THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sainthood  (Read 14816 times)

Half Mar

• steals flamingos and gnomes.
  • Cake Sex Riot
    • Drumssss!
Sainthood
« on: October 18, 2009, 04:33:32 PM »

Tegan and Sara's new album is coming up. Sainthood will be released 27 october (in some countries a few days before that), and it will be streamed online on 20 october. But, the album has already leaked, so a lot have probably already heard it. To keep things together, instead of spamming the random thought topic, I thought I might make a thread dedicated to the album. So post your thoughts about it here!

I listened to it yesterday evening, and it has been on repeat since then. I really love all the songs. It has quite a different vibe, compared to the previous albums, but I am really digging it. The lyrics seem more mature to me. My absolute favourite at the moment is Someday, but as I said, all the songs are amazing.
Quote from: Audrey
she's captain of the awesome ship
Quote from: Lucy
if you had a giant spoon you could scoop up an evil person with that spoon and feed them to a giant for breakfast -like a good hearty bowl of evil
Quote from: Chloe
my flatmates can suck on my meat loaf

Chloe

• Cosmic Dancer.
Re: Sainthood
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 04:41:35 PM »

I feel like reposting my post for being naughty and nearly spamming..but i shall hunt for some songs from the album right now and report back to base!
Just because your mom slept with her doesn't make her a lesbian.

Half Mar

• Cake Sex Riot
    • Drumssss!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 04:44:17 PM »

Haha nooo, it isn't that much spam actually. But I thought this would be a bit more clear, instead of quoting all the time in the other thread :)
if you had a giant spoon you could scoop up an evil person with that spoon and feed them to a giant for breakfast -like a good hearty bowl of evil

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 04:47:57 PM »

Was thinking about downloading it earlier but I didn't because Johnny guilt tripped me and then I felt bad so I decided not to.
Guns N' Roses are red, violets are funny...

Unbreakable toys are useful for breaking other toys.

I witnessed the Cake Sex Riot-4/3/12. Pray for me.
☑✝
☒♀+cake

Pliwood180

• Americana, tropicana
  • We have got to take cover, brother.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 05:31:38 PM »

I'm excited.  O0

Cirque

• will emerge from the cocoon as a
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 05:49:11 PM »

I love it.

Especially north shore and Paper back head.

Half Mar

• Cake Sex Riot
    • Drumssss!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 06:03:08 PM »

Ah yes, Northshore. I want to scream along to it, but I don't know the lyrics completely yet :P

Jo Just Go Nameless

• I spread my legs for venus...
  • Right in the canuck...
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:05:35 AM »

Hmmm my two cents,

Back when the Con was first released I downloaded the advance for a friend I had recently just met and who was obsessed with Tegan and Sara so that she could hear the album (on an aside, she's now my gf) and I listened to it knowing who the band was, and having So Jealous on my computer but never really playing it or being a big fan. On initial listening, I did not like The Con really at all. The title track and Soil Soil immediately stood out and I loved them but I just didn't get the rest. I hated Like O Like H and Floorplan especially. Then, after listening to the album again and a lot it grew to be one of the best albums I had heard in the past few years and the two tracks I hated became my firm favorites...

Sooooooo in the run up to Sainthood, my gf and I were discussing it and whatnot and she was insanely excited and had very high hopes for the record, had overplayed the live versions from rifflandia and was prepared to be blown away. I on the other hand remembered how the Con was for me and wasn't expecting anything from Sainthood as I thought it would be another grower.

After us both listening to the leak ( I know, naughty naughty) she is really not digging it so much. On the first listen I immediately knew I was going to like it and was very pleasantly suprised. I love that it's different and that they have grown and the sound sounds much fuller and accomplished. I love that they didn't rest on their laurels and churn out The Con v 2.0 and actively experimented. Sara's songs are all amazing, and I think Tegan has came out with a few risks and pulled them off really well. I can sense that people may be turned off by this album because of the lack of a 'Call It Off' or 'Soil, Soil' type song on the album and reading fans reviews I keep hearing that over and over again but I think the more people give it a chance and listen to it they'll grow to love it as much as they love the con. At the moment, I'm really enjoying Sentimental Tune yup.

