THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Correct Way to drink tea  (Read 40126 times)

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
Re: The Correct Way to drink tea
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2011, 02:32:01 PM »

i heard the indian boy mitten story eons ago, among others ...
yeah, i've tried to remember how it goes exactly so i can teach it to mr fetus (our budding grandchild's nickname) when the time of comprehension comes.  hearing it as a kid, even though i thought it was kinda silly at the time, meant i never failed to identify the leaves.  i've never heard any others, though.  feel free to relate them, if it pleases you.  i would love to hear em.

actually, i've been thinking about making a gardening/botany thread; we just moved to a property that formerly spent years as a woman's giant flower/herb/vegetable garden/farm, and the land here is incredibly fertile, and i know just about fuckall about planting.  the internet's been a big help, though.
Look around you for a nursery...

I visited a place called "Edible Landscaping" up near Charlottesville (not only well north of you, but
about 500' further above sea level, I think), and I was amazed to see what sorts of things will not
simply grow, but will thrive in our relatively chilly climate: tea, pomegranates, kiwi... to say nothing
of obvious (and fairly low-maintenance) things like black- blue- and raspberries, fruit trees....
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2011, 02:39:37 PM »

i heard the indian boy mitten story eons ago, among others ...
yeah, i've tried to remember how it goes exactly so i can teach it to mr fetus (our budding grandchild's nickname) when the time of comprehension comes.  hearing it as a kid, even though i thought it was kinda silly at the time, meant i never failed to identify the leaves.  i've never heard any others, though.  feel free to relate them, if it pleases you.  i would love to hear em.

actually, i've been thinking about making a gardening/botany thread; we just moved to a property that formerly spent years as a woman's giant flower/herb/vegetable garden/farm, and the land here is incredibly fertile, and i know just about fuckall about planting.  the internet's been a big help, though.
Look around you for a nursery...

I visited a place called "Edible Landscaping" up near Charlottesville (not only well north of you, but
about 500' further above sea level, I think), and I was amazed to see what sorts of things will not
simply grow, but will thrive in our relatively chilly climate: tea, pomegranates, kiwi... to say nothing
of obvious (and fairly low-maintenance) things like black- blue- and raspberries, fruit trees....
oh, alabama is great for land yield also..... things grow here without any help at all.  i found a yielding blackberry bush while untangling a mass of bush near the old clothes-drying hanging wire.  in fact i fell into it, because thorns have a way of affecting one's balance.  it wasn't fun, but blackberries are delicious.  and, there is a strawberry patch on the side of my house where they just never stopped growing; some are already the size of silver dollars.

i've got three nurseries within two miles of my house, as well as a lowe's garden center and a marvin's garden center (hooray for hardware stores).  also three thrift stores, and about nine restaurants.  the guy across the street has a huge piece of land, upon which he is growing vegetables, but has started putting in an orchard, and has promised to allow me to clone some of the trees when they get up for it, probably next year.  we've actually been trying to figure out why his vegetables failed, but we think it's because someone drove into his field and tore up his irrigation, so we put in a fence that would rip out the bottom of one's car if one tries to drive out there in future.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2011, 02:52:58 PM »

wild strawberries grow like weeds. :)

#@!

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2011, 02:56:52 PM »

wild strawberries grow like weeds. :)

#@!
lol true.  these are kinda big and fabulous to be typically wild, though.

oh; there is also a pecan tree here.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2011, 03:02:29 PM »

mmmm to both...more no-maintenance foods:  asparagus and onions.  there used to be a huge asylum not far from here, and about 100 years ago, the inmates used to help grow their own food. you used to be able to walk out into the property (the place was closed down in the late '80s/early '90s) a few times a year and harvest some.

some developer bought the property a few years ago, plowed all the goodness under, and put up some cheap-ass housing. :(

#@!

