THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 15  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Things that are intrinsically cool about where you live  (Read 34609 times)

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
Re: Things that are intrinsically cool about where you live
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2007, 12:47:53 AM »

*bump*

Attention: Detroit-area/southern Ontario/NW Ohio members & lurkers!

The multi-million $ renovation and expansion of the Detroit Institute of Arts is complete and, now that it's past midnight local time...TODAY is opening day! :) :) :) :coolsmiley:

They're opening the doors for 34 straight hours beginning at noon today and ending at 10 PM Saturday night, so, if you ever really wanted to spend the night at the museum, here's your chance. Who knows - if you're strolling through about 24 hours from now...you might just see me.

Not that I'm going to tell you who I am or any stupid shit like that. ;D ;D :-X :glasses9:

plur

Jarboe

• Enlightened, highly-refined, pseudo-intellectualism. Overnight delivery available.
  • I shouldn't bother, he's eight miles high.
    • Too Many Feelings
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2007, 01:07:47 AM »

That building next the children's museum in the shape of a milk bottle. It's currently functioning as an Au Bon Pain and is across the street from another, more obvious Au Bon Pain (what the hell?).

Ever since I was a kid I've been a brooding basket case.

Quote from: friezens
i remember when i was 13 i used to play with matchbox cars and i had to be home by 23pm, today, they have butt sex with strangers at age 13.

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2007, 01:12:24 AM »

That building next the children's museum in the shape of a milk bottle. It's currently functioning as an Au Bon Pain and is across the street from another, more obvious Au Bon Pain (what the hell?).

When I lived in the longwood galleria we had a au bon pan downstairs, one across the street, as well as one less then a black away at the brigaham, they are about as crazy as dunkin donuts
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

T K

• not a kid anymore
  • Global Moderator
  • Brother, my cup is empty
    • Twilite
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2007, 01:25:32 AM »

I used to walk by that every day on my way to work from the eight dollar parking lot around the corner. Breakfast was alway at the Finagle a Bagel nearby.

The job was across the river in the buliding next to where the Tea Party was, Did they ever fix that broken down landmark? It was in pretty bad shape in those days.

I miss those days.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2007, 11:51:27 PM »

Gee Tim...  Perhaps you recall:

To those who may not be familiar with the structure: it used to be, well, The Richmond Dairy.
Now it's overpriced apartments, but they kept a decor that highlights the bottle-shapes that
make up parts of the structure.  Yes, people live IN the bottles.

Also, it's right across the street from a cool artspace/venue called Gallery 5.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2007, 03:40:32 AM »

west hollywood has the prettiest trannies.

and we now have electric billboards. but who knows, i think other cities like New York might have them now. so poop.

scarletdulcinea

• Destroyer of Knights
    • words.
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2007, 09:33:01 AM »

NYC has had them for a while now.
I reach to touch a lover with the confidence
of a child burying into a breast;
a tangible connection but also the perfume
or stench that is language. Ah,
the irregular verbs. Oh, the conditional.

mäire

• I don't suppose you have seen any ent wifes?
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2007, 07:34:08 PM »

i have cows. farms. amish people. way cool, i know.

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
  • Don't shootshootshoot that thing at me!
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2007, 08:14:34 PM »

*bump*

The multi-million $ renovation and expansion of the Detroit Institute of Arts is complete and, now that it's past midnight local time...TODAY is opening day! :) :) :) :coolsmiley:

They're opening the doors for 34 straight hours beginning at noon today and ending at 10 PM Saturday night, so, if you ever really wanted to spend the night at the museum, here's your chance. Who knows - if you're strolling through about 24 hours from now...you might just see me.

Not that I'm going to tell you who I am or any stupid shit like that. ;D ;D :-X :glasses9:

plur

I've been told that there is even a bust of Augustus and a statue of Vaenus Genetrix in the Ancient History courtyard, but the Islamic room is MIA.

Thoughts?
Quote from: armyoflarry
Sweet!!! Ummm, I mean that fills my soul with Northern Darkness of Frostbitten Empires and stuff.

Paul

• ...has his baleful eye on you
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2007, 08:26:20 PM »

The speed of my mobile phone internet connection where I live.... so fast that I get to watch live TV (SKY Sports) on my phone.
The Baleful Eye has spoken..................

T K

• not a kid anymore
  • Global Moderator
  • Brother, my cup is empty
    • Twilite
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2007, 08:40:12 PM »

They build these in my backyard:

Cait.Beck!

• Silenceinmygrapevine
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2007, 09:46:14 PM »

George Washington and that Marquis de Lafayette character camped in my backyard during the revolution 300 years ago? they built a headquarters, its down my street.
when I was younger, after it rained i would go out and dig for stuff they left behind. Ive found a ton of bottles and buttons. at the headquarters i found teeth and other such medical things.
Every year they do a reenactment of what it would have been like when they were here (: right on my street
they also do the reenactment of Georgie crossing the Delaware every Christmas its fun I know some of the guys who take part in it

I live in the woods, in a neighborhood that is a circle, surrounded by woods. I have a creek/ river in my back yard. When i was younger it used to be a different magical world to me

I'm surrounded by nature parks, and perserves and lakes and parks of the type.. its beautiful...

