THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ukulele Appreciation thread.  (Read 34038 times)

Pliwood180

• Americana, tropicana
  • We have got to take cover, brother.
Re: Ukulele Appreciation thread.
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2010, 09:36:33 AM »

Thanks! I checked out all kinds of things. I don't feel like maniacally bidding on one on eBay, so I checked the music store I usually buy from. Here's what I'm 90% sure I want: http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-Hawaiian-Soprano-Ukulele?sku=519269

The reviews are decent.

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
  • "Fuck it. Life is short. Create hard."
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2010, 10:17:18 AM »

Thanks! I checked out all kinds of things. I don't feel like maniacally bidding on one on eBay, so I checked the music store I usually buy from. Here's what I'm 90% sure I want: http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-Hawaiian-Soprano-Ukulele?sku=519269

The reviews are decent.

I've never heard of the company, but it looks like excellent value. I'd definitely go for that to start.
Quote from: Captain Awkward
Anyway, you're just walking around with these teeth in your vagina and you think it's normal cos like, who do you ask about that shit? Then, one day you go to have sex with someone & they're all "WHY DOES YOUR VAGINA HAVE A TOOTH IN IT?" That'd be damn awkward.

armyoflarry

• and army of names
  • a human, lyman sinister, jupiter or japan
« Reply #197 on: July 27, 2010, 01:49:48 PM »

The reviews are decent.

I've never heard of the company, but it looks like excellent value. I'd definitely go for that to start.
ACK!! Don't do it! They are terrible! I know from experience. You would do better tacking rubber bands to a cardboard box.

At least spend the 50 bucks and get one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/Lanikai-LU-21-Soprano-Ukulele/dp/B001EL6I8W
 They are way better, and are ten times easier to play than the rogue crapboxes!
Also, oh my God I could eat your family pets right now. GNNFFGH!!

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #198 on: July 27, 2010, 04:55:08 PM »

The reviews are decent.

ACK!! Don't do it! They are terrible! I know from experience. You would do better tacking rubber bands to a cardboard box.

At least spend the 50 bucks and get one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/Lanikai-LU-21-Soprano-Ukulele/dp/B001EL6I8W
 They are way better, and are ten times easier to play than the rogue crapboxes!

Yeah, I know Lanikai sound really good for this price. If you can, you should get this.
Anyway, you're just walking around with these teeth in your vagina and you think it's normal cos like, who do you ask about that shit? Then, one day you go to have sex with someone & they're all "WHY DOES YOUR VAGINA HAVE A TOOTH IN IT?" That'd be damn awkward.

Pliwood180

• Americana, tropicana
« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »

Question!

I can't really find the answer to this question, or the correct phrasing on google, ha.

When the chord I want to play has two strings pressed on the same fret, do I use one finger or two? And what if they're separated, especially? I'm having a lot of trouble with chords like that.

The King of Carrot Flowers

• 67 Indja Points
    • Surviving in a World of Stylish Peril
« Reply #200 on: July 30, 2010, 12:42:52 AM »

Question!

I can't really find the answer to this question, or the correct phrasing on google, ha.

When the chord I want to play has two strings pressed on the same fret, do I use one finger or two? And what if they're separated, especially? I'm having a lot of trouble with chords like that.
If they're together, it's usually easier to use one finger, unless you have particularly small digits.

If they're apart, you have to use two fingers UNLESS the string(s) separating them is/are depressed on (a) higher (pitch-wise) fret(s).

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #201 on: July 30, 2010, 11:04:06 AM »

Question!

If they're together, it's usually easier to use one finger, unless you have particularly small digits.

If they're apart, you have to use two fingers UNLESS the string(s) separating them is/are depressed on (a) higher (pitch-wise) fret(s).

You can do either but if you want to advance technique, holding down multiple strings with one finger makes sense. It means that the other fingers can do more. I.e. the above explanation will serve you better even if two strings held down by one finger does not feel easier.

Pliwood180

• Americana, tropicana
« Reply #202 on: July 31, 2010, 05:17:56 PM »

Excellent, thanks guys! I've been trying to transpose some songs to learn, but so far they've been pretty difficult. "Creep" is so easy that I just had to learn it first. Any suggestions on stupid-easy songs to learn? I really appreciate everyone's help.  :happy11:

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2010, 06:36:06 PM »

this should be called "Firewood Appreciation thread."  :)

#@!

Mette

« Reply #204 on: August 01, 2010, 02:50:14 AM »

Just wanted to stop by here and say that apparently my mom bought a ukulele the other day. Dad texted me and said "mom just bought a ukulele". Don't really know why she did buy one, but I won't complain.

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2010, 03:45:25 PM »

this should be called "Firewood Appreciation thread."  :)

#@!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZqaYmQZgrB4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZqaYmQZgrB4</a>

Rosebud

« Reply #206 on: March 05, 2011, 05:48:27 PM »

I am now the proud owner of a Lanikai ukulele named Rufus.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #207 on: March 06, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »

sapent the early hours of this morning sitting in Hornsey Library and singing along to everything from radiohead to abba being played on a uke ...this after watching Wings of Desire in the Library gallery at 4am....world book night was made of win
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #208 on: March 06, 2011, 01:08:12 PM »

I'm going to Hawaii in April, think that I could get a real working uke from there without being a stereotypical bullshit toy?
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #209 on: March 06, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »

I'm going to Hawaii in April, think that I could get a real working uke from there without being a stereotypical bullshit toy?

YES. Hawaiian music shops for the most should part should have decent ukes, but if here's a pretty comprehensive list of the uke shops in different parts of Hawaii: http://www.hawaiianmusichistory.com/ukulele/shops-hawaii.htm
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16  All   Go Up