THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 16  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ukulele Appreciation thread.  (Read 33968 times)

MauraLeeBee

• give me a philosophy, and I'll probably quote some Fitzgerald :)
  • & & &
    • Writing blog
Re: Ukulele Appreciation thread.
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2010, 10:22:21 PM »

Well shit, why don't you just buy the EVELYN EVELYN uke?
That way you can get things to compliment it.
Everybody wins.

Can you buy them separately now? I already have an Evelyn Evelyn bundle (the 66 dollar one)
Cause FUCK YEAH I'D BUY ONE.

No you can not buy them seperately. That's why I addede.....you can get things to compliment it. Ya know. Cause you get things with the bundle.

Right right. That didn't click right away.  :uglystupid2:
Issue is that I already got the bundle. Unless I convinced a friend to buy it for me, purely for the ukulele, and then I bought them an Evelyn Evelyn ticket to one of the shows, this wouldn't work over too well.
marmite does not lend itself to a painting medium

NO ONE CAN STARE AT THE WALL.

cynthiaskeezy

« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2010, 10:25:10 PM »

Or you can E-bay the bundle and get a bigger bundle O0
Christine O'Donnell is just like me. She's a gay left-leaner who masturbates daily.

MauraLeeBee

• & & &
    • Writing blog
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2010, 08:29:40 PM »

Perhaps. But I already wore my tee shirt and ran it through the wash. :sigh:

Today, my stepdad called the ukulele a "novelty instrument", saying that you don't hear "real bands" releasing a lot of songs, or even whole albums, playing them. He thinks I should pick up guitar, and claims he knows "more about music than I do, because he's a fucking musician blahblahblah..."

I, honestly, think he's full of crap. Obviously he lives under a rock, because so many artists are using ukuleles now. NeverShoutNever, Evelyn Evelyn, Amanda Palmer, Julia Nunes, Ingrid Michaelson, Jason Castro... He LISTENS to Jason Castro, and still says that. I don't think the lightbulb's going off for him.

In a nutshell: he thinks it's a waste for me to spend money on a uke, but I'm going to anyway, as soon as I finish my job application.  O0

skald

• sex on stilts.
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2010, 08:46:20 PM »

I've recently discovered my dad's old toy ukulele in my parents' house's basement. I am in love, even though I suck. I don't know how long it'll hold together. It's in pretty good shape, but it IS 30 years old. I might have to buy a real one D: I never thought it could happen to me...

Matty

• Space Pirate King
    • Myspace
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2010, 12:03:30 PM »

Today, my stepdad called the ukulele a "novelty instrument", saying that you don't hear "real bands" releasing a lot of songs, or even whole albums, playing them. He thinks I should pick up guitar, and claims he knows "more about music than I do, because he's a fucking musician blahblahblah..."

I, honestly, think he's full of crap. Obviously he lives under a rock, because so many artists are using ukuleles now. NeverShoutNever, Evelyn Evelyn, Amanda Palmer, Julia Nunes, Ingrid Michaelson, Jason Castro... He LISTENS to Jason Castro, and still says that. I don't think the lightbulb's going off for him.

In a nutshell: he thinks it's a waste for me to spend money on a uke, but I'm going to anyway, as soon as I finish my job application.  O0

Fucking bullshit, for some people, nothing will do unless it's guitar, bass and drums.

Because y'know, music and art is all about being like everyone else...
The Shadowbox.
Being sutbly illegal since the birth of Amanda Palmer.

MauraLeeBee

• & & &
    • Writing blog
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2010, 02:41:46 PM »

Fucking bullshit, for some people, nothing will do unless it's guitar, bass and drums.

Oh, of course! :eye roll:

I know far too many people that play guitar, and very few who actually play guitar. It's almost become a fashion statement, playing them. I actually don't know that many bass players or drummers (I own a bass myself, but haven't touched it in a year because it's too much of a hassle to get tabs), but the few I know play it BECAUSE THEY WANT TO. Not because they wanted to play Marimba, but their parents were like WHY DON'T YOU PICK UP GUITAR INSTEAD.

I don't really care though.

