THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ukulele Appreciation thread.  (Read 34048 times)

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
Re: Ukulele Appreciation thread.
« Reply #210 on: March 06, 2011, 09:47:51 PM »

I'm going to Hawaii in April, think that I could get a real working uke from there without being a stereotypical bullshit toy?

YES. Hawaiian music shops for the most should part should have decent ukes, but if here's a pretty comprehensive list of the uke shops in different parts of Hawaii: http://www.hawaiianmusichistory.com/ukulele/shops-hawaii.htm

Thank-you Grahamster!!
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

MauraLeeBee

• give me a philosophy, and I'll probably quote some Fitzgerald :)
  • & & &
    • Writing blog
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2011, 09:23:21 AM »

Do you guys prefer to play/listen to the ukulele with or without a pick of some sort? Just curious, because I can't decide if I wanna play with a pick or not for this acoustic event at my school. xD

I personally like both.
marmite does not lend itself to a painting medium

NO ONE CAN STARE AT THE WALL.

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
  • "Fuck it. Life is short. Create hard."
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2011, 11:59:50 AM »

I have both light nylon plectrums and special felt ukulele ones, and to be honest, I can't stand the sound of either. I find they sound really thin and plunky and harsh.
Quote from: Captain Awkward
Anyway, you're just walking around with these teeth in your vagina and you think it's normal cos like, who do you ask about that shit? Then, one day you go to have sex with someone & they're all "WHY DOES YOUR VAGINA HAVE A TOOTH IN IT?" That'd be damn awkward.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #213 on: March 19, 2011, 01:22:47 PM »

Do you guys prefer to play/listen to the ukulele with or without a pick of some sort? Just curious, because I can't decide if I wanna play with a pick or not for this acoustic event at my school. xD

I personally like both.
I am reminded of a bit of stage banter from a KT Tunstall recording I have.....

"so, for the next song, do you all want strummy-strummy, or picky-picky?"

I forget which song came next, so I don't know which side prevailed,
but it can't hurt to have a  full range of tools in the toolbox...
For the specific event (I'm guessing it's one of those where you play only one song?)
I'd say you should play the song you're happiest with, whatever the mechanics.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

MauraLeeBee

• give me a philosophy, and I'll probably quote some Fitzgerald :)
  • & & &
    • Writing blog
« Reply #214 on: March 19, 2011, 07:05:06 PM »

I personally like both.
I am reminded of a bit of stage banter from a KT Tunstall recording I have.....

"so, for the next song, do you all want strummy-strummy, or picky-picky?"

I forget which song came next, so I don't know which side prevailed,
but it can't hurt to have a  full range of tools in the toolbox...
For the specific event (I'm guessing it's one of those where you play only one song?)
I'd say you should play the song you're happiest with, whatever the mechanics.

I'm playing three songs: "In My Mind", "You & I" and "Fucking Perfect". I know I'll definitely play with a pick for "You & I", but I'm unsure about the other two.
marmite does not lend itself to a painting medium

NO ONE CAN STARE AT THE WALL.

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #215 on: March 19, 2011, 07:09:03 PM »

Forgetting what I said earlier, at the end of the day it's what you're most comfortable.
Anyway, you're just walking around with these teeth in your vagina and you think it's normal cos like, who do you ask about that shit? Then, one day you go to have sex with someone & they're all "WHY DOES YOUR VAGINA HAVE A TOOTH IN IT?" That'd be damn awkward.

buttercup.

• the girl you have in that merry green land...
  • ...can wait forever for you to come home.
« Reply #216 on: March 19, 2011, 07:35:11 PM »

James and I were talking about Ukulele's, and I mentioned AFP's ukulele playings, and he didn't know what I was talking about.  :violent5:
I felt like I messed up in my job as his girlfriend.

Anyway go ukes...even though I prefer mandolins.

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #217 on: March 19, 2011, 08:51:22 PM »

Fair enough if you do, I mean they do have a lovely sound.

