THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: AFP in BOSTON this SUNDAY (oct 18): in a DAVID-LYNCH THEATER BAR within a PLAY.  (Read 16401 times)

Amanda Palmer

• NAMASTE MOTHERFUCKER
  • Global Moderator

(going to wait a few minutes before posting this on twitter - GO!!!!)

last week, i had an experience that i REALLY LOVED.

i went into a huge 4-story schoolhouse that was filled with art, actors, story and confusion.
to call it a "play" would do it a disservice. to call it an "art installation" isn't quite right either.

whatever it is, it's theater, but it is not an ordinary piece of theater by a LONG SHOT.
what i know: a london company called PunchDrunk was invited over to Boston by the American Repertory Theater to create a site-specific piece.
they took over this huge unused old school building (must be at least 40 rooms) in brookline and made a show called "Sleep No More".

link to the show: http://www.americanrepertorytheater.org/events/show/sleep-no-more

imagine "the shining" meets "macbeth" meets "twin peaks".

here are some stills:

you don't sit and watch actors. you wander around the space, alone (and wearing a mask) and you create your own experience.
actors come and go, events unfold. you can follow actors if you wish (they generally ignore you, but they will make contact occasionally),
or you can sit alone in a beautiful room filled with christmas trees until someone walks by you.
you can discover rooms nobody else is in and rifle through dusty papers and books.
there are rooms in asylums filled with bathtubs. there are fully landscaped gardens, there are rooms filled with dirt.
there is full nudity. there are lots of tuxedos and ballgowns. there is insanity. there is sexiness.
there is murder. there are moments where everyone winds up together and moments where you can watch the most intimate scenes play out between characters.

it's a totally choose-your-own adventure kind of theater, my favorite kind, done so well that you feel like you're living in a perfectly constructed nightmare/dream from 1929 for a few hours.

in short: it's AMAZING and EVERYTHING I LOVE ABOUT THEATER. it's completely beautiful, crazed, sad, ballsy, challenging and real.

here's a link to a slideshow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOmQjrCD0_M

within the show, there is a david-lynch-like bar called "the maderley" that serves as a sort of escape-hatch/middle-ground where you can
go get drinks, sit down, eat food, and watch a retro jazz band  (with singers in evening gowns and HAIR! the HAIR!) from 1929 play standards.

i loved the show so much that i asked the ART if i could grab a discount for fans and do a flash-gig in their bar.

they said yes.
so here we go:

this sunday, oct 18th, i am inviting y'all to come experience this show with me, and then we'll hang in the bar afterwards and i'll play piano
(and maybe do some jazz tunes with the house band, who knows).

there are ONLY 100 discounted tickets on hold for us (the audience is limited to 300).

the discounted tickets are $28.50 (it's $5 off the regular price, but hey, you get a free amanda palmer show too)
and you need to enter the discount code "amanda" when you purchase them.
the tickets are up HERE:

http://www.americanrepertorytheater.org/events/show/sleep-no-more

the show starts at 7 pm, and you can also buy tickets to enter at 7:20 and 7:40 (it's a staggered entrance into the same space).
it's in brookline a few blocks from the brookline village stop of the green line.

all ages. cash bar.

if you want to dine beforehand, there's a cute italian restaurant down the street called "la morra" i'd recommend.

you MUST have tickets to the show to enter the manderley bar, where i'll be playing.
i'll be on at around 10 or so, and play for a while. the bar has to shut down at 12 midnight.

i'll see you there, i hope.

bring your finest 1929 clothes and a WIDE OPEN MIND.

if you can't make the special show sunday, GO ANOTHER NIGHT!!! the show is running until january!!!!

love & art -
amanda

Morpheus Laughing

Marvellous. I asked about this in the shameless self-promotion section and you’ve answered my open ended question.

Amanda Palmer

• NAMASTE MOTHERFUCKER
  • Global Moderator

let me know if there are ticket SNAFUS
someone just posted on twitter that they thought it was sold out (seems unlikely it would happen THAT quickly).

zeroaltitude

Hi Amanda,

Here is what I experienced: the 7pm slot is sold out.  The next two slots were open.  So I registered for the 7:20 show.  Yay!

I put in the promotional code 'amanda', but nothing happened that I could tell.  The base ticket price appeared to remain 25.00, and the final cost with service charge was 33.50 or some-such.  Perhaps the promotional ticket rates had already been exhausted (of the 100 you said were available).  That's totally OK with me, just mentioning it for completeness.

I selected will-call.  To confirm what I think I gathered from your post: after the performance, I can take that ticket and get in to see your show at the Manderley?

I was already going to see this immensely intriguing show.  I'm so happy that you've effectively set the date on which I am going to do that!

Mwah,

~@ZeroAltitude

Morpheus Laughing

AFP should plan a well-timed visit for when punchdrunk come back to England for a similar secret show (Hopefully giving plenty of notice). Now that I’ve been hit with all this enthusiasm, I’m feeling very much more excited about the idea.

Great that it’s selling well. I’ll have to remember this in a few months or so.

Ivyo

Ok, I may be going alone, but I just got a ticket for the 7:40 show! Just couldn't pass up the chance to see this production AND Amanda!

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight

just switched my subscriber ticket over!

A.R.T. + amanda ! ! ! ! !
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

zeynep

I'm very excited for this! Just got my 7:40 ticket. It does seem like I might have to go alone but I'm not missing this opportunity since the Boston show is off and I can't be here for New Year's :) I know I'm a newbie but I was wondering whether people who will be going by themselves like me would want to meet up beforehand?

arkham

• I am not normal...

OMG, this sounds amazing.

I wish I could get cross country for this, but alas.
--Arkham : The Blackened Hatter

Chris Con

• God is a place where some holy spectacle lies.
    • My twitter...

holy shit this sounds fucking cool.

i wish i lived in boston

The Accidental Robot

Does anyone know how long the performance lasts? not Amanda's but the actual play itself?
I can't make it to the AFP show but am going to the New Years Eve show and this seems like something cool to do before hand. I just want to make sure I can get in and out before having to be at Symphony Hall at 10...

Morpheus Laughing

She plays at 10pm....

Amanda Palmer

• NAMASTE MOTHERFUCKER
  • Global Moderator

looks like that shiznit is sold out, or a few tickets off.

this is going to be so awesome.

pope is coming to film, all shall be youtubed.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up