THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 [53]   Go Down

Author Topic: What you learned today.  (Read 89238 times)

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
Re: What you learned today.
« Reply #780 on: March 22, 2013, 05:10:35 AM »

an effemophobic douche-canoe

Awesome description. Two terms I have not heard before but fully intend to use at the earliest possible opportunity. :headbang:

You have my blessing ;)

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #781 on: March 28, 2013, 08:04:21 PM »

On March 28 in the year 193, the Praetorian Guards of the Roman Empire assassinated the emperor and sold off the empire to the highest bidder, who ruled for all of nine weeks, by which time no one liked him anymore and he was also assassinated.

This is why I love studying history xD

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #782 on: March 28, 2013, 10:46:17 PM »

On March 28 in the year 193, the Praetorian Guards of the Roman Empire assassinated the emperor and sold off the empire to the highest bidder, who ruled for all of nine weeks, by which time no one liked him anymore and he was also assassinated.

This is why I love studying history xD
From Wiki...
Pertinax (Latin: Publius Helvius Pertinax Augustus; 1 August 126 – 28 March 193) was Roman Emperor
for three months in 193. He is known as the first emperor of the tumultuous Year of the Five Emperors.
A high-ranking military and Senatorial figure, he tried to restore discipline in the Praetorian Guards,
whereupon they rebelled and killed him. Upon his death he was succeeded by Didius Julianus, whose
reign was similarly short..........

Amazingly, perhaps, my Handbook Of Roman Imperial Coins (I don't just talk the nerd talk,
I'm the real deal) lists TWENTY ONE distinct patterns of coin minted under/for Pertinax, but
even the pennies are quite rare and valued in the 4- to 5-figure range (Dollars, GBP or Euros).

So check your bags of Roman coins, you may be rich.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 [53]   Go Up