THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Woman trades someone else's kids for bird  (Read 3454 times)

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
Re: Woman trades someone else's kids for bird
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 07:21:25 PM »

o_O'

omg, Sethie, are you referring to the story, or the 'bear?

Eh, a little of both.  ^-^

;_;

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 02:19:26 AM »

it reminds me of something that happened to a friend of a friend of mine.......... apparently he traded the families only cow,
which they relied on for milk, for a bunch of so called magic beans.
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

unfortunate slip

• Whoops!
  • Lanky brunettes with wicked jaws.
    • my site
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 07:08:11 PM »

it reminds me of something that happened to a friend of a friend of mine.......... apparently he traded the families only cow,
What the hell was he smoking? Magic beans, pfft. Next he'll be saying he's got a hen that lays golden eggs.
The boys throw stones at the frogs in jest.
But the frogs die in earnest.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 08:35:46 PM »

What the hell was he smoking? Magic beans, pfft. Next he'll be saying he's got a hen that lays golden eggs.

*pulls collar*  Oh dear.

*shoves her Mirror Mirror on the wall out of sight*

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 09:18:13 PM »

*pulls collar*  Oh dear.

Actually, he went into law enforcement.  He's now D.I. Spratt of the Reading P.D.'s
NCD (Nursery Crimes Division), assisted by the able D.S. Mary.  (I can't make this up...)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 09:19:42 PM »

*pulls collar*  Oh dear.

Actually, he went into law enforcement.  He's now D.I. Spratt of the Reading P.D.'s
NCD (Nursery Crimes Division), assisted by the able D.S. Mary.  (I can't make this up...)

That is ridiculously cute.  I want that book.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 09:24:14 PM »

neil gaiman wrote a story with a very similar theme many years ago..... and also there is a pretty good graphic novel series about exiled faerytale characters in the modern world
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 09:25:37 PM »

*pulls collar*  Oh dear.

That is ridiculously cute.  I want that book.
I can honestly say that J. Fforde's work is an amazing combination of wit and readability.
He's incredibly clever, and occasionally you have to go back and re-read a bit...  then laugh
hysterically for a few minutes, but he's not so clever that you won't get the gags.

Also, it frequently seems that he delibrately writes things that can not possibly ever be
translated to motion picture format.

unfortunate slip

• Whoops!
  • Lanky brunettes with wicked jaws.
    • my site
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 09:39:35 AM »

Also, it frequently seems that he delibrately writes things that can not possibly ever be
I think that's more due to his stance on the matter, than any lack of trying on the movie people's part:
Quote from: Jasper Fforde
This is the short answer: "If I don't direct them, they don't get made." I spent nearly 20 years in the movies so know a little bit about them, and I'm not having my work made into a cinematic farrago of the highest order by someone else. That's my job. Put another way: "I'd rather they weren't made than made wrong" or from a purely selfish perspective: "I wouldn't make them for the money, I'd make them for the fun - and if I can't have any fun I'm going home and taking my football with me."
And I guess I'd have to agree with him, especially considering how awesome his books are and what a hash could potentially be made of them as films.

Oh, and here's Neil Gaiman's take on the nursery rhyme/detective thing: The Case of Four and Twenty Blackbirds.
The boys throw stones at the frogs in jest.
But the frogs die in earnest.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 09:12:58 PM »

I think that's more due to his stance on the matter, than any lack of trying on the movie people's part:
Quote from: Jasper Fforde
This is the short answer: "If I don't direct them, they don't get made." I spent nearly 20 years in the movies so know a little bit about them, and I'm not having my work made into a cinematic farrago of the highest order by someone else. That's my job. Put another way: "I'd rather they weren't made than made wrong" or from a purely selfish perspective: "I wouldn't make them for the money, I'd make them for the fun - and if I can't have any fun I'm going home and taking my football with me."
And I guess I'd have to agree with him, especially considering how awesome his books are and what a hash could potentially be made of them as films.
I hadn't seen that quote...
I still can't see how some of his passages could possibly be filmed. (I'm thinking, as an example
of the fast-dialogue method for revealing fictional characters, if you remember that bit.)

However, I'm fairly sure he is a genius (having created the whole thing and all), so maybe it is
possible.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up