THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ukulele Appreciation thread.  (Read 34049 times)

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
  • "Fuck it. Life is short. Create hard."
    • My Bandcamp
Re: Ukulele Appreciation thread.
« Reply #180 on: July 22, 2010, 04:46:54 PM »

the sculpting is all done with Milliput, the dolls eyes are original victorian glass dolls eyes..... then lots of metallic enamel paints and varnish

and the ukulele itself? parts etc?
Quote from: Captain Awkward
Anyway, you're just walking around with these teeth in your vagina and you think it's normal cos like, who do you ask about that shit? Then, one day you go to have sex with someone & they're all "WHY DOES YOUR VAGINA HAVE A TOOTH IN IT?" That'd be damn awkward.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #181 on: July 22, 2010, 04:51:37 PM »

the sculpting is all done with Milliput, the dolls eyes are original victorian glass dolls eyes..... then lots of metallic enamel paints and varnish

standard Makala cheap Uke with dolphin shaped thing where the strings go at the base
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #182 on: July 22, 2010, 04:52:19 PM »

(now squiddy thing)

@raliel

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #183 on: July 22, 2010, 05:18:18 PM »

standard Makala cheap Uke with dolphin shaped thing where the strings go at the base

In fairness, that's probably the best uke you can get for £20 pounds.
Anyway, you're just walking around with these teeth in your vagina and you think it's normal cos like, who do you ask about that shit? Then, one day you go to have sex with someone & they're all "WHY DOES YOUR VAGINA HAVE A TOOTH IN IT?" That'd be damn awkward.

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #184 on: July 22, 2010, 05:26:22 PM »

i kinda hate ukulele. i think it strangely works only in a few song / artists. like yeah the creep cover on uke. but i still hate it. and i hate how this makes me feel a lot less of a fan, cause EVERY afp fan i know has one...  :embarassed:

It's okay!!! I don't have one either and I have no intentions of getting one. I think they're a fair bit overrated. I don't actually mind how they sound sometimes, but I am a bit weirded out by how everyone has jumped onto the ukulele train.

Ah.  Kindred spirits!  How did I miss these posts?  Oh, I know - because they were in a thread with the word "ukelele" in it.
"The world is going to hell in a hand-basket, but it sure is nice up here on the hill."   A. Kujawa

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #185 on: July 22, 2010, 05:30:04 PM »

I t actually sounds a lot better since the makeover and is a LOT deeper

@raliel

Mouse

« Reply #186 on: July 22, 2010, 07:06:35 PM »

Spect it's a lot better than your little blue one, at any rate... :P I'd be curious to hear it, d'you think you'd be able to record it in action or anything?

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #187 on: July 22, 2010, 07:14:56 PM »

What's strings did you use?

Sorry. Uke geekyness is even worse than guitar geekyness.

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #188 on: July 23, 2010, 05:18:43 AM »

i kinda hate ukulele. i think it strangely works only in a few song / artists. like yeah the creep cover on uke. but i still hate it. and i hate how this makes me feel a lot less of a fan, cause EVERY afp fan i know has one...  :embarassed:

It's okay!!! I don't have one either and I have no intentions of getting one. I think they're a fair bit overrated. I don't actually mind how they sound sometimes, but I am a bit weirded out by how everyone has jumped onto the ukulele train.

Ah.  Kindred spirits!  How did I miss these posts?  Oh, I know - because they were in a thread with the word "ukelele" in it.

May I point out that it's not everyone jumping on the train.  I got one because I wanted to learn something new and (no shit) I'd heard nice things about the uke and was curious, so purchased a cheap one.  I refuse to be associated with 'omfg afp has a uke I HAVE TO HAVE ONE!1!1!!' because that's kinda not nice on people who Actually wanted a new project.  Learning has been a bit too easy and now I need a new project, but I wouldn't say it was suprising that some would try the instrument because they'd heard a lot about it, rather than just being obsessed with being like amanda.

