THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ukulele Appreciation thread.  (Read 33596 times)

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
Re: Ukulele Appreciation thread.
« Reply #225 on: May 12, 2011, 10:29:52 PM »

I bought one two weeks ago and I feel so pro now! Hahaha, totally joking. My fingers did feel tender for the first four days but then afterward my fingers felt fine and now I can play a bunch of stuff. I'm slowly beginning to get more comfortable with chord switching. I wish I knew other positions besides the root positions, because when I play songs and I want it to be easier instead of jumping all over the place, I'd like to just easily transition the fingers. Nomsay?
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
  • "Fuck it. Life is short. Create hard."
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #226 on: May 13, 2011, 07:24:08 PM »

I know this is going to be annoying to hear, but the answer is just practice. Playing around with bar chords also helps sometimes but unless it's a particularly nice inversion of the chord, or there's certain effect to the chord progression that you trying to maintain - ie: ascending or descending chords, or sliding up or down a chord shape like on a guitar, esp in punk etc. - your often better off with an open version of the chord. Either way, keep playing around with sliding chords up and down, and you'll figure shit out.
Quote from: Captain Awkward
Anyway, you're just walking around with these teeth in your vagina and you think it's normal cos like, who do you ask about that shit? Then, one day you go to have sex with someone & they're all "WHY DOES YOUR VAGINA HAVE A TOOTH IN IT?" That'd be damn awkward.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #227 on: July 01, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »

i post this here because it is a thread about the mighty uke.

how badly does painting a ukelele (or any musical instrument, really) fuck up the sound?  i've been asked to paint a uke to look like a slab of granite....but it is a pretty high-end one, the finish is worn from playing though, and instead of a re-finish, they want a paint job.  but, before i ask someone for money to screw around with their instrument, i would like to know if anyone has any advice about how it might change the tone.

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #228 on: July 02, 2011, 10:57:01 AM »

I suppose it depends on a few factors. What size is it? It would probably do more harm on a soprano. What kind of paint would you be thinking of using? How thickly are you applying it? For any kind of finish you would want it as thin as possible, and paint isn't made to be vibrated though.

Another layer for the sound to vibrate through wouldn't be beneficial to the sound, though it's hard to say to what extent it would make a difference.

If the finish is worn, then if the paint is water-based it could soak through the wood? That could cause bad shit in terms of both sound and wood swelling, and hence cracking. I don't know much about what oil-based paints would do to it.

Also, if there playing style wore substantially through a veneer made to be hit against, how well do you think paint will last?

Overall, I'd be very reluctant to paint it.
Anyway, you're just walking around with these teeth in your vagina and you think it's normal cos like, who do you ask about that shit? Then, one day you go to have sex with someone & they're all "WHY DOES YOUR VAGINA HAVE A TOOTH IN IT?" That'd be damn awkward.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #229 on: July 02, 2011, 11:27:42 AM »

i post this here because it is a thread about the mighty uke.

how badly does painting a ukelele (or any musical instrument, really) fuck up the sound?  i've been asked to paint a uke to look like a slab of granite....but it is a pretty high-end one, the finish is worn from playing though, and instead of a re-finish, they want a paint job.  but, before i ask someone for money to screw around with their instrument, i would like to know if anyone has any advice about how it might change the tone.

as EP said, it can make a drastic difference depending on what kind of paint you use and how thickly it's applied. I know a couple of guitar players who ruined their acoustics tonally because they wanted to "get creative" with the visual aspect.

any good with an airbrush? it's your best option for minimal impact on tone. a friend of mine has done a few guitar paint jobs with really good results.

#@!

The Epigrammic Poultry

• Fast and bulbous.
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #230 on: July 02, 2011, 11:32:12 AM »

Yeah, I agree with Hugo about the airbrush; that sounds like your best option.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #231 on: July 02, 2011, 11:38:16 AM »

i'm decent enough with an airbrush.  actually i just bought one a week or two ago and it's been sitting there, i'm sure after a day or two of fooling with it i'll be fine.  it won't work for the effect the guy wants, though.

the granite, or any faux look to a paintjob is thick as hell.  it involves stippling and other monstrosities and paint goes on thick, and there is no sanding.  while i try to avoid oil-based paints on principle and expense and the fact that they are trying to take them off the market altogether, i don't know if latex can hold tight enough to an old clear-coat, either.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16]  All   Go Up