I'd consider getting one, but I get the impression that it's more for melody rather then chord-y accompaniment, though. Would I be incorrect in saying that?

theseeker

• Look ma, I stole my very own
« Reply #218 on: April 06, 2011, 07:01:33 PM »

^ I think that you're right. My dad and one of my sisters both play mandolins, and I've never heard chord-y accompaniment. Then again, when they're not playing in a group they switch to mandolin for an instrumental bit, so maybe it can be managed with other people. They're easier to get a nice sound out of, as far as I've heard, though, so it makes sense to use them for melodies rather than chords ;D I think that mandolins are easier to trill on and tune than ukuleles.

I'm thinking about maybe getting a ukulele, just because they're so much easier to carry around than other instruments. My instruments are either too big or too fragile to carry everywhere. How do ukuleles vary from each other?
Sorry.

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #219 on: April 06, 2011, 09:35:29 PM »

Well, the main variant is the size. There are three main sizes, and a wierd cousin size.

The smallest is the soprano or standard size. This is the size most people think of when they think of the ukulele. The little red one AFP has is a soprano. These have a bright, plinky, treble-y sound, and very little bass in the tone. They are pretty much only ever used for strumming and are rarely seen being picked.

The next size up is the concert, which is slightly bigger. The scale is also slightly longer, which means the frets are further apart, which most people find makes it easier to play. The slightly bigger size of the body means their is a good bit more bass in the tone, but still maintains that bright ukulele sound. You'd often see them picked, but not as often as you would a tenor, and a concert would tend to have less sustain. This is the size I prefer because I like the bright tone but not the bassless one of the soprano.

Then, the biggest normal size is the tenor, which is again bigger and longer in scale than the concert. The big wooden fancy one AFP has is a Pono tenor. These have a deeper, bassier tone, but to a large extent lose the brightness of a soprano or concert. Most people who pick use these. These seem to marginally be the most popular ukes among singer-songwriter types.

Bear in mind when I talk about the tone, I don't mean the actual pitch of the tuning, I am just referring to sound of the instrument and how it rings.

There is also the baritone ukulele, which is tuned like the top four strings on a guitar, a fourth deeper than the ukulele. This is basically a cross between a ukulele sound and a guitar sound. It's quite a different sound to other ukes, but very mellow and beautiful. If you can play guitar you can already play this without any learning curve, and also pretty much the same if you already play any other kind of uke.

There's also this video that I probably could have posted instead of writing this spiel:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/l0xnNs56GsI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/l0xnNs56GsI</a>

theseeker

« Reply #220 on: April 06, 2011, 10:02:13 PM »

Thanks so much! It's really helpful to me that you wrote all that, so don't worry :P

(I was going to ask a stupid question here... uhm. If I get one I'll figure stuff out then.)
Sorry.

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #221 on: April 30, 2011, 09:15:29 PM »

For those who hate/dislike ukuleles: how do youse find baritone ukes?

lisaroxsox

• GiRL aNaCHRoNiSM
« Reply #222 on: May 11, 2011, 06:04:11 PM »

i want to learn. i`m afraid my fingers will hurt a lot though  :-\
~*~lisamarie~*~

Rosebud

« Reply #223 on: May 11, 2011, 07:35:08 PM »

i want to learn. i`m afraid my fingers will hurt a lot though  :-\

I'm assuming you don't already play a string instrument. Regardless, the uke's effect on fingers is nothing compared to guitar/violin.
It hurts for a while, but eventually your fingers just get used to it.

theseeker

« Reply #224 on: May 11, 2011, 09:34:35 PM »

@lisaroxsox It doesn't hurt the joints in your hands at all, but your fingertips could get a little sore. Ukulele strings (the cheap ones, at least) are nice and smooth, so it takes very little time to get used to them. The main reason I picked up the uke is because guitar was to too painful for me.
Sorry.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16  All   Go Up