THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Aliens  (Read 7954 times)

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
Aliens
« on: October 01, 2009, 05:20:38 PM »

I searched and there was an alien discussion from like 2 years ago, so I thought I'd just make a new one.

I got an assignment in university involving alien abduction, and I really wanted to hear your views on it. Are you a believer or a skeptic?
Discuss!
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
Re: Aliens
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 05:37:52 PM »

I believe that people have real experiences that are outside of normal everyday experience....I do not believe that these are to do with beings from another planet.....I suspect that we tend to clothe paranormal ( in the true sense) experiences in references we can understand... 300 years ago these were Faerie abductions and their similarities to extraordinary experiences throughout history and all over the planet should not be ignored.... I have seen ghosts and Ufos... I know they exist, I simply cannot explain what they actually were and try not to put any predisposed belief into my explanations.....

From a purely practical point of view... a truly alien civilsation would not actually be able to exist in our planets atmosphere
and would almost certainly not behave in ways that seem so human.

we always look at reality through the dimmed glass of our own subjectivity and I would not wish to deny people the fact that their experiences happened..... simply to warn them that to assume the experience was a purely physical extra-terrestrial entity is as absurd as describing the wave of Ufos that flew over Washington many years ago, as being the product of march gas, the planet Venus and bioluminescent geese! ( these were all official explanations for a phenomena that was witnessed by thousands and showed up on radar)
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 06:43:17 PM »

Is there intelligent life "out there"?

Well, first, define "intelligent", then maybe "life" while you're at it....

Second, I think statistical probablilty says there almost certainly is.

Has anyone from "out there" come to visit us "in here"?  Um, dunno.  I've never met one,
that I know of.  I suspect Raliel's on the right track.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 06:47:22 PM »

Oh I firmly believe that extra terrestrial life exists.... i just think it highly unlikely that anything we have experienced is much to do with it.

@raliel

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 06:58:44 PM »

double postyness! I should point out that I beleive in ghosts, aliens, faeries, ufos etc......
in the same way i believe in tables.......I know they exist but do not try to deify them through making deeply personal assumptions about what they actually are

@raliel

Paul Jon

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 05:15:27 PM »

Near-total disbelief. Alien abductions only began when people starting seeing sci-fi movies.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 02:34:33 AM »

Near-total disbelief. Alien abductions only began when people starting seeing sci-fi movies.
not actually true, there were reports that follow the alien abduction scenario that date back well into the 1800's in the U.S. and one could argue that the massive amount of Faerie Abductions/Djinn encounters experienced throughout the world for centuries also follow the same template, just described by people without recourse to the alien abduction template

@raliel

Tiervexx

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 12:46:21 AM »

Like CeeGBee said it is VERY likely that aliens exist but I'm much less than convinced that they have ever come here.

I don't doubt that people believe they have seen them.  I don't think people claiming those stories are always making it up but I do think it might be the result of hallucinations.  My own experience on the subject is that anti-psychotic medication greatly reduces your ability to see ghosts and aliens.

double postyness! I should point out that I beleive in ghosts, aliens, faeries, ufos etc......
in the same way i believe in tables.......I know they exist but do not try to deify them through making deeply personal assumptions about what they actually are

I've not heard of people seeing faeries before.  Please tell me about what you think of them and what you've seen.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 02:40:41 AM »

Like CeeGBee said it is VERY likely that aliens exist but I'm much less than convinced that they have ever come here.

I don't doubt that people believe they have seen them.  I don't think people claiming those stories are always making it up but I do think it might be the result of hallucinations.  My own experience on the subject is that anti-psychotic medication greatly reduces your ability to see ghosts and aliens.

I've not heard of people seeing faeries before.  Please tell me about what you think of them and what you've seen.
really? loads of people see them all the time in England and Europe.....kind of diificault to describe and often come under the same bracket as ghosts in that you see something that appears completretly real and solid but also appears to be a trick of the light/ a negative shadow / a moving light at the same time...kind of a duality to perception.... hearing laughter feeling things pull and push at you.... things watching you from the hedgerows a glimpse of something truly ....Other

@raliel

MeAndMyCharms

• Apologizing in advance
  • you don't Nomi
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 08:49:38 AM »

Unless somebody can absolutely prove to me that something doesn't exist, there will always be some part of me that believes. Even if it is just a little bit..
riding the cotton camel

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 03:29:47 PM »

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence...   [trufact]
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Shanneeen

• just as long as you were on my side
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 04:28:43 PM »

well in my opinion.. it would be kind of selfish to think that we're the only ones floating around out here. don't you think?

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 04:31:59 PM »

Usual scepticism from me I’m afraid, at least with abductions. Other life in the universe is statistically probable though. As ever with weird things like this, you can’t entirely rule it out, but the alternative explanations seem more plausible – which is to say that there are just too many ways for human perception to get things wrong.

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/sine-wave-speech/

A nice demonstration of one of the ways our brain fills in the blanks with our expectations. Similar things happen visually too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

If it makes sense for us to believe we have experienced something, we believe it. If alien abduction makes sense to you, you’ll fill in the gaps  with that and believe it.

Colon closed bracket : )

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 05:51:51 PM »

Intelligent life out there? hell- there isn't any intelligent life down here!

#@!

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 06:37:30 AM »

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?Tutu-wearing_alien_spotted_in_Winchester&in_article_id=747688&in_page_id=2

this made me chuckle.... is he not aware of the local art college?

Btw I can be seen wandering around london in 18th century clothes.....does this make me a ghost?

@raliel
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up