Viva La Ukulele!!  :brave:

Pelle

• I apparently am a
    • Sorry Bunch
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2010, 05:10:59 PM »

Ghehe I like the ukelele but I love guitar. Then again I also play the piano and bass. I just like the guitar because you can talk with it (same goes for the piano. Bass is badass because you I love funk :D ).

cbkof

« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2010, 05:29:54 PM »

Oh, of course! :eye roll:

I know far too many people that play guitar, and very few who actually play guitar. It's almost become a fashion statement, playing them. I actually don't know that many bass players or drummers (I own a bass myself, but haven't touched it in a year because it's too much of a hassle to get tabs), but the few I know play it BECAUSE THEY WANT TO. Not because they wanted to play Marimba, but their parents were like WHY DON'T YOU PICK UP GUITAR INSTEAD.

I don't really care though.

Viva La Ukulele!!  :brave:

I love my geetars but hell yeah VIVA LA UKELELE (though I do not yet own one, borrow a friend’s from time to time and am wonderfully awful with it). As for uke haters, they should be put down – you know, mildly insulted - not anesthetized euthanized, no, that would be wrong.
what is Enoch Root? who is Jeff Lint?

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different burritos". -- Bob Einstein

Matty

• Space Pirate King
    • Myspace
« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2010, 08:58:25 PM »

The Bass Guitar can be a fantastic instrument in it's own right, see Pulled To Bits by Siouxsie and the Banshees, I Can't Hardly Stand It by the Cramps, Evil by Interpol, almost any song by The Red Hot Chili Peppers (Flea is a GOD).. basically any instrument can make a splash.
Including the Ukulele. Because it fucking rules.

Speaking of Ukes, me and my girlfriend are planning our wedding and we've decided to substitute the traditional wedding march for Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What A Wonderful World. Not sure if we're gonna have it played or hire somebody to do it. The latter may be a bit pricey but it's what I'd prefer.
The Shadowbox.
Being sutbly illegal since the birth of Amanda Palmer.

MauraLeeBee

• & & &
    • Writing blog
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2010, 09:51:04 PM »

^^^ That's awesome.  :D

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
  • "Fuck it. Life is short. Create hard."
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2010, 05:17:30 PM »

Christ, old comedians were awesome.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/yd4cW4hZqVo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/yd4cW4hZqVo</a>
Quote from: Captain Awkward
Anyway, you're just walking around with these teeth in your vagina and you think it's normal cos like, who do you ask about that shit? Then, one day you go to have sex with someone & they're all "WHY DOES YOUR VAGINA HAVE A TOOTH IN IT?" That'd be damn awkward.

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2010, 05:19:11 PM »

Christ, old comedians were awesome.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yd4cW4hZqVo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yd4cW4hZqVo</a>
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

earthshine

• Lord of the Thighs
  • I've got terminal uniqueness!
« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2010, 06:14:29 PM »

^^ I bought my first ukulele a couple of days ago, and my parents won't stop going on about this song now >:(
Quote from: Indja
Quote from: CeeGBee
Is pussy allowed in the Batcave?   :-\
Homophobe.

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

http://twitter.com/sisterdisco http://www.facebook.com/nat.davies1
ADD ME!!! :)

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #148 on: May 27, 2010, 06:20:02 PM »

The Wellington International Ukelele Orchestra

The dozen-strong strummers of the WIUO faithfully reproduce hit songs from across the musical spectrum. They are a consistent sell-out act in their home country, where the ukulele has been a beloved instrument since its appearance on the first official New Zealand pop single.
The orchestra provides harmonious and hilarious renditions of classics, rock hits and folk tunes as well as songs in their country’s native tongue. The comedy comes from the witty banter, but when the WIUO bursts into song it could go several ways: the sweet sounds can silence a room in a nanosecond, or bring a crowd of thousands to their feet.
At their gigs, you can expect inviting sing-a-longs, outstanding instrumentals, well-dressed individuals, sparkling harmonies and comic banter. The WIUO has rocked rock venues, botanic gardens and vineyards, and they've also been known to rock libraries, museums, art galleries and the inter-island ferry.
Official Site|Myspace

(cross-posted in New Zealand Music Month thread)
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

MauraLeeBee

• & & &
    • Writing blog
« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2010, 09:39:13 PM »

^^^ AWESOME. But what's that guy with the bass doing there? He doesn't even have a ukulele. :P

Just bought my new one, Leitstern. It's amazing. It sparkles.  :D

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 16  All   Go Up