THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AFP's not camera shy and her YouTube and Vimeo channels are chock-full of eye candy to prove it. Content's added to both all the time, so be sure to subscribe!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 15  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Things that are intrinsically cool about where you live  (Read 31550 times)

TitsOnTheRadio

Re: Things that are intrinsically cool about where you live
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 09:51:37 AM »

Ok. Since Katherine went in deep:

We've got Tombstone, in which there is the Boothill Graveyard. Billy Clanton of the Clanton Gang (they were there before the Earps) is burried there, as well as a lot of others (there's a list there). Many famous gun fights occured in Tombstone, like the infamous OK Corral shootout. It's a really fun place to go and see "shoot outs" and it's only about an hour from Tucson.

We also have Old Tucson Studios. Revenge of the Nerds, at least one scene (the panty raid scene) was filmed on the U of A campus.

There's also Suguaro National Park, which amazes the hell out of me, not only because of the cacti, but that bikers and hikers are out peddling and hiking those mountains in the freakin' summer heat. Gates Pass is no joke. It's such a neat place. The valleys, as you look out in them, it's just so easy to picture dinosaur just kinda crusin' around.

Kitt Peak Observatory is also a neat place to go, as AZ is well known for it's amazing celestial views and lightenting storms.

There's 4 wheeling, and rock crawling, mountain lakes (cold ass water), just all kinds of things for people who just enjoy nature, and being outside. We even have Mt. Lemon, yes, you can snow ski in Southwest Arizona. (Although I don't think the "season" even starts until January, long after all other parks have their trails open, but still.)

So. There you have it. I'm sure there's a lot that I've not mentioned/don't know about, but that's a start.
Confucious says: Panties not best thing on earth, but next to it.

scarletdulcinea

• Destroyer of Knights
    • words.
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 11:26:45 AM »

Yeah dead famous people!  Emily Dickinson lived in Amherst, and her homestead is a big attraction.  I've been cliche and visited her grave when I've had writer's block.  Some of the townies have taken to dubbing my spring/fall-weather statue character "The Ghost Of Emily," though that's off, because Emily's known for staying housebound and wearing nothing but white.  Ah well.

Robert Frost was born here and lived here, as was poet Robert Francis, and Noah Webster [as in, Webster's dictionary].  Uma Thurman [whom I worship for her portrayal of The Bride] was born and raised in Amherst, as was Augusten Burroughs, author of Running With Scissors ["the Finch's" house is in NoHo, his mom and dad lived in Amherst, and his father was a professor at UMass].  We also currently have James Tate, a famous contemporary poet, who is also a professor at my university, and, the extremely well-known Martin Espada who has been dubbed "the Pablo Neruda of North America" for his work, and teaches at my university, and will be my professor for the second time this coming semester [I took a seminar on Neruda with him last semester, and this semester it's a course called Poetry Of The Political Imagination]... I am very, very lucky to be able to work with a figure such as himself.  Also, he adores me.  Katherine for the win.

Ironically, "Amherst" is named after Lord Jeffrey Amherst, who committed the first conscious act of germ warfare on this continent: he purposely gave diseased blankets to the natives, in order to wipe them out.  It feels like all the super-liberal hyper-conscious activists which rule this area now are subconsciously trying to have their actions balance that fact.
I reach to touch a lover with the confidence
of a child burying into a breast;
a tangible connection but also the perfume
or stench that is language. Ah,
the irregular verbs. Oh, the conditional.

scarletdulcinea

• Destroyer of Knights
    • words.
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 11:30:25 AM »

Detroit music. :headbang:
Detroit women. :love5:
Detroit attitude. 8)
The glimmer of outright fear in people from other places when you're traveling and meeting people and then telling them you're from Detroit. :glasses9:

There's more, but that'll do for now. Gotta leave some things for freakystyley.

plur

is what I'm talkin' about.

Drizz

• Her Vagesty, Our Lady of Perpetual Tardiness
  • Nappy-Headed Ho
    • Mah MySpace
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 11:36:54 AM »

Who is that?
Quote from: Pillowz R Kool
Quote from: Chay
i read somewhere that masturbating during your period can actually help with cramps
And you can finger paint after.

scarletdulcinea

• Destroyer of Knights
    • words.
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 11:46:45 AM »

Designer Jeffrey Sebelia.  Whom I'm obsessed with.  He hails from Detroit.  He named his son Harrison Detroit, and then tattooed it on his neck along with "the love of my life" in Italian.

Cathal

• is quite obviously a
  • Ha! I've seen it.
    • My Space
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 04:09:20 PM »

Okay, my town has the second longest town green in New England. (Exciting, right?)

We have an AWESOME gorge in the middle of downtown, where the harbour meets a river, and there's a waterfall and rocks and it's pretty.

We have the International Headquarters of Subway, Inc. (Yes, the restaurants) and downtown is the first ever Subway.