Across the creek is a church that was part of the underground railroad. It has a nice belltower and they ring them in the spring, it's nice. Once the spring comes lilies and daisies bloom on the hillside by the creek and the geese come and nest.
because of the church there is a graveyard across the street (: there is an Indian princess buried there

There is a railroad right down the road. It used to be used for transporting steel and what not back in the day of industrialization. It still is used for freight at night

Indians used to live here, back in the day before we did. every middle school here is named after a tribe. every elementry school is named after a founder of the county or town and the highschools are directions.

10 miles up the road in New Hope is a mule barge, and the Delaware canal. back in the day mules used to carry the boats up river to reach the river so they could reach the other river and flow through to deliever stuff.

Old York Road runs right by my house, it's now a highway but was a road that lead from New York to DC. It runs through Philly. People used to travel it on horseback to get around a billion years ago. Because of this there are tons of historical halfway houses around here where they would stop and hitch up their carriages from the night

new hope is the second or third gay capitol (in the us?) after provincetown. Its a really beautiful area and it has tons of theatre and shopping
dtown is 5 miles up the road, also a shopping place. Its our local scene. Tons of bands come through on their way to Philly and play sometimes, its cool. Its has some history about it too.
the area is pretty haunted because of it's age..
In dtown (doylestown) there is a castle, called font hill and Moravian tile works. Henry mercer lived there, he collected tile from all over the world and built it then he made his own factory, font hill, and made his own tile. its sick, also haunted. he has another castle building down the street that he built as an attic.
He was friend with Pearl S. Buck, who was an author ( I live in BUCKS county ;D)
Mercer apparently wrote some famous musical or play which i forget right now..

levittown, is close, built by.. someone levitt, back when they had steeltowns and American dreams. the houses are cookiecutter, the whole town looks the same. it's kinda a dead/poor area now..shock.

Bethlehem has musikfest every year, tons of people come in and play and litter the streets in all types of music. It's pretty sick.

My area is or was rather, all farming. we have tons of cows even though its really developed. its like suburban bliss. completely developed but some pockets of kickass farmage. I'm right outside of Amish land. its exciting

There is tons of shopping, like famous shopping districts, new hope, doylestown, hatboro, peddlers village..

I'm a 20 minutes drive from about 10 malls

Tons of famous people come to visit here and live here. its pretty cool
peter jackson is here filming a movie and stephen spielburg or George Lucas was here just the other day, flown in to one of the highschools.
and the m night shamalyan dude lives here and filmed the villiage, Mel Gibson filmed signs here.. so on.. so forth.

there is the state penitentiary (abandoned now I believe) they do a kick ass halloween thing there every year, have to sign waivers in case you die. apparently it's haunted

I'm an hour away from sixflags, hershey and dorney park ;D
Tons of colleges in Philly
and I'm surrounded by cities within a days drive
(that means a TON of concerts for me)

the German society is down the road, they have a polish and German festival every year
on that note
The shrine of Czestochowa is up the road, they have a huge polish festival.

They built a castle in doylestown, next to the park where they have Oktoberfest and pumpkinfest every year. The castle is a giant playground for children and it used to be the largest twirly slide in the..country or world. then we got outbuilt ):

we have tons of deer and geese... its a problem. the people are generally unfriendly and stuck up. The average people here are overlooked due to for the most part, people here are either really filthy stinkin rich or pretty goddamn poor.

3 mile island, a power and chemical plant is just a short drive. as is bam margeras house.

I'm sure there are more things I'm forgetting but.. Damn. Thats long
I didn't think this place was that cool..
I exist as I am, That is enough.
Goodness found after digging up my profile in the old box:
Quote from: dangahdangah
Quote from: preferpencil
In conclusion, the clitoris is mysterious. TRY to ask the clitoris. Ask the clit and it will talk back.
does it really talk? :o

AccidentWaiting

« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2007, 10:01:13 PM »

last year we encountered a mid-april snow that stuck...I might have to start heading south...
Also there are lots of lakes...I live six blocks away from one. And then there are two connecting lakes that are only a couple miles each from my house. Funny thing is I hate lakes.....I don't like swimming and they are filled with god only knows what.....

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2007, 12:25:19 AM »

i have cows. farms. amish people. way cool, i know.
I think Dangerpants has all that too...  and a chocolate factory nearby.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2007, 12:50:44 AM »

*bump*

plur

I've been told that there is even a bust of Augustus and a statue of Vaenus Genetrix in the Ancient History courtyard, but the Islamic room is MIA.

Thoughts?

I hope the Islamic/Middle eastern display isn't gone for good; some beautiful stuff there. Didn't make it down there last weekend, but I should relatively soon. Their collection is vast; they're always rotating things in and out on a fairly regular basis.

plur
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 15  All   Go Up