THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 15  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Things that are intrinsically cool about where you live  (Read 31546 times)

JennieJ

• I'm Alice, damn it!
    • Myspace whore
Re: Things that are intrinsically cool about where you live
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2007, 06:45:34 PM »

Speaking about what's in the city itself, Niagara Falls. Oh, and hydroelectric power, and a couple of rather good spots for UE (urban exploration). In the general area, good fishing, which I'm not really interested in, excellent beer, which isn't my thing, either, a thriving art and music scene, the Buffalo Sabres, nice historical sites, such as Fort Niagara, and many, many sites conducive to UE.

I could also list a bunch of good restaurants, as well, but they should be in a category unto themselves. Despite the continuing economic depression in WNY, there are still many positives.
You're in Buffalo???! We lived there for several years before we got married. Still have really good friends in the Kenmore area, and my mother in-law lives in Angola. Oh, and the windmills.. ROCK.

Shawn

• Optimistic Pessimist
  • The Guy With The Blue Avatar
    • The Star Chamber
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2007, 04:39:40 PM »

Speaking about what's in the city itself, Niagara Falls. Oh, and hydroelectric power, and a couple of rather good spots for UE (urban exploration). In the general area, good fishing, which I'm not really interested in, excellent beer, which isn't my thing, either, a thriving art and music scene, the Buffalo Sabres, nice historical sites, such as Fort Niagara, and many, many sites conducive to UE.

I could also list a bunch of good restaurants, as well, but they should be in a category unto themselves. Despite the continuing economic depression in WNY, there are still many positives.
You're in Buffalo???! We lived there for several years before we got married. Still have really good friends in the Kenmore area, and my mother in-law lives in Angola. Oh, and the windmills.. ROCK.

Heh, Niagara Falls, but Buffalo is just a short jaunt away. Which windmills are you referring to?
What is a rebel? A man who says no. - Albert Camus

JennieJ

• I'm Alice, damn it!
    • Myspace whore
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2007, 06:08:01 PM »

Heh, Niagara Falls, but Buffalo is just a short jaunt away. Which windmills are you referring to?

You can see them along route 5 near the General Mills plant. Huge white things. Very nifty.

The King of Carrot Flowers

• 67 Indja Points
    • Surviving in a World of Stylish Peril
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2007, 06:10:31 PM »

My state (New Hampshire) holds the first general election every four years, bitches.

Shawn

• Optimistic Pessimist
    • The Star Chamber
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2007, 06:13:07 PM »

You can see them along route 5 near the General Mills plant. Huge white things. Very nifty.

You wouldn't happen to be speaking of the wind farm that is being erected on the site of Bethlehem Steel, would you?

JennieJ

• I'm Alice, damn it!
    • Myspace whore
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2007, 06:24:38 PM »

You wouldn't happen to be speaking of the wind farm that is being erected on the site of Bethlehem Steel, would you?
YEP! That would be the one. EXTREMELY COOL. Saw it for the first time last month.

Shawn

• Optimistic Pessimist
    • The Star Chamber
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2007, 07:07:56 PM »

YEP! That would be the one. EXTREMELY COOL. Saw it for the first time last month.

I had the opportunity to see it in late July, but from somewhat closer than you probably did... ^-^

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2007, 02:13:04 PM »

Shawn can probably relate to this, since it applies to Buffalo as well. It's cool as fuck to live in an international border city, especially when your foreign neighbor is one of the best countries ever (welcome back, malcontent!). :glasses9:

plur

smudge

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2007, 02:24:52 PM »

I really cant think of anything nice to say about where i live...oh wait, the main street is quite pretty if you drive through it fast!

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2007, 04:55:29 PM »

1) I live very close to the borderline of Scarborough and North York. I just walk up my street til I hit Victoria Park and then I'm in Scarborough but if I walk back a few steps I'm in North York. It's really cool.

2) From my apartments balcony there is this very beautiful winding road. Well it's more like a backward 'S' shape. I'll show a picture one day. Or later on.

3) I live only 10 minutes away from the best art school in the world yo. A 10-minute walk but because I'm such a fuckin lazy ass I take the bus which is like a 5 minute bus ride plus me J-walking across the street across the field and into the school which is a 3-minute walk. So I save 2 minutes.

4) It is a half hour bus/subway ride to Downtown.

There's not much more I can think of. I guess for my mother we live 5-minutes away from the mall where they have a gym and she goes there to work out while I stay at home and do 30-minute cardio crap with a machine.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Liz

• breaking glass
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2007, 06:45:57 PM »

My city has a 'renaissance' and now pretends to be a little European. Despite how much the city fails....I find it endearing. We have waterfire..with gondalas...little fires lit in the water..and oodles of street performers. We have federal hill which is our version of little italy...with an fake italian piazza included

this is fantastically awful

also

also, I like that I don't drive and get around the city incredibly easily..and it's about an hour from boston..and less than 4 from new york.
drawsomethingawful.com
twitter.com/LizGrammaticas

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2007, 07:36:11 PM »

cool fire on water with gondalas. that is sick.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
  • Don't shootshootshoot that thing at me!
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2007, 10:01:06 PM »

The homeless are also quite entertaining, aren't they, Oscar?
Quote from: armyoflarry
Sweet!!! Ummm, I mean that fills my soul with Northern Darkness of Frostbitten Empires and stuff.

fairytalevegas

• FairytaleVegas.com
  • Party on the Intern!?
    • My Photography Website
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2007, 10:08:30 PM »

Okay, the town my school is in is actually kinda cool. I go to the same school and and am in the same video program as the ever so lovely Pixie of PixieVisionProductions.com. That's pretty cool.

And I'm 5 hours from Boston, 1 from the city, 1.5 from Philly. So I'm right smack dab in the middle of everything.

And Kevin Smith.

Quote from: gargantuan
Quote from: Cheddars Cousin
MASS KISSED A BOY! :o
GARGANTUAN KISSED A GIRL! :O haha!

lunazuga

• Isn't really a
  • formerly citrusandlimes
    • dA
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2007, 10:15:47 PM »

MASS, i lived near you, very near you actually, once upon a time. but now i reside in baltimore  :headbang:

and before you all start saying "baltimore is scaaaary" let me say this: it's fucking awesome.

my school is pretty damn awesome. it's art school. i make art. and turn it in for a grade. i cannot think of a better way of life.
i fucking love my roomate to death.
the inner harbor is pretty, but a bit too touristy for my tastes.
hampden, fells point!!!! best areas of this town, loads of indie shops
art is EVERYEWHERE, thanks to the college
and, it's a city, man. so much cooler than the suburbs. now i don't have to say, "oh, i live a half hour from the city." because i am in a city. and nothing could be better. (well, if the dolls came down here a little more often, i guess that could be better. but i have friends in boston, so i'll probably visit all you northerners when i scrounge up the bucks for the train)
I'm afraid that if you look at a thing long enough, it looses all its meaning--Warhol
Don't push that cartridge inside me, 'cause I'll push back--just wait and see.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 15  All   Go Up