Angel Islington
    • this is my band and I'm the pimp...
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2009, 02:07:36 AM »

PUPPIES. FLOWERS. RAINBOWS. GENITALS WITHOUT STDS.

even I sometimes forget these things do exist, but it's about where you choose to focus your ignorance.
it's just as naive to think the world is inherently evil as it is to think it's completely good.
you won't deal with everyone's cheery gracious optimism in trying to help you, so I'll just argue.

you know, there are...    MUCH     WORSE      THINGSSS!!!!

Wednesday Friday

• they can land that plane on my heart I don't care
    • myspace
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2009, 02:24:01 AM »

I just found out that my friend's ex-boyfriend committed suicide this morning. They'd been going out for a few years and she broke up with him two weeks ago because he'd cheated on her etc. I don't know if she's blaming herself and thinking that she could have prevented it, but probably. I hope this doesn't fuck her up for life, she was just starting to get some good things happening. Suicide is a personal choice, but the ramifications it has on those friends and loved ones left behind are profound.

Purtlepootle

• Is not a morning person...
  • I ate a Twirl and I liked it...
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2009, 05:17:56 AM »

I understand the concept that suicide hurts the people left behind but I doubt anyone could hurt as much as the person who felt so much despair, so little hope and so little joy that the feel their only choice is to end their life.

It's hard to talk to friends and family about this issue. If people keep saying they want to do it and then get past those feelings it can be hard not to see that as attention seeking sometimes. Also friends and family worry and express how the person's death would make them feel- this can make someone feel emotionally blackmailed (even though that was probably the very LAST thing the friends or family wanted) and then the person who is thinking of ending their life is ONLY living for the well being of others.

I have posted these details before but will do so again as it still feels appropriate to do so. The service does not suit everyone but in the dark hours of the morning then it has to be worth a try....

If you live in the UK the number is 08457 90 90 90 or you can also use the e mail service jo@samaritans.org

Maybe someone could post other details of listening services elsewhere?

Sometimes it's good to talk to someone who you don't know to explore those feelings...
"What fresh hell is this..."

unfortunate slip

• Whoops!
  • Lanky brunettes with wicked jaws.
    • my site
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2009, 05:44:49 AM »

No matter where you are, this handy-dandy site should be able to help you: Befrienders Worldwide, which is sponsored by the Samaritans, the UK number you listed, Purtlepootle. There's also LifeLine International, and the International Federation of Telephone Emergency Services.
If you live in the US, there's the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, and The Trevor Project, which is awesome and directed specifically at LGBTQ teens. These are both 24/7. I'm sure there are a lot more local numbers I haven't listed here, also.

ETA: I don't know about all of them, but definitely with NSPL you can call to talk about someone you're concerned about, also.
The boys throw stones at the frogs in jest.
But the frogs die in earnest.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2009, 11:38:34 AM »

I emailed the Samaritans a few times, but I kinda fell out with them when they said I should consider going to uni more deeply. Like that has anything to do with it - they're just like everyone else. And I spent the whole time terrified someone I knew would find out I'd been talking to them, and then I'd have to deal with it all properly. I dunno, somtimes I just want to tell someone absolutely everything and have them not try and understand, or help, just- Well, now, the end of that sentence really will sound emo, so I won't bother with it! I wil say this though - though I can't bring myself to end my life properly, I have absolutely zero concern for my health or my well-being, and do things that I know are wrong and I should stop, but it's almost like I want to punish myself for not just dying, you know? It's like there's a bit of me going, "Well if you're too chicken to do anything, you're can be damn sure you're not gonna get away with it". Or something, I don't know.

Sorry if I'm saying too much here, it's just that I wouldn't in any other situation and Boxers seem to fit in that magic place where they're just strangers enough not to matter, but friends enough to trust, you know?

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2009, 12:23:57 PM »

You should give more thought to uni...
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Alyss

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »

I'm currently listening to the Juno soundtrack and grinning my face off. Your theories are poorly researched.

Good God, Why?! With the exception of Belle and Sebastian and there actually being a song by Buddy Holly, and maybe two others, the soundtrack to that movie made my ears bleed.

In your defense, lets go ahead and say fuck the emo spiel.

Emo is paraphrasing the word "emotional", in reference to the whiny bitch mentality that seems to be the basis of every teenager in the year 2009 and a few year years prior's attempts at individuality. I was once deemed "emo" for listing my favorite band as The Cure. For the first year and a half that emo was a classification, I thought people were calling me an Emu, and I was completely lost on the subject. But I stray off course.

By my understanding of the word,  Emo=unhappy and overly emotional.
If you are in fact smiling and using happy exclamation points, you are clearly not whiny and miserable, and therefore not "emo". right?   O0

Gee thanks, You're not half bad yourself. ^_^
Exactly. See, it's all about how you respond to information. I fucking hate termites. But Wyatt doesn't. Between an optimist and a pessimist, the information doesn't differ, but the response to it.

old news

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2009, 12:31:35 PM »

Uni is fantastic. It's such an opportunity. Okay, so it's not for everyone, but I think you'd enjoy it, Indja...if you went the right place and studied the right thing, of course, and that's half the problem. By the sounds of it, you'd do English Literature? With something else (German?)?

Alyss

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2009, 12:34:39 PM »

Or it might be totally wrong. My Mum went to Uni and dropped out after two months; she became a psychiatric month instead. Go for what you're drawn to.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2009, 12:36:29 PM »

Uni is fantastic. It's such an opportunity. Okay, so it's not for everyone, but I think you'd enjoy it, Indja...if you went the right place and studied the right thing, of course, and that's half the problem. By the sounds of it, you'd do English Literature? With something else (German?)?
Agreed, not for  everyone,  but a good opportunity  to meet new people, experience new
things, and generally bridge the gap between life-in-parents'-house and life-on-your-own.

(...but we shouldn't derail the thread...)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

the empty girl

• cyber stalker extraordinaire.
  • I'm going to go draw happy cheese now.
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2009, 01:13:29 PM »

Might I enquire about the purpose of the ridiculously tiny font?

"When people say they envy me and my life that's like a movie come true, I smile and neglect to tell them that the movie is Rock-a-Doodle." -JV
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 32  All   Go Up