I'm pretty sure we had a discussion about this a while ago when you were getting or had recently gotten (I forget) your uke and I pretty well explained how I see this whole thing. You would be crazy to deny that a fucking heap of people ARE getting them because of Amanda. Definitely enough to warrant a comment on how so many people are jumping onto that particular bandwagon. That's not even a particularly bad thing. If she is introducing people to an instrument that they wouldn't have considered before and they are having a nice time and making music with it, great, good for them! But no one ever said that everyone ever was getting them only because of Amanda.
This had seemed to me to be more about not enjoying them so much or getting the hype when everyone else seems to love them.
Guns N' Roses are red, violets are funny...

Unbreakable toys are useful for breaking other toys.

I witnessed the Cake Sex Riot-4/3/12. Pray for me.
☑✝
☒♀+cake

JohnnyDBBUK

• Proud custodian of the Neville sisters souls
  • Where in time is Brian Viglione?
    • ~Gaslight Cabaret Club~
« Reply #189 on: July 23, 2010, 06:42:12 AM »

mandolin>Uke :P
stick that in your grass skirt and smoke it

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #190 on: July 23, 2010, 08:24:12 AM »

What about mandoleles?

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #191 on: July 23, 2010, 10:27:09 AM »

May I point out that it's not everyone jumping on the train.  I got one because I wanted to learn something new and (no shit) I'd heard nice things about the uke and was curious, so purchased a cheap one.  I refuse to be associated with 'omfg afp has a uke I HAVE TO HAVE ONE!1!1!!' because that's kinda not nice on people who Actually wanted a new project.  Learning has been a bit too easy and now I need a new project, but I wouldn't say it was suprising that some would try the instrument because they'd heard a lot about it, rather than just being obsessed with being like amanda.

I'm pretty sure we had a discussion about this a while ago when you were getting or had recently gotten (I forget) your uke and I pretty well explained how I see this whole thing. You would be crazy to deny that a fucking heap of people ARE getting them because of Amanda. Definitely enough to warrant a comment on how so many people are jumping onto that particular bandwagon. That's not even a particularly bad thing. If she is introducing people to an instrument that they wouldn't have considered before and they are having a nice time and making music with it, great, good for them! But no one ever said that everyone ever was getting them only because of Amanda.
This had seemed to me to be more about not enjoying them so much or getting the hype when everyone else seems to love them.

What Audrey said.

And I don't even completely hate the ukelele.  A friend of mine has a little group wherein he plays one (among other instruments), but I wouldn't like it much without the toy piano.  And the singer, of course.  To-wit: 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6K7faw6dHD4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6K7faw6dHD4</a>
"The world is going to hell in a hand-basket, but it sure is nice up here on the hill."   A. Kujawa

Pliwood180

• Americana, tropicana
  • We have got to take cover, brother.
« Reply #192 on: July 25, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »

^ I like that.

I've been envisioning myself roaming around as a dorky freshman with a uke this fall... So, what would be a good starter uke? What do you all have & where did you get it (if it's somewhat cheap)?

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2010, 08:18:53 PM »

^ You're local music shop will probably have a cheap €20 Mahalo or Makala. These will be cheaply made and might sound a bit awful to music-y people, but unless you're sure the uke suits you or you already play guitar or mandolin or banjo or Baroque lute, go with the cheap uke. If you hate playing it - which you probably won't - you'll only be out twenty euros, and if you find you really like it, you can get a new one quickly. If you do end up LOVING it, a good entry level uke (which for the most part cost about $100 retail, or if you're lucky, nearly half that on eBay) would be one from Kala, Ohana, Lanikai, or Oscar Schmidt (which are a wing of Washburn Guitars). I have an Oscar Schmidt OU2 that I got for $60 on eBay and I am totally infatuated with it.  :love5:

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2010, 08:26:58 PM »

DOUBLE POST BECAUSE THE MODIFY BUTTON IS FOR GIMPS AND WHORES! :D subtlety is theft

After a lot of hassle, I finally figured out that "5" chords are called power chords, and that's why I couldn't find them anywhere for uke. I feel really silly now. :-\
But now I can play Tori Amos songs :D
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16  All   Go Up