THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 15  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Correct Way to drink tea  (Read 41205 times)

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
Re: The Correct Way to drink tea
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2009, 12:59:06 PM »

Depends on the tea, foo' - if it's standard black tea, water should have literally just boiled - a lot of the active ingredients just don't develop under 90 degrees. Other teas, like green tea, should use water at about 80 degrees C.
BUT that 80C should be attained by boiling the water first, then allowing it to cool rather than only heating it to 80C. I've been doing my tea homework.

Good, young padawan. You will go far.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2009, 01:27:03 PM »

Depends on the tea, foo' - if it's standard black tea, water should have literally just boiled - a lot of the active ingredients just don't develop under 90 degrees. Other teas, like green tea, should use water at about 80 degrees C.
BUT that 80C should be attained by boiling the water first, then allowing it to cool rather than only heating it to 80C. I've been doing my tea homework.
Hmmmm...  I suppose, if a scientist were to compare the relative density of the impurities in the
water, it might be possible (at least theoretically) to detect the difference between water that's
cooled to a bit less than boiling and water that's been heated to almost boiling.

I promise the tea leaves can't tell though. 
(Still, it's easier to boil it all the way, then let it cool, than just try and guess whether it's hot enough yet...)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2009, 01:30:50 PM »

Hmmmm...  I suppose, if a scientist were to compare the relative density of the impurities in the
water, it might be possible (at least theoretically) to detect the difference between water that's
cooled to a bit less than boiling and water that's been heated to almost boiling.

(Still, it's easier to boil it all the way, then let it cool, than just try and guess whether it's hot enough yet...)

Ah, c'mon, Cee - it's less about whether or not it makes a real major difference to the tea, more about the feeling of Doing It Properly.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2009, 02:00:22 PM »

Ah, c'mon, Cee - it's less about whether or not it makes a real major difference to the tea, more about the feeling of Doing It Properly.
Spoken like a woman who conscientiously points her pinkie-finger. (Yes, I saw that pic...  Well done.)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2009, 10:06:32 PM »

it has been recently pointed out to me that i elevate my pinky when shifting gears or accelerating on my bike.

i am appropriately shamed, for it is true.

Tiervexx

« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2009, 12:47:06 AM »

It would seem that our Colonial friends stil think that Tea is some sort of sugar beverage to be drunk in a myriad of unneccesarily complex and artifical ways...............
please just try a nice cup of tea made with a decent kettle and some well chosen tea leaves

I hope you're not talking to me since the drink I'm addicted to just consists of black tea, non dairy creamer and sugar...

I'm going to experiment with how to create it sooner or later...

After one experiment I'm fairly certain that it is not sweetened with regular sugar.  Maybe honey?  I'll keep experimenting till I get it right.  Than I'll post a recipe.  It's awesome.  You all should try it once I figure it out.

stallionbreaker

• whose real name is Anna
  • Après moi le deluge
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2009, 09:42:37 AM »

Have you tried it without the sweetener yet? You said he told you it was just tea and creamer, and most creamers are pretty sweet themselves...

However, I'd recommend something that's not classified as "non-dairy creamer" because that shit is nas-tay. Corn syrup solids and hydrogenated soybean oil. Mmmmm. *vomits a little*

(p.s. and unrelatedly, what size is smaller than 1 in post code?)
you're obviously not gonna die,
so why not take your chances and try?

Tiervexx

« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2009, 03:19:49 PM »

Have you tried it without the sweetener yet? You said he told you it was just tea and creamer, and most creamers are pretty sweet themselves...

However, I'd recommend something that's not classified as "non-dairy creamer" because that shit is nas-tay. Corn syrup solids and hydrogenated soybean oil. Mmmmm. *vomits a little*

(p.s. and unrelatedly, what size is smaller than 1 in post code?)

add a "pt" after the number to get smaller sizes.  for example

*size=1pt*Text*/size* is the smallest you can get, just replace the * with [] obviously.

I think the creamer was right... It could be that I should not have added sugar at all... I will go there tonight and I'll just try asking...

stallionbreaker

• whose real name is Anna
  • Après moi le deluge
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2009, 08:41:42 AM »

Thanks.

Can't hurt to ask them. I hope you do figure it out, cos it's really nice to have your favorite things at home.
you're obviously not gonna die,
so why not take your chances and try?

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2009, 07:52:54 PM »

PLEASE ALL YOU TEA ENTHUSIASTS!!!!

WATCH THIS VIDEO
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/E60zbCrM-4Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/E60zbCrM-4Q</a>

Tiervexx

« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2009, 02:07:11 AM »

Thanks.

Can't hurt to ask them. I hope you do figure it out, cos it's really nice to have your favorite things at home.

I tried asking only to get conflicting answers.  One girl said she thought the tea came from a pre-made syrup.  I did some googling and came up with the following recipe that I enjoyed but is still not right for the drink I'm trying to reproduce:

1) Add 1.5 cups of milk and a little over one cup of water to a sauce pan than bring it to a boil.

2) add three black tea bags (or about 3 tsp), take off heat and let it steep for 5 minutes.

3) Remove tea and add 5 heaping tsp of sugar and stir.

4) put a lot of ice into a large cup than pour the tea into it.  The end result will be about half water and half milk.

Grim Tuesday

• The Pleonastic Rants of C.S. Daley
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2009, 10:37:43 AM »

who knew I was drinking tea wrong.
The voices in my head are rude!
http://www.csdaley.com

Kenny Wisdom

• Desire in a Bowl of Potatoes
  • Emmett does peace; his way.
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2009, 06:35:10 PM »

Every schoolboy knows tea must be made with boiling water.

You can't make a good cup of tea up Everest, yeti the coffee's not so bad.

(Unlike my pun).
http://www.diggers.org/overview.htm

A life played for keeps. Read it, dig it, man...

Laissez lire, et laissez danser; ces deux amusements ne feront jamais de mal au monde!!

Greg Nova wrote:
Harper tu n'es qu'un petit couillon!

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2009, 05:32:44 AM »

that was abominable!
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Tiervexx

« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2009, 05:15:55 PM »

Every schoolboy knows tea must be made with boiling water.

You can't make a good cup of tea up Everest, yeti the coffee's not so bad.

(Unlike my pun).

For black tea and teas made from black tea yes (which is most of what Europeans drink) but green and white should be brewed at 80 degrees C.

I've actually thought about buying a thermometer so I can get that right since my favorite tea that I can make myself is plain green.  Currently I just estimate it by turning off the heat and letting it cool for a minute before I add the tea and cover it.

I used to use boiling for green but I figured out that letting it cool a little first made a big difference in how bitter it was.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 15  All   Go Up