THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ukulele Appreciation thread.  (Read 34041 times)

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
Re: Ukulele Appreciation thread.
« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2010, 05:48:08 AM »

^^^ AWESOME. But what's that guy with the bass doing there? He doesn't even have a ukulele. :P

It's not a bass. It's just a giant ass ukulele
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

MauraLeeBee

• give me a philosophy, and I'll probably quote some Fitzgerald :)
  • & & &
    • Writing blog
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2010, 07:05:49 AM »

Wait. For realsies?  :o
marmite does not lend itself to a painting medium

NO ONE CAN STARE AT THE WALL.

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
  • "Fuck it. Life is short. Create hard."
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2010, 12:25:13 PM »

Quote from: Captain Awkward
Anyway, you're just walking around with these teeth in your vagina and you think it's normal cos like, who do you ask about that shit? Then, one day you go to have sex with someone & they're all "WHY DOES YOUR VAGINA HAVE A TOOTH IN IT?" That'd be damn awkward.

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2010, 03:59:59 AM »

Wait. For realsies?  :o
Oh yeah. Fo shizzle
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2010, 01:01:41 PM »

I've had my Oscar Schmidt OU5 for a few years now and the other day I got one of the little green Mahalo ones so I can paint it and not feel bad.
bitch please, my hate can't be contained in one thread.

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2010, 01:40:03 PM »

I've had my Oscar Schmidt OU5 for a few years now and the other day I got one of the little green Mahalo ones so I can paint it and not feel bad.

Ooo, is that good? cause I might be getting an OU2 after I'm finished my exams.
Anyway, you're just walking around with these teeth in your vagina and you think it's normal cos like, who do you ask about that shit? Then, one day you go to have sex with someone & they're all "WHY DOES YOUR VAGINA HAVE A TOOTH IN IT?" That'd be damn awkward.

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2010, 02:17:14 PM »

I loooooove my ou5. I played an ou3wh(Its white and looks super fancy) yesterday and that one was way awesome.

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2010, 02:31:05 PM »

Yay :)

I just wish more OS's were painted because I kind of don't like natural finishes but it would be a crime to paint over one :/

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2010, 02:38:15 PM »

Someone should make interchangeable ukulele skins, like the ones for phones.

MauraLeeBee

• & & &
    • Writing blog
« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »

Someone should make interchangeable ukulele skins, like the ones for phones.

That would be cool, especially if there were clear ones. Then you couldn't have to buy paint sealer and get it EVERYWHERE. :P

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2010, 09:14:03 PM »

Perhaps. But I already wore my tee shirt and ran it through the wash. :sigh:

Today, my stepdad called the ukulele a "novelty instrument", saying that you don't hear "real bands" releasing a lot of songs, or even whole albums, playing them. He thinks I should pick up guitar, and claims he knows "more about music than I do, because he's a fucking musician blahblahblah..."

I, honestly, think he's full of crap. Obviously he lives under a rock, because so many artists are using ukuleles now. NeverShoutNever, Evelyn Evelyn, Amanda Palmer, Julia Nunes, Ingrid Michaelson, Jason Castro... He LISTENS to Jason Castro, and still says that. I don't think the lightbulb's going off for him.

In a nutshell: he thinks it's a waste for me to spend money on a uke, but I'm going to anyway, as soon as I finish my job application.  O0

My would-be sister-in-law (they're not married but basically are) asked me the other day "So when are you going to learn to play real guitar?". In my typical rapier "esprit d'escalier", I thought afterwards that I should have said "Go tell a concert violinist to learn 'real cello'."

And I know it's a late reply to this discussion, but €250 isn't too much all if ukulele is your primary instrument. Don't forget that a lot people that have been playing electric guitar for a good while have a couple of grand worth of guitars.

MauraLeeBee

• & & &
    • Writing blog
« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2010, 09:38:55 PM »

Perhaps. But I already wore my tee shirt and ran it through the wash. :sigh:

Today, my stepdad called the ukulele a "novelty instrument", saying that you don't hear "real bands" releasing a lot of songs, or even whole albums, playing them. He thinks I should pick up guitar, and claims he knows "more about music than I do, because he's a fucking musician blahblahblah..."

I, honestly, think he's full of crap. Obviously he lives under a rock, because so many artists are using ukuleles now. NeverShoutNever, Evelyn Evelyn, Amanda Palmer, Julia Nunes, Ingrid Michaelson, Jason Castro... He LISTENS to Jason Castro, and still says that. I don't think the lightbulb's going off for him.

In a nutshell: he thinks it's a waste for me to spend money on a uke, but I'm going to anyway, as soon as I finish my job application.  O0

My would-be sister-in-law (they're not married but basically are) asked me the other day "So when are you going to learn to play real guitar?". In my typical rapier "esprit d'escalier", I thought afterwards that I should have said "Go tell a concert violinist to learn 'real cello'."

And I know it's a late reply to this discussion, but €250 isn't too much all if ukulele is your primary instrument. Don't forget that a lot people that have been playing electric guitar for a good while have a couple of grand worth of guitars.

True. I mean, I bought a new one recently, and it makes me very happy. I'm actually decent at playing now and my stepfather doesn't give me a hard time anymore.
The bit about the couple grand of guitars is incredibly true. My stepfather actually recently sold his twelve string guitar, and had guitars in our house that aren't even strung. My boy-love is the same way, from when we were discussing expensive hobbies (I collect and paint ball-jointed dolls), and he said his only similar thing was guitars. And piercings. But that's irrelevant.

I wish I had gotten the EE ukulele... It would have been really cool.
However, I love my baby now, and it's just been so good so far. It hasn't jumped out of my hands into the ocean yet, which makes me happy. :)

The King of Carrot Flowers

• 67 Indja Points
    • Surviving in a World of Stylish Peril
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2010, 10:40:28 PM »

I just got one a couple days ago! I can play "Orphans" (theastronaut's song), "The Truth" and the opening from "Postcards from Italy".

overratedtoejam

« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2010, 10:54:48 PM »

so, i need a new uke cause mine sucks. i already know which models i want, but i can't decide between concert or tenor. opinions?

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #164 on: July 03, 2010, 10:18:02 AM »

so, i need a new uke cause mine sucks. i already know which models i want, but i can't decide between concert or tenor. opinions?

If you pick more than you strum, go for tenor. But you can still pick very well on a concert.

A concert ukulele will still maintain the bright ukulele sound of the soprano for strumming, but you lose that on a tenor; but that may or may not be a bad thing depending on how how you like the sound.

Also, a tenor is slightly louder, so if you're going to be performing unamplified, that might be helpful.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16  All   Go Up