We have Dunkin' Donuts on every streetcorner. I'm not even kidding, there are like 25.

And across the street, where my elementary school still stands, there is a swamp. They call it Calf Pen Meadow, because when the British were spotted during the Revolution from a house on top of the hill up the street, all the people living there hid their cows in the swamp, so the British wouldn't take them.

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
-Douglas Adams

~~~
Brigg Bait ------'--@

danaXXanachronism

• DO YOU LIKE WAFFLES?!
  • ew i look like my mother...
    • myspasheeeeeeeee.
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 04:12:06 PM »

i do not live very far from NYC.
a lot of good music starts from here.
ben franklin named a street in my town and named/went to my old middle school.

and thats all i can think of...

Paul

• ...has his baleful eye on you
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 04:13:32 PM »

I live in London.

Its coolness cannot be quantified or put into words.
The Baleful Eye has spoken..................

danaXXanachronism

• DO YOU LIKE WAFFLES?!
  • ew i look like my mother...
    • myspasheeeeeeeee.
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 04:14:32 PM »

I live in London.

Its coolness cannot be quantifies or put into words.

lucky mofockaaaa.

also about where i come from, the dolls/amanda play a lot of shows around here which is highly beneficial.
and there are a lot of concert venues.

Drizz

• Her Vagesty, Our Lady of Perpetual Tardiness
  • Nappy-Headed Ho
    • Mah MySpace
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 04:23:29 PM »

I live in London.

:'(

Rub it in, ya jerk!  heeehahahaa. 

Have you lived there all your life?  I think I've asked you this, but I'm not sure.
Quote from: Pillowz R Kool
Quote from: Chay
i read somewhere that masturbating during your period can actually help with cramps
And you can finger paint after.

Paul

• ...has his baleful eye on you
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 04:27:58 PM »

I live in London.

:'(

Rub it in, ya jerk!  heeehahahaa. 

Have you lived there all your life?  I think I've asked you this, but I'm not sure.

To rub it in further.....

I have lived in London for just under four years. Before then I spent four years in Manchester and a year in Paris.
The Baleful Eye has spoken..................

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
  • Don't shootshootshoot that thing at me!
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 04:41:28 PM »

Detroit music. :headbang:
Detroit women. :love5:
Detroit attitude. 8)
The glimmer of outright fear in people from other places when you're traveling and meeting people and then telling them you're from Detroit. :glasses9:

There's more, but that'll do for now. Gotta leave some things for freakystyley.

plur

Whattta pal.  O0

Music? check
Attitude? check
Fear? check check
There's not a lot of things that I don't love about Detroit. I love the wind tunnels that form downtown during the winter. I love riding the skanky-ass People Mover. I love the old buildings. I especially love the Train Station, even though it looks rather forlorn and solemn with it's busted out windows and rain stained walls. I love Joe Louis and The Fox, and the history of the city.

I don't even know how to explain it all, I just love Detroit.
Quote from: armyoflarry
Sweet!!! Ummm, I mean that fills my soul with Northern Darkness of Frostbitten Empires and stuff.

mag

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 05:28:34 PM »

The constant, mildly amusing Geico commercials I always hear on the radio. 

JennieJ

• I'm Alice, damn it!
    • Myspace whore
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 05:49:38 PM »

Weeeelllll... I have to say that I do not currently live in my favorite place.. NJ kinda sucks in many ways, not the least of which is that I am at least a 4 hour drive (up to 8 ) from anyone in my immediate family. Still there are a handful of things that are cool.
1. 45 minutes to Philly (some call this a minus)
2. an hour to NYC (I would still be there if I had all the money in the world)
3. My house is pretty fucking cool. Home ownership rules.
4. Close to the ocean.. I myself am not a fan, but it's kinda cool
5. Several major airports within a reasonable commute
6. A lot of cool history happened here
7. The weather is not bad. Still have seasons, but winter isn't ridiculous - I pretty much hate snow.
8. It's very green. Plants seem to like the weather too. 

I guess that's about it. I'd rather be in any number of places to be honest, but hubby has a job here, and we have a cute little house in a cute little neighborhood that is walking distance from "the hood". What more can ya ask for?

Shawn

• Optimistic Pessimist
  • The Guy With The Blue Avatar
    • The Star Chamber
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 06:00:24 PM »

Speaking about what's in the city itself, Niagara Falls. Oh, and hydroelectric power, and a couple of rather good spots for UE (urban exploration). In the general area, good fishing, which I'm not really interested in, excellent beer, which isn't my thing, either, a thriving art and music scene, the Buffalo Sabres, nice historical sites, such as Fort Niagara, and many, many sites conducive to UE.

I could also list a bunch of good restaurants, as well, but they should be in a category unto themselves. Despite the continuing economic depression in WNY, there are still many positives.
What is a rebel? A man who says no. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 15  All   Go Up