THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Obama says Iraq pullout by Aug 2010  (Read 2956 times)

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
Re: Obama says Iraq pullout by Aug 2010
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 09:12:09 PM »

Worries about taxation, on the level of personal finance and on the level prosperity are misplaced... at best. More realistically, the truth of the matter seems to counter conservative intuition. Tax breaks, when all is said and done, in a society like our own, take more money out of your pocket than taxes do. People tend not to look more than a step or two into it. Government spending is not money taken from the people. It is money spent toward the people. Grift is still grift, and we need oversight, but the dysphemistic use of the term "tax and spend liberal" is the war cry of the short-sighted. The opposite of tax and spend is "relinquish the role and allow to stall". The current situation is a pretty resounding affirmation of this. Even if it wasn't, it is now. No entity is in a real position to spend money... except the government. In a stalled and rededing economy, someone needs to. The goverment is not some alien occupancy. It is our own arm. Government spending and projects made America what it is. It has saved America before. It has faced the same sort of opposition to every great work (interstates, trans-continental railrod, National Parks network, the Louisiana Purchase... the list goes on), but these works created prosperity and paved the way for the private industries conservatives claim can and should fly solo.

And then the BALLS they have to say spending never worked, and that it took a war to get us out ofThe Great Depression. The New Deal saved this nation, or we wouldn't have existed to fight WW2. Add to that, the war WAS additional spending. Public works are like war but with creation instead of destruction... and no enemies to worry about down the line.

Liberalism is economically wise, and Barack Obama is a visionary.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

Rob

• Now I must go, Sean Hannity is on.
  • Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 10:46:02 PM »

My comment was about deceit, not taxes.

We've been over all of this before.  I don't have a problem with taxes.  I have a problem with wasted tax money.  The Federal government is not the most efficient entity in terms of administrating contracts.  If the Fed wasn't allowed to become the leviathan that it has, it would not neeed to assume the role of mother hen.  If the Government is not spending money it has taken from the people, then where has the money come from...China?

The interstate system is a wonderful thing, but there is unimaginable waste every year. 
I have mentioned in other places the fact that government contracts are issued daily that are then subbed out to smaller contractors for fractions of the amount.

Local accountability is essential to responsible taxing and spending.

I did hear something promising today.  Obama mentioned overhauling the process of granting Government contracts.  I hope that this time, he will stick to the original statement and not insert x amount of exceptions after everyone is on board.

Billions of dollars can be saved by making companies actually compete for jobs, and by not allowing them to sub contracts out.

Fiscal conservatism works at home, it can work for the government.
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 11:02:41 PM »

Indeed, the contracting plan is a bit of promising news. No one, on either side of the aisle, LIKES waste. Sometimes, we define it differently, but being assraped by contractors isn't going to be popular with anyone these days.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 12:55:15 AM »

I find a depressing sort of amusement in the "Conservatives' " talk of an 'insurgency',
and their "I hope you fail" rhetoric....

Remember the old adage:  Lead, follow, or get out of the way ?

Well, they led us to where we are now, they seem unwilling to follow, so is it too much to
ask for them to get the f- out of the way?
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up