Wednesday Friday

• they can land that plane on my heart I don't care
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 09:42:56 AM »

^ Interesting thoughts. I think I am in the same camp as your girlfriend, though. I had a lot of expectations after The Con, it's been one of my favourite albums of these past 2 years. I loved it because although it was catchy pop music, it was also strange and interesting and had so much depth to it. It was strong lyrically as well, you could listen to it many times over and discover new things each time, and come up with endless interpretations. Sainthood seems very straight up and down to me. I was a bit taken aback by the direction they went with in terms of the overall sound and direction. When I first heard that Chris Walla would be producing it again I was excited because I thought he did an excellent job helping them to craft the sound of The Con, the beautifully weird, delicate arrangements and the subtle electro elements. Everything just meshed so perfectly. Musically so far I have found Sainthood to be rather boring and generic, not only that, I think it often sounds disjointed and jarring (not in a good way) and doesn't flow very well. Lyrically also I don't think there's anywhere near as much depth as there was to The Con.

I don't want to be cynical but it is a much more accessible and commercial sounding record, so I can see how that would appeal to their ever expanding and increasingly younger fanbase. Although whether that was intentional or not I don't know.

Anyway, I'm gonna give it time, and maybe it will sound way better on the proper CD when it arrives...hope it's a grower.

Jo Just Go Nameless

• I spread my legs for venus...
  • Right in the canuck...
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »

I don't want to be cynical but it is a much more accessible and commercial sounding record, so I can see how that would appeal to their ever expanding and increasingly younger fanbase. Although whether that was intentional or not I don't know.

I have had similar thoughts upon hearing it the first time round as well, I think that a lot of the songs sound very 'rock lite' to me on this album, which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing but it makes me like some of the songs a little less. 'Northshore' for example, seems like it should sound a little les polished than it does, I think though that it will be a lot better live when the instruments sound a little tougher, a little more real because at the moment I listen to it and hear it sounding like something that wouldn't be out of place on an Avril or Miley record :-\ I am excited to hear the songs live though, I think it will really enhance some of them.

Wednesday Friday

• they can land that plane on my heart I don't care
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 10:26:31 AM »

I have had similar thoughts upon hearing it the first time round as well, I think that a lot of the songs sound very 'rock lite' to me on this album, which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing but it makes me like some of the songs a little less. 'Northshore' for example, seems like it should sound a little les polished than it does, I think though that it will be a lot better live when the instruments sound a little tougher, a little more real because at the moment I listen to it and hear it sounding like something that wouldn't be out of place on an Avril or Miley record :-\ I am excited to hear the songs live though, I think it will really enhance some of them.

Yeah I absolutely agree. I think the songs may very well work much better in a live setting. I guess we will have to wait and see!

Hush

• this is where it ends.
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 12:09:08 PM »

So I was a bad girl and downloaded the leak as well (will be buying the album though). I listened to the whole thing a few times and I really like it! I think The Cure is my favorite so far; it's really poppy and it's so very Lovesong, but not to the point where it becomes a rip-off (like Lady Sovereign's So Human ripped of Close To Me. ughh.) I also really like Hell, Northshore and The Ocean. I think out of Sara's songs, Arrow and On Directing are my favorites so far but I'm gonna have to listen to her songs a bit more to really decide.. They usually take me the longest to get into, but I do love her songwriting.

bec

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 05:31:40 PM »

I've probably listened to the album 6 or 7 times now, and I really like it. to me, it will never be as good as The Con but that's okay. I got to know Tegan and Sara through that album so I think it will always be my favourite. I also like that this is the first album where Sara has the majority of the songs  :tongue7:

Chris Con

• God is a place where some holy spectacle lies.
    • My twitter...
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 11:05:53 PM »

i think all the songs are really good. im lovin sainthood & cant wait for the bonus tracks.
btw, sainthood will be officially streaming online tomorrow (the 20th)
even though us here have already heard it....
just thought id mention

Mandaz087

• Im good for nothing, will u love me just the same?
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 11:16:07 PM »

currently listening illegally lol but hopefully i'll have a copy soon...

i have to say so far it's really grown on me. the first time through i thought it was decent, but as i keep listening incessantly it just sounds better and better.

to be honest, t&s can really do no wrong in my opinion  :icon_rr:
*Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.*
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9  All   Go Up