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2011, 03:09:37 PM »

yep, we've got shitloads of onion grass already.  i'm going to put in some real onjins, though, and some asparagus when i get a bit plowed up and dont have to start them in planters.  and i think i already have some garlic, i see some bulb grass that looks garlic-y, but it hasn't flowered yet, so it could be daffodils or something.  i forgot i also did some parsley and basil, and then i asked suzy to please stop buying me seeds for a minute.

got a chicken coop half built too. free eggses.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2011, 06:13:46 PM »

If you're thinking of planting cilantro or oregano, pull it all before it goes to seed, whether you use it or not. oregano has taken over a small patch of my best friend's lawn because she didn't pull it one year.

#@!

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2011, 06:47:57 PM »

If you're thinking of planting cilantro or oregano, pull it all before it goes to seed, whether you use it or not. oregano has taken over a small patch of my best friend's lawn because she didn't pull it one year.

#@!
A lot of herbs will do that...  Mint, oregano, basil... catnip...

Oh, and blackberries = natural barbed wire....  You'll get bloody, but it's worth it.

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2011, 11:06:55 PM »

gone and answered in a brand new thread

gardening thread.

dearest cletus, i havent started cilantro or the other thing you said, i don't think.  most of the herbs i did start are in a bucket though, till they start sprouting.  i know i have parsley.

cee----i have been caught in more than one blackberry bush in my life.  it's more funny than painful.  check with me again when i get the wasp's nests out of my shed.  i'll try to have video.

also, i managed to snag a root and some growth off my old wisteria tree in the old yard.  i saved some because it's one of the white ones, and you rarely see the color it is.  it's now storming and fucking up the new bed i laid, so some of the seeds might be gone.
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2011, 11:41:36 PM »

it's true, i fucked off without telling anybody.

BUTTTT, speaking of mint, i have been looking for some.  why does it grow by every kitchen door of every southern house built five hundred years ago or whatever, but i can't find a simple seed to save my life?  i'm not a huge fan of mint things but you can infuse sun tea or sweet tea with it, and it doesn't suck at all.

i'm trying to not drink soda, and tea is not really much better for me, but it's got more water in it than soda does.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2011, 12:12:08 AM »

Mint seeds?  I see 'em pretty much everywhere that sells any kind of seed... the grocery, hardware, home-center...

Hell, try the 7-11...

Last patch I dealt with had a couple varieties of spearmint, chocolate mint, and a bit
of pennyroyal (which I don't generally think of as mint, but of course it is...), but my
friends moved out of that house, so I don't see it so much...

Zephyr

• Shadows stuffed with organs
« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2011, 01:54:34 AM »

I just planted mint in my garden and I really hope it'll take over my entire garden because I love mint tea and then I can have as much of it as I want.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #177 on: April 12, 2011, 07:52:35 AM »

Mint seeds?  I see 'em pretty much everywhere that sells any kind of seed... the grocery, hardware, home-center...

Hell, try the 7-11...

Last patch I dealt with had a couple varieties of spearmint, chocolate mint, and a bit
of pennyroyal (which I don't generally think of as mint, but of course it is...), but my
friends moved out of that house, so I don't see it so much...
see, i'd think you'd find them anywhere.  i mean if a patch of the stuff can survive for a hundred years.....not that i have looked at more than like five stores or anything, and i can't just stroll up to some lil old lady's house and demand a patch of her sod.....

spearmint, not so much.  i just like the weak mint that grows so easily in rain gutter drip, and doesn't mind accidentally getting hit every so often with the weed-whacker by careless yard guys.  isn't pennyroyal used as a form of birth control?  i think in india, first?

if there is any way i can grow something anywhere near related to chocolate, i aim to find out right now.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: April 12, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »

Alas, the proper Theobroma cacao requires a true tropical climate...

Chocolate mint is definitely a mint, with a rather more rounded leaf than spearmint, and has a slight
hint of a flavour that one could, with a bit of effort, imagine to be similar to that of chocolate... 
...but it should grow nicely in your climate-range.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #179 on: April 13, 2011, 02:34:30 PM »

of course, a true tropical climate could easily be induced, for a whole lot of cash and trips to lowe's.

there is a chocolate exhibit at the nature museum in town.  it's not that impressive, no free samples or anything, but it's thorough.  i'd never be able to get a tree to the size the fake one they have.

i am disappoint, however, the gift shop didn't sell seeds anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15  